2002 Yong Pin Hao "Red Yi Wu Zheng Shan" Raw Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Apricot, Grapes, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Dag Wedin
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 oz / 113 ml

• “Wow, best Sheng ivé tried so far. I did a comparisonbrewing in hopes of finding a suitable tea that works well with Zini yixingpot. Shu seems to work well, and is the only type of tea that ive...” Read full tasting note
    Dagwed 234 tasting notes
  • “7g used. Note#1: The chlorine in later observed in later steeps may have been due to my tap water. Note#2: This is a subtle tea; it does not have the concentrated herbyness. However; it has a good...” Read full tasting note
    tea123 26 tasting notes
  • “I've had this cake since last spring, and sort of forgot about it. Though it has been trying real hard to get my attention because it is extremely fragrant and I realize it has been one of the...” Read full tasting note
    Cwyn 52 tasting notes
  • “Revisiting this one after a few months well stored with humidity monitored. Entirely first flush of Spring 2002. Traditional hand-processing used with these leaves. Heavy stone presses to form...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 301 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

2002 Yong Pin Hao “Red Yi Wu Zheng Shan” Raw Pu-erh tea from Yi Wu Mountain

First flush of spring 2002 wild arbor tea from Yi Wu mountains. An early Yong Pin Hao production with incredibly nice flavor and cha qi. As it’s difficult to describe the experience of drinking this exquisite tea, we encourage you to try the samples we offer.

400 grams per cake

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Wow, best Sheng ivé tried so far.
Shu seems to work well, and is the only type of tea that ive tried sofar that taste better in a Zinipot (brownish purple) then a neutral vessel. (darjeeling, yunnan, japanese, green, white, young sheng)
But however.
5g / 90ml celeadon gaiwan @ 100C
5g / 100ml Zini Yixingpot @ 100C

wash/5s/5s/10/10s/15s/20s added 5-10s per following steeping to about 12 :)
First steeping was bland, this tea obviously needs to be washed twice.

Second steeping surprised me. It was kind of intense, very little of the earthy tones i expected. More ripe fruit and a very noticable charred taste. Probably from the panfrying.
This subsided after a few infusions. But it kept it´s vigor to the end. 12 infusions is quite enough with dual brewing….

This older sheng worked somewhat better in the Zini but it didn´t improve the taste, more like it was equal to the gaiwan. Perhaps abit stronger aftertaste.

Will order a few samples from older sheng to try them out. I must say i miss that dry astringency from younger sheng, but the intensity was very nice! When i find that combination i will get a cake right away :)

Since im relatively new to pu-erh, i´d welcome some pointers.

Asaf Mazar

I have read good things about this tea, particularly the over 10 year old vintages.

7g used.
Note#2: This is a subtle tea; it does not have the concentrated herbyness. However; it has a good delivery and form, and I will score it highly for that. The cha qi also contributes to the score.

Dry leaf is colourful with medium compression.
Wet leaf is subdued fruit, complex herbyness and slightly mysterious with some cloudy smoke. This sounds promising.
5s – Interesting. Makes me feel a bit light headed. It’s mild, lightly plummy with no astringency. Super smooth.
10s – Liquor is dark yellow. It has raisins / apricot and they really stand out. Thick fruit with raisins, especially on the swallow. Contrasting bitterness on the swallow. The flavour arrives smoothly, lingers, then fades away; it does not drop off early. This tea is strangely commanding in a subtle way.
15s – Liquor is darkish orange. It is well balanced: the arrival to the finish and the flavour profile are very pleasing throughout. If it were music I’d say it was in the high range and sounding very good.
20s – Apricot, bright plums and raisins in one explosion, then after swallowing the flavour remains before fading away.
25s – Some chlorine, some astringency. I think this would taste better after it cools.
25s – I will have to let this one cool, as it tastes like water from a swimming pool… Still fruity, raisins, getting more astringent.

7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’ve had this cake since last spring, and sort of forgot about it. Though it has been trying real hard to get my attention because it is extremely fragrant and I realize it has been one of the stronger smelling cakes in my tea fridge.

Brewed up 9 grams in 125 ml water, got a very thick orange syrup with the usual Yiwu floral, grape and vegetal notes. This tea is definitely one of the thickest shengs I’ve had to date. I’m not sure if the cake just turned over the summer, but reading DigniTea’s note on this from 5 months ago, am noting a honey yellow brew in DigniTea’s session. Mine is definitely orange with a red ring around the outside. At 12 years though, a cake is due to finish up the faster part of its fermentation and then slow down for a number of years afterward. Maybe the cake is just at that stage.

It’s a good tea, and I’m glad to have it. More middle of the road for Yiwu, better than the low end, but not long steeping like white2tea’s 1998 Yiwu or 2014 Last Thoughts that steep out past 30. I’m long brewing at 10 steeps with this Yong Pin Hao. Or maybe I’m just getting to that stage of puerh addiction where I just need more and more tea to get that tea buzz going. Four cups of this and I’m not there yet.

Seems like the 2003 Yong Pin Hao 100 gram tuos comprised of Yiwu tea bits for $6.50 might be a better way to go for regular drinking. The Yiwus I have now are special occasion teas. I don’t have the time for that kind of thinking. Drink it up!

I did post a photo of the first steep on my blog if people want to see the color of the brew that I got from this one.

Flavors: Apricot, Grapes, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
boychik

pleasure reading your blog as usual;)

mrmopar

+1 with boychick’s comment.

Cwyn

Thanks guys! The post wouldn’t have been as much fun to do without a couple of Steepster peeps having reviewed this tea earlier this year, so I wanted to make sure I have a note here too.

Revisiting this one after a few months well stored with humidity monitored.
Entirely first flush of Spring 2002. Traditional hand-processing used with these leaves. Heavy stone presses to form the cake from naturally growing (wild arbor) trees that are 100 to 200 years of age. After compression the tea was dried naturally without baking to preserve its natural state.
Nice leaves – many whole leaf/bud sets but also a number of broken pieces including stems. The dry leaves have the typical Yiwu fruity smell. The brewed tea is thick and sweet with a bronze liquor (quickly became a bit darker and more orange-like as the steepings increased which I have also found in other teas with a little age on them). The aroma is aromatic and honey sweet. Good mouth action – penetrating in the mouth and throat, bringing a bit of salivation. The sip is thick and satisfying with good texture. A broad taste profile (apricot, plum, spice, wood) and a pleasant sweet finish. The wet leaves are solid and heavy. No bitterness at all – a very clean taste. While not my favorite YiWu, overall I find this tea rather enjoyable – smooth and sweet with good character.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML