Japan Obubu Kabuse Sencha Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Citrus, Floral, Grass, Marine, Seaweed, Umami, Butter, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “1,000 Tea Note!!!!! Yay! Of, course it’s during Interesting Times. lol (Edit: “‘And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.’” –...” Read full tasting note
  • “Spectacular! Worth every cent. Luscious, creamy, cloudy liquor resembles and tastes similar to miso soup with ample seaweed. Delicate floral notes and a grounding hint of earthy bitterness round...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A very smooth sencha with a creamy texture and umami taste coupled with a gentle sweetness.

One of Obubu’s higest grades of sencha produced by shading the tea plants for two weeks prior to picking the tea leaves.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth creamy texture
- Thick umami taste with a gentle sweetness

Harvest: Spring, May 2019

- Use 2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 30-45 seconds

Packaging: Resealable ziplock bag

About What-Cha View company

1,000 Tea Note!!!!! Yay! Of, course it’s during Interesting Times. lol (Edit: “‘And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.’” – Terry Pratchett in “Maskerade”)

Spring 2020 Harvest

This is currently one of my favourite teas of all time. I don’t know a lot about this type of tea or Japanese teas in general, and have only had a couple Kabuse Senchas in the past (I’ve loved them all). If anyone has recommendations of their favourites give me a shout!

I have yet to get anyone I know to hop on my Kabuse Sencha hype train; most people I’ve shared this with don’t find the appeal in the marine seaweed, sweet grass, and moss notes. There is a buttery umami quality as well, that when coupled with the former grassy marine aspects, taste of and also compliment most Japanese cuisine and seasonings (primarily miso and furikake).

There is a hint of citrus on third steep, after the marine has become diluted and the citric and sweet qualities of the green peaks through (comes across as mostly yuzu or kumquat, or citrus leaves). Its profile also often overlaps with matcha, which is how this tea variety hooked me in the first place. I had a cup with Chinese food the other day and it sure cut the grease.

I love how clean and savoury this tea is. While the beach isn’t really advisable right now, these verdant leaves provide similar sensory input and make me feel relaxed and at peace. It may be sappy, but it’s true and a reliable effect!

Rating: 95 Love, love, love. Essential repurchase with same or similar tea.

Steep Count: 3, at aprox. 30s each

Congratulations!

White Antlers

Wow! Congratulations!

Leafhopper

Congratulations on 1,000 tasting notes!

CrowKettle

Thanks everyone! :)

tea-sipper

ah, a beach, any beach. Happy 1,000!

Spectacular! Worth every cent. Luscious, creamy, cloudy liquor resembles and tastes similar to miso soup with ample seaweed. Delicate floral notes and a grounding hint of earthy bitterness round out the flavor. The nose is something special: it smells precisely like BeauFort London’s Fathom V with the florals boosted. For those unfamiliar, Fathom V calls to mind moss and musk, ozone and the sea, whipped-up white florals and velvety spices. It’s a merger of chypre and aquatic that I find reminiscent of a greenhouse, the section under the misters. I’d just applied some when I opened this bag and was briefly horribly confused.
A note: it is possible I brewed this hotter even than I recorded, as temperatures that low are difficult to eyeball. I think I may have as it resteeped acceptably, but not superbly. I also left my leaves in the pot, which could also have sapped them, but greens usually stand up admirably well to that treatment so I suspect I subjected it to a bit much heat. Will go lower next time and see how it affects longevity.

Flavors: Butter, Earth, Floral, Marine, Seaweed