Imperial Gold Needle Yunnan Black Tea

Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Alcohol, Dates, Plums, Broth, Meat, Smooth, Sweet Potatoes, Creamy, Sweet, Thick, Floral, Melon, Cucumber, Honeydew, Pastries
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

• “sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6146 tasting notes
  • “Oh Glorious Day Off!! Yes, there is no school today, no bratty kids to attempt to mentor, no 5am alarm, no real schedule until my private students start arriving at 4:00, so I slept in until I was...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3123 tasting notes
  • “I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • Autumn 2013 This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was...” Read full tasting note
    Scharp 115 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

A kind of chocolate and malt taste comes from the brewed gold-orange tea soup. Aroma is thick and sweet. An enjoyable experience comes from the aroma, flavor and appearance of this lovely tea.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and i’m still working as some things came to light from last night’s testing that i need to sort out. I love this tea and i can’t even explain why. there’s something about it that just makes me want to drink it. Plus the leaves always make me smile :)

Oh Glorious Day Off!!
Yes, there is no school today, no bratty kids to attempt to mentor, no 5am alarm, no real schedule until my private students start arriving at 4:00, so I slept in until I was well rested (8:30), & have been sipping many short steeping with this lovely lovely tea, truly one of my favorite Black teas from YS. I have quite a bit of desk work to do this morning, a few errands to run (maybe), & then NaNoWriMo! Hopefully I’ll get caught up to where I’d like to be!
Now for more tea :)

Cameron B.

Yay! I’m so glad you don’t have to deal with spoiled brats today. I could never be a teacher. :P

Terri HarpLady

I love teaching students when they want to learn, & I especially enjoy teaching one on one. It really is wonderful to get to know each student, with their strengths & weaknesses, their talent & potential, and guide them along their growing edge. Its very gratifying :)

Teaching classes of 10 kids in the city is frustrating, because there might be a few students in each group who actually want to learn, but then there are also at least 2 or 3 who live to disrupt, & have been allowed to get attention through disruptive behavior, so that is their mode of operation. Sometimes I can help them to see that there are other ways to be acknowledged, & when that happens I get to watch them begin to blossom, & I love that. I have one young lady on the cusp of this realization, going back & forth between old behaviors meant to elicit anger, yelling, etc on my part (which do transfer a lot of energy in her direction, but which I refuse to participate in, as I don’t want to validate those kinds of behaviors) & actually playing her harp, for which I give ample approval & validation. When she’s acting out & not on task & demanding attention, my comment is something along the lines of, “When you’re ready to calm down, practice, & be patient, I will be glad to work with you. Until then, I’ll work with somebody else.” She usually gets even louder & more outrageous, sometimes for the rest of the class period. But we are starting to have some good days :)
She is one of 5 kids in her class that act like that…
In another class I have 2 more just like her, only they aren’t coming around at all :(
And my 6th grade class is full of kids like that…sigh…

Cameron B.

My mother is an elementary school teacher, and the stories are always horrendous… It’s pretty clear that a lot of parents do not know how to discipline their children these days. I’m sure it’s heavily age dependent as well, and I would never be one to choose to be around young children…

I hope you continue to help them all move in the right direction. Changing the world, one child at a time! :P

Terri HarpLady

As the say, it takes a whole village to raise a child ;)

mrmopar

But the ones who really pay attention will learn no matter what. Even some the seem not to pay attention deep inside really are.

gmathis

Sixth grade is a rough age—they’re too young or too old to belong anywhere. Around spring break, my fifth graders start showing those tendencies…with the group I’m teaching this year (most Sundays are like driving a dogsled pulled by manic Dobermans), the ride promises to be wild. Gotta love their uh, enthusiasm!

Terri HarpLady

I wish some of them knew what an inside voice was…

gmathis

May not work with your bunch, as they are older; but sometimes with mine, I’ll just start whispering to someone who is listening—takes a minute, but when they figure out they are missing something, they’ll settle down to eavesdrop.

I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was expecting. This is a great cup. Thanks Terri Harplady!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve really enjoyed the teas I got from YS, & actually I’m drinking my first steep of this one right now!

Autumn 2013
This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant, and smelled wonderful- a scent matching the beautiful leaves.

The dried leaves were a rich golden color, and were very straight and pointed. The brewed leaves retained the wonderful qualities of the dried tea, and produced a very refreshing brew- a bit of maltiness, floral notes, and a sweet aftertaste with hints of chocolate in the finish. Each steeping changed only slightly, increasing in floral notes.

While packing up the GCTTB yesterday I found this among my black teas pretty much ignored since I’ve purchased it. The bag looked full and I haven’t left a review. Shame shame! How could I have ignored this tea? It’s so good!

Brewed it Western style . This is a delicious bready, maltly brew. It’s got chocolate notes too which I love in black teas. The chocolate is not as prominent as some Fujian blacks but it’s still good. There’s also a honey sweetness to it. What a fantastic tea. also love the golden colour of the leaves. So pretty.

I’d like to add some of this to the GCTTB but I had trouble getting it closed already.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Malt

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Drank this one yesterday – It was pretty good, all the nice notes that I like in golden Yunnan blacks.
Just wasn’t to say thanks Sil

Thank you Sil, for this sample!

I am a sucker for golden Yunnan teas, and this one is delicious. Rich and malty, with notes of dates, plums and slightly alcoholic tasting. Faint astringency, no bitterness.

I think I measured out 2g of this, and steeped it for 4 minutes at 96C.

Flavors: Alcohol, Dates, Malt, Plums

love swaps for not having to buy 50g-100g before tasting things! terri turned me on to this one!

Anlina

Swaps are seriously the best.

yeah i hadn’t been swapping for a while…. yours was the first in a bit after i got burned by someone not swapping back :(

Anlina

Boo, that sucks. I’ve only had one swap go bad, and I think the package coming to me must have got lost in the mail, because the person sending it had several other successful swaps under their belt. Sadly, they stopped being active on Steepster and so I was never able to follow up with them.

I haven’t sent out your package yet – I’m waiting for sample sized bags to come in the mail, as I ran out without realizing it, and they’re non-permeable, so really nice for tea.

no worries on sending it out later. i can handle the wait haha

Dexter

Awww that’s so sad :(( I would be more than happy to send both of you a care package to makeup for the “lost” swap packages.

Anlina

Aww that is so sweet Dexter. Don’t worry about me though – while I was looking forward to trying the teas I was swapping for, I’m not overall too worried about it. I have more tea than I know what to do with. And once I get organized, we will be setting up a swap anyway :)

hahaha dexter… you’ll send me tea regardless lol

Soo I’ve only tried the Autumn version of this tea last year. It tasted like honey and sweet potatoes. It was incredible! I have wondered what the other seasons of this tea taste like. I have wondered if they are super different or almost the same.
Terri was kind enough to send me a sample of last year’s spring harvest in our swap so today I finally tried it!
I was kinda thinking it would be the same while I waited for it to steep. But when I went to drink it, much to my surprise, it was pretty different from the Autumn harvest! The sweet honey flavor was there still. But instead of the other main flavor being sweet potatoes, it was bread. There was a few hints of sweet potato in there but not as much as the autumn harvest.
Love this one!! Seriously soo good! Makes me wonder if this Spring’s version of this tea is going to be like the sample I have. Wish I could know! If it was, I’d totally pick up some!
Thank you sooo much for a sample of this amazing tea, Terri!! :D :D :D

Flavors: Baked Bread, Honey, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Cwyn

Regretting not getting this last year. Long sold out.

donkeytiara

now I’m going to check my stash to see which it is I have….

Ost

Either one is really good! Least to me!

donkeytiara

I have 2014 spring….

Kirkoneill1988

i shall also try this tea someday

Two things I noted about this tea: 1) it’s wicked tasty, and 2) it’s remarkably consistent. I put 5 gm into a gaiwan and used boiling water. I started at 15s and added 15s each time for 7 steeps. It was nearly the same flavor every single time: mostly honey, with some tones of something lighter, not floral, maybe melon? Hard to tell. Anyway, good stuff and I’ll look forward to more steady steeps.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Melon

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 140 ML

I got my first EVER Yunnan Sourcing order in the mail yesterday! Woo! I’m swimming in golden black teas! I didn’t have time to sit down and enjoy a cup, but I wanted one so bad, so I made some and threw it in my timolino for our drive to lunch. This tea was very yummy. It’s similar to the yunnan Dian hong golden tips from TeaVivre, (which I also restocked on Black Friday!), but seemed sweeter. I think there’s a sugar sweetness, and maybe some fruitiness, in this I don’t get in golden tips. It has that wonderful sweet potato malt flavor, but is light and airy. Yum! I definitely want to gong fu brew this one next time!

Fjellrev