Wu Yi Shan Rock Tea "Classic Rou Gui" Oolong tea

Oolong Tea
Caramel, Cinnamon, Floral, Mineral, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “Used my new 140ml yixing for this tasting and I anticipated a good tasting but alas I screwed up. I used 3 gm tea for the preparation and steeped initially for 20 seconds at 190F and got a limpid...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 56 tasting notes
  • “Creamy texture and caramel, spice, and fruit notes. Slight mineral quality, excellent cinnamon/floral aroma. This is the best Wuyi I've had, though that being said I haven't had very many.” Read full tasting note
    tperez 107 tasting notes
  • “ *Dry* - A 'dark' / roasted sweetness, mineral oolong notes, some wood-spice (Cinnamon? not getting clear Cinnamon notes), Caramel. *Wet* - Oolong mineral/rock notes, very floral, wood-spice notes,...” Read full tasting note
    jcov 152 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Rou Gui means Cinnamon in Chinese (肉桂茶). It’s varietal of Wu Yi Mountain rock tea that has been around since the Qing Dynasty. First flush of spring tea is picked, wilted, fried, wilted again then lightly roasted to bring out it’s subtle bouquet of aroma and tastes.

Our Rou Gui is a medium roast level and can be brewed 6 to 8 times easily using the gong fu method of brewing. The brewed tea produces a golden tea soup with hints of fruit and chocolate. A lovely tea that can accompany you on almost any tea session.

Late May 2013 harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Used my new 140ml yixing for this tasting and I anticipated a good tasting but alas I screwed up. I used 3 gm tea for the preparation and steeped initially for 20 seconds at 190F and got a limpid tea. I let the next steep go for 30 seconds and it was better but not quite right, still a little thin. I guess I need a little more tes say 5 gm. There was no cinnamon or robust florals as in other Rou Guis I’ve try, so back to the lab, hope its not the tea as it was a sample and I would hope you give out a sample to attract not repel.

This is the best Wuyi I’ve had, though that being said I haven’t had very many.

Flavors: Caramel, Cinnamon, Floral, Mineral

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I really really liked the one from Tao Tea Leaf. Not that I’ve tried many

Sammerz314

I live about 10 minutes from Tao Tea Leaf =) LOL

mrmopar

Lucky dog to be that close…

boychik

Omg. I would be there every day. Everything I tried from them was great. Can’t wait for the next sale;)

Dry – A ‘dark’ / roasted sweetness, mineral oolong notes, some wood-spice (Cinnamon? not getting clear Cinnamon notes), Caramel.
Wet – Oolong mineral/rock notes, very floral, wood-spice notes, sweetness that comes from a roasted/dark source not so much line honey.
Liquor – Copper — very aromatic of Wood-spice(Cinnamon), Honey, mineral, floral and roasted sweetness.

This tea is very aromatic, it has very apparent floral-bitter/tart notes that emanate from the cup, sweet mesquite honey notes and finally get an apparent Cinnamon/wood-spice scent followed by the hallmark mineral/rock/hay Oolong notes.

The liquor is fairly smooth but pieces are not uncommon, filter if you don’t want residual astringency, however I feel like this is very pleasant. It wears all of its floral notes well, the Cinnamon character is lacking in my opinion; mostly caramel sweetness with floral and mineral. As it goes down some more of the wood-spice notes come forward and after a while the Cinnamon is more clear. This is definitely a tea to keep at work, I’ve done very short steeps and some a bit longer and the taste barely changes. It doesn’t endure much in western cup style, I’d stick to using portable Gong Fu methods, and enjoy 3-5 good cups.

Nothing too special. A great cup of work, the aroma is VERY enjoyable, definitely its best trait.

Flavors: Caramel, Floral, Mineral, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 5 g 6 OZ / 170 ML
boychik

Thank you for reviewing this tea. i bought it but wasnt able to sample it. Im at my summer house now. But i tried Jing Tea shop version. it was very good but i dont think it was rich enough. JTS is medium roasted. Is YS heavy roasted?

JC

I think this one is medium roasted, but think in the higher range of what you consider medium roast. There’s still some dark green color in the leaves, but not much cinnamon taste, it is mostly in the aftertaste. I bought a bag of this and Scott sent me sample of another Oolong which in my opinion knocks this one out of the table. I’ll update once I get home and let you know the name of that one in case you want to sample it. :)

boychik

Pls do. BTW have you tried that Ya Shi Xiang Dan Cong (duck shit). name is just gross. i wonder if its good.

JC

LOL! I haven’t. I want to try it, but I have to wait until my next tea order. I find the name funny, and wonder if it does indeed smell like Duck shit. I used to visit a farming family as a little kid and I know the scent.

boychik

I’m in Pocono,PA now. We have ducks in the lake and everywhere. and in a pool which is annoying. I wouldn’t want my kids to swim in duck poop. I don’t mind looking at them from a distance.

JC

The other Oolong Scott sent me was 2013 Spring AA Grade “Hua Xiang Shui Xian”. I feel like this one is a step up to the Classic Rou Gui.

boychik

thanks, will put it on wishlist ;)