White Tea
Ash, Asparagus, Astringent, Autumn Leaf Pile, Bamboo, Camphor, Char, Earth, Fishy, Green Wood, Honey, Musty, Cedar, Cocoa, Dust, Fig, Floral, Hay, Mineral, Moss, Pine, Raisins, Spicy, Wet Earth, Wet Rocks, Wet Wood, Apple Skins, Berry, Sweat, Wood, Grass, Herbs, Honeysuckle, Sweet, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

Available from 1 seller.

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
Our pure bud white tea is a very unique type of tea. Also known as yabao or white pu-erh, this tea is harvested in the late winter and sun-dried. It carries notes of pine needles in the aroma and a silky sweet mouthfeel with notes of rosemary, pine, and honeysuckle.

Our Wild Winter White Buds have the ability to be aged to develop more complex notes, similar to pu-erh. To age this tea, puncture a few dozen holes on each side of the packaging and store in a place away from strong odors and away from light and high humidity. Sun-dried teas will develop complex flavors over time. This tea is also very forgiving, and can be brewed however you see fit! The leaves will sink to the bottom of your cup should you choose not to strain them — this is my favorite way to drink this tea.

Notes
Pine
Rosemary
Honeysuckle

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 tablespoon of leaves

Caffeine Content
Medium-low

www.whisperingpinestea.com/yabao.html

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Delicious. I treat this the same way I steep/drink my Longjing – Pour water at correct temp into a tall glass, leave buds/leaves in, drink until 1/3 left and then add more water. Repeat until flavour is gone. Sometimes I even mix the two together; there is no bitterness that I can taste when doing this.
By itself:
The aroma is full of sweet pine. It reminds me of Whispering Pine’s Sleeping Bear.
The taste is what you’d expect from a white tea: light, delicate and a very gentle aftertaste of honey.
The buds dance around the tall glass going up and down throughout out the session.

Boiling 8 min or more

A late night tea session with these awesome little furry creatures. Aromatics upon opening are rosemary, sage, bold black pepper, balsa wood, light oregano and subtle but present cotton.

Rosemary and sage flavor notes along with pine, extremely subtle smoke, an odd but not unpleasant lime like flavor and even stranger pickle like brine present that all seemed to work well in unison with each other. Light buttery hued liquor more pronounced as the buds start to open up during each subsequent infusion. This needs to re-explored to see if I get these same characteristics in a future session.

6g of happy little buds, 120ml bone china teapot, 190F with 30s, 5s, 10s, 20s, 30s and counting up for numerous infusions as the buds just would not quit.

The buds o’ love:

The session:

190 °F / 87 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

I’ve made 4 decent purchases from Whispering Pines so I have like 20 types of teas and this is the only one I didn’t like. I’m still new to the tea scene and sometimes you have to learn by not liking a tea, we all have had it happen, but I LOVE the other teas which will be reviewed soon. Too much smoke and fish pond funk, and I hardly noticed the flavors everyone else does.

Flavors: Ash, Asparagus, Astringent, Autumn Leaf Pile, Bamboo, Camphor, Char, Earth, Fishy, Green Wood, Honey, Musty

Drank (brewed) “grandpa style” in a gaiwan. Yabao comes off as having a light sweet, somewhat floral with honeysuckle and pine notes to it.

180 °F / 82 °C

Today, I realized that I had yet to review any of the teas I recently ordered from Whispering Pines and decided that I needed to start on them. Not really being in the mood for anything heavy, I decided to brew some Yabao. All in all, I think it makes a good choice for a mild afternoon sip.

The first infusion poured a slight grey-green. The nose revealed a clean aroma with subtle mineral and floral undertones with a slight fruitiness. In the mouth, I detected mild notes of minerals, wet stones, and dried fruit (raisin and fig) underscored by woody, mossy, and grassy flavors that were joined by a fleeting floral note on the finish.

The second infusion yielded a somewhat more colorful glass of tea. The nose revealed an aroma that was woodier, spicier, and grassier than the first infusion. The mineral aroma lingered, but was not nearly as obvious, while subtle aromas of dried fruit were now joined by cocoa. In the mouth, notes of pine needles, cedar, juniper berry, fig, raisin, and prune were underscored by mellow cocoa and wet moss with mineral notes popping up again on the finish.

The third infusion yielded a slightly greenish tea. Aromas of moss and grass were now underscored by subtle scents of wet wood, dried fruit, and pine needles. In the mouth, I picked up more pine, cedar, and juniper balanced by grass and wet moss with a touch of minerality on the fade.

In the end, I found this tea to be somewhat confounding, but I wouldn’t call it bad. That would be both untrue and unfair because, for what it is, it is quite good. It’s just hard for me to recommend this tea without reservations. As far as white teas go, this is very mild, clean, and subtle. At the same time, however, it is very earthy and woody. It is a tea that will challenge you to really ponder the aroma and taste sensations you experience and reach for new ways to describe them. I do not think it would make a great introduction to white tea, but I think that it could be a very pleasant sip for those who have experience with white teas and appreciate them. All in all, I like this tea, I just wouldn’t recommend that someone looking to get into white tea start here.

Flavors: Cedar, Cocoa, Dust, Fig, Floral, Hay, Mineral, Moss, Musty, Pine, Raisins, Spicy, Wet Earth, Wet Rocks, Wet Wood

I forgot to smell the dry leaves for my review but the wet aroma is really nice, up front you get notes of sawdust and dandelion with a background note of peach.

As with most Ya Bao the infusion is almost colorless even after a minute of steeping. I’m brewing this in a gaiwan with the gaiwan about 1/3 full of buds. The first infusion of this is subtle and a bit fruity, like apple or pear. It’s mildly sweet, with a lingering afteraste like cork or bamboo and a long lingering subtle sweetness.

The second infusion has a more rich flavor, not at all subtle now, very sweet and berry-like with a woody finish and a bit of lingering dryness on the tongue. The sweetness and flavor both really linger a long time with this tea. I’m only two infusions in and I can already say this is the best Ya Bao I’ve had.

The third infusion has a bit of a cedar taste to it, and is more woody and less sweet than the last two, though it is still considerably sweet. There are hints of pepper and juniper berry in the finish.

I really like this Ya Bao. It’s got the most complexity and well-rounded flavor of any I’ve had. I think I know where I’ll be refilling when I run out.

Flavors: Apple Skins, Bamboo, Berry, Cedar, Sweat, Wood

TheLastDodo included some of this in her swap. Thank you!

Brewing method: gongfu session with a ruyao easy gaiwan and cup set. Steeping times: 20, 15, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60, 3 min, 6 min.

I have only drunk yabao once, almost three years ago, when I was a very new to Chinese tea drinking. I wasn’t impressed. There was a spicy note I didn’t take to. I chose this yabao as the first to try from Dodo’s selection because of my faith in Whispering Pines.

This yabao reminds of evergreen trees. It has notes of needles and sap, and lengthy aftertaste of juniper berries, followed by cherries. I would say it is excellent to drink all year round, as evergreens keep their needles. It evokes the green seasons and provides a sense of green in the middle of winter. I am enamored with the beauty of pines, spruces, cedars, firs, yews, and so on. When I am bird-watching and come across a cluster of evergreens in a deciduous woods, something pulls me away from the birds and I must stop. (Well, also, there is always a chance of a Red-breasted Nuthatch or an owl in them during wintertime.) It is a different kind of atmosphere. The wind sounds different blowing between needles.

0 OZ / 0 ML
rosebudmelissa

Lovely description!

KiwiDelight

Thank you!

I’m going to throw out there right off the bat, this isn’t a negative or positive review. For me, this was a pretty forgetful cup of tea. Neither good nor bad. I am going to mention, however, that I am aging the rest of my batch in the hopes of improving the experience.

The leaf is very pretty with it’s unusual shape and silver-white tips. It has a very gentle, subtle aroma reminiscent of sweet hay or grass. I brewed this tea several ways. Last night, before bed, I made a 16 oz pot using the temperature and steeping guides provided on the Whispering Pines website (2 tbsp at 200 for 3 minutes). The tea steeped to a pale gold with a mellow (almost non-existent) grassy flavor. The second steeping I left in for much longer (15-20 minutes) but it didn’t strengthen the flavor at all.

This morning I made another cup using the alternative method most people seemed to have used. I dropped a whole tbsp straight into my cup and drank it unstrained. I left this one to steep much longer than recommended and while this did make for a slightly more bold flavor and adding hay to those grassy notes, it still wasn’t enough to satisfy. Adding another tbsp to the second steeping and leaving it for even longer still didn’t produce more flavor.

While I do enjoy a subtle tea this was far too mellow for me to really get behind. I will eventually use what is left of my stock but if aging doesn’t help I likely won’t be purchasing this leaf again. If you like those subtle flavors however then this is the tea for you.

Flavors: Grass, Hay

This might be one of the most interesting teas I have ever had. It is making me CRAZY that I can’t pinpoint the exact herb/savory flavor that this so strongly reminds me of. It is food for sure. Makes me nuts.

Anyway, this is sweet while also being a bit savory and definitely has strong pine and herb components. I steeped it twice before needing to go to sleep and I enjoyed it very much. Here’s hoping I pinpoint the flavor or flavor combo that is evading me…

So, I got Chef Darcy laid using the power of tea!

Chef Darcy is the guy who comes in and teaches cooking classes at work; basically he’s there five days a week and he just picks things he wants to cook and then teaches how to make them totally fresh and from scratch. Everything he cooks with comes from the store, and so in that way he’s kind of advertising the products for us. As an example, he did a Lobster Alfredo and he start with killing your lobster – no prepackaged stuff in his classes! I do the art for the whiteboard out front advertising the class, when I have time during my shift that is – and when whatever he’s doing is something I can put together a picture for.

When Tea Ave. sent me a second sample set I tried to think of who I knew in person who would actually appreciate it, take the time to learn how to use the equipment properly, and then use and enjoy it. I was torn between my friend Robyn and Darcy – but I bombarded Robyn with tea not too long ago, so I gave the second set to Darcy along with a sample of this tea because I’d been talking about it and he’d expressed a lot of interest in it. Well, the set went over well because he and his girlfriend took the time to learn how to use everything and then did tastings of all three teas together! And, she thought it was a really romantic and sweet activity and, well…

TEA; GETTING PEOPLE LAID SINCEWELL PROBABLY SINCE A LONG TIME.

When I portioned out a sample of this one for Darcy, I left the bag out for myself too so I could come back from work and enjoy a pot of it – which I did. I’ve only had this one a few times now, but I’m very much enjoying it and of the WP teas I got on Cyber Monday it’s the only one I know with absolute certainty I’d want to order again (it’s also the most affordable of the ones I purchased; which is a super happy coincidence)!

My jot notes from the pot:

- Cream! SO MUCH CREAM!
- Silky/smooth thicker mouthfeel
- Corn and hay notes
- Corn is like a sweeter Peaches & Cream corn!
- Peaches & Cream Creamed Corn? Is that a thing?
- Creamed honey notes too; especially in the aftertaste
- More herbaceous the longer it steeped
- A little pine? I’m still not sure if that’s really the right word for what I’m tasting…
- But given it’s meant to be pine wood and not needles, it’s probably the right word

And, now that I’ve recently had that Dian Yin Zhen from Nannuoshan I’m recollecting a note that was very present in both cups; though struggling to identify what that note is because, skimming through tasting notes I’ve done for both respective teas, I haven’t really used the same flavour descriptors. Maybe it’s the pine? I didn’t mention tasting pine with the Nannuoshan blend because I only tasted it a few times and so fleetingly, it was a little hard to pick out from the other flavours. But, it’s the only thing that the two really have in common…

So; very comparable pine notes I guess?

Anywho, bumping my rating up.

Cheri

I love this tea. I’ve never used to to get laid, though. Thanks for the tip!!!

OMGsrsly