Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by marleau

• “I saw ashmanra's post of a hoji-cha and remembered I have this version. For the life of me I couldn't recall what it tasted like. One sniff of the dry leaf and it all came back. To me its like...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1386 tasting notes
  • “Tastes pleasantly like dried apple or maple wood. Twiggy. Made for a wonderful afternoon ahhhh break at work. I needed one. Felt like a ham hock being dangled in an aquarium full of piranhas....” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1757 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Stephanie* for this one! I've never had hojicha before, so I was a little apprehensive. Unnecessarily so, as it turns out. This ain't half bad. It smells and tastes like near-burnt...” Read full tasting note
    Kaylee 397 tasting notes
  • “The aroma of the tea vaguely reminds me of a lower grade Oolong and is very pleasant. It is not an overpowering aroma and has a tendency to fade pretty quickly. The taste is great, Hoji-cha...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 412 tasting notes

From Yamamotoyama

A roasted green tea.

About Yamamotoyama View company

I saw ashmanra’s post of a hoji-cha and remembered I have this version. For the life of me I couldn’t recall what it tasted like. One sniff of the dry leaf and it all came back. To me its like genmaicha without the puffed rice. Toasted bancha leaf. Well really fannings as this is a very inexpensive bagged version. Still it was quite enjoyable this morning. Yamamotoyama does cheap well.

I looked back at my previous tasting note – it was the middle of the summer and I was all concerned because the mill was talking strike. Oh the simple days, when I had a job, and money. I do have tea and a wife that loves me. Who needs steak.

Stephanie

I enjoy this one, too. And it’s so cheap! :)

Bonnie

You have friends too!!! We all love you! I don’t have much money ever either, but having peace and knowing that even alone, God loves me… gives me great joy.

tea, tea friends…AND a wife who loves you? you’re ahead of the game and damn lucky! :) happy to share this neck of the woods with you.

K S

Thanks! Reading back I sound more melancholy than I intended. I remain optimistic. My job searching has revealed to me I am far more disabled than I care to admit. I am now trying to find an attorney to help with the process. My nurse practitioner tried to convince me two years ago. I just didn’t want to hear it. I have never been one to let a challenge stop me. Now the challenge is learning to accept help when I need it. It really isn’t a pride thing with me, it is a determination thing. Never give up and never give in, except to God’s love.

gmathis

Amen. Been reading about Solomon and all his worldly chattel recently. Scriptural proof that excess just drags you down :)

I feel sure I’ve seen that little gold and blue ha-cha-cha (I know that’s not how you pronounce it) box at Fox Farm. May need to investigate.

seule771

So true, if I may bud in. I am shop-a-holic and all the stuff I bring home from splurge and impulse; I don’t enjoy when I don’t see where to put them. Then I get the mail reminding me of all the money I owe. Sorry if not sticking to topic. Best!

Tastes pleasantly like dried apple or maple wood. Twiggy.

(Our seasonal crazy time.)

K S

Didn’t see anything like this in your reviews. I wasn’t sure you would get it. Glad you did. This is really inexpensive. Now I will have to see if I can catch the apple or maple wood.

gmathis

The spelling always makes me think of “Ha-cha-cha.”

gmathis

Think fresh lumber, not pancake syrup :)

K S

Oh, lumber! Now whose striking the manly pose?

gmathis

Michael Palin, of course. He’s a lumberjack and he’s OK…

ashmanra

Gmathis: Aw, man! You beat me to the Lumberjack Song!

Thanks to Stephanie for this one!

I’ve never had hojicha before, so I was a little apprehensive. Unnecessarily so, as it turns out. This ain’t half bad. It smells and tastes like near-burnt toast. This is pretty one-note, but nice. It went well with a bagel and cream cheese (I tasted it on its own first to evaluate the flavor).

Stephanie

Yeah, it’s bagged so mediocre quality, but good intro houjicha

The taste is great, Hoji-cha might be my favorite tea from Yamamotoyama Teas. The subtle smokiness with the rich taste of green is an excellent blend of flavors.

Great for an Autumn day, I find the flavors evoke the smoky quality of the air, the crispness and the color of the leaves

I tried some Hoji-cha in Japan and was so excited to see it here in the USA imported. This one was pretty meh. I didn’t really enjoy it at all – so little that I ended up giving the box away to a friend. The taste was very plain and watery, and it didn’t have the interesting complex flavors that I had enjoyed in Japan. It wasn’t at a fancy place either, just at a random small local restaurant in Kyoto. I think this one maybe is just very cheap, the price was certainly right. I think I’ll have to search around for a better Hoji-cha before I make a real judgement on the variety of tea itself. I wanted to like it a lot but found myself not really enjoying it at all.