Imperial Gold Needle Yunnan Black Tea

Cucumber, Floral, Honey, Honeydew, Malt, Pastries
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

• “sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games...and i'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5241 tasting notes
  • “Oh Glorious Day Off!! Yes, there is no school today, no bratty kids to attempt to mentor, no 5am alarm, no real schedule until my private students start arriving at 4:00, so I slept in until I was...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3051 tasting notes
  • “I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I've made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it's still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “*Autumn 2013* This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant,...” Read full tasting note
    Scharp 115 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

A kind of chocolate and malt taste comes from the brewed gold-orange tea soup. Aroma is thick and sweet. An enjoyable experience comes from the aroma, flavor and appearance of this lovely tea.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and i’m still working as some things came to light from last night’s testing that i need to sort out. I love this tea and i can’t even explain why. there’s something about it that just makes me want to drink it. Plus the leaves always make me smile :)

Oh Glorious Day Off!!
Yes, there is no school today, no bratty kids to attempt to mentor, no 5am alarm, no real schedule until my private students start arriving at 4:00, so I slept in until I was well rested (8:30), & have been sipping many short steeping with this lovely lovely tea, truly one of my favorite Black teas from YS. I have quite a bit of desk work to do this morning, a few errands to run (maybe), & then NaNoWriMo! Hopefully I’ll get caught up to where I’d like to be!
Now for more tea :)

Cameron B.

Yay! I’m so glad you don’t have to deal with spoiled brats today. I could never be a teacher. :P

Terri HarpLady

I love teaching students when they want to learn, & I especially enjoy teaching one on one. It really is wonderful to get to know each student, with their strengths & weaknesses, their talent & potential, and guide them along their growing edge. Its very gratifying :)

Teaching classes of 10 kids in the city is frustrating, because there might be a few students in each group who actually want to learn, but then there are also at least 2 or 3 who live to disrupt, & have been allowed to get attention through disruptive behavior, so that is their mode of operation. Sometimes I can help them to see that there are other ways to be acknowledged, & when that happens I get to watch them begin to blossom, & I love that. I have one young lady on the cusp of this realization, going back & forth between old behaviors meant to elicit anger, yelling, etc on my part (which do transfer a lot of energy in her direction, but which I refuse to participate in, as I don’t want to validate those kinds of behaviors) & actually playing her harp, for which I give ample approval & validation. When she’s acting out & not on task & demanding attention, my comment is something along the lines of, “When you’re ready to calm down, practice, & be patient, I will be glad to work with you. Until then, I’ll work with somebody else.” She usually gets even louder & more outrageous, sometimes for the rest of the class period. But we are starting to have some good days :)
She is one of 5 kids in her class that act like that…
In another class I have 2 more just like her, only they aren’t coming around at all :(
And my 6th grade class is full of kids like that…sigh…

Cameron B.

My mother is an elementary school teacher, and the stories are always horrendous… It’s pretty clear that a lot of parents do not know how to discipline their children these days. I’m sure it’s heavily age dependent as well, and I would never be one to choose to be around young children…

I hope you continue to help them all move in the right direction. Changing the world, one child at a time! :P

Terri HarpLady

As the say, it takes a whole village to raise a child ;)

mrmopar

But the ones who really pay attention will learn no matter what. Even some the seem not to pay attention deep inside really are.

gmathis

Sixth grade is a rough age—they’re too young or too old to belong anywhere. Around spring break, my fifth graders start showing those tendencies…with the group I’m teaching this year (most Sundays are like driving a dogsled pulled by manic Dobermans), the ride promises to be wild. Gotta love their uh, enthusiasm!

Terri HarpLady

I wish some of them knew what an inside voice was…

gmathis

May not work with your bunch, as they are older; but sometimes with mine, I’ll just start whispering to someone who is listening—takes a minute, but when they figure out they are missing something, they’ll settle down to eavesdrop.

I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was expecting. This is a great cup. Thanks Terri Harplady!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve really enjoyed the teas I got from YS, & actually I’m drinking my first steep of this one right now!

Autumn 2013
This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant, and smelled wonderful- a scent matching the beautiful leaves.

The dried leaves were a rich golden color, and were very straight and pointed. The brewed leaves retained the wonderful qualities of the dried tea, and produced a very refreshing brew- a bit of maltiness, floral notes, and a sweet aftertaste with hints of chocolate in the finish. Each steeping changed only slightly, increasing in floral notes.

This tea is super delicious! Probably now one of my favorite black teas, though a little biased as I prefer gold tipped chinese blacks.

Imperial Gold Needle has a gorgeous dry leaf – long threads of gold with slivers of black. The steeped tea comes out bronze, then reddish amber, then gold. The flavor is great – no bitterness, hint of dry later steepings. There are flavor notes of malt, chocolate, stone fruit, honey, caramel, toasted nut with a thick creamy body.

Highly recommended!

Full review – and lots of pictures of this gorgeous black tea – on my blog The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/imperial-gold-needle-yunnan-black-tea/

Stephanie

Droooooool

My first tea from Yunnan Sourcing! Thanks go to Nicole for sending me samples of several of their teas. I chose this one to try first because the leaves are so beautiful, like soft golden pine needles. They’re fuzzy and completely gold in color. The smell is all honey, with just a little malt and sweet fruit. I did a 3 minute steep.

The aroma is full of honey as well, with that same malt and a sweet fruitiness that I would describe as golden raisin. But interestingly, the first thing I taste when sipping this is fresh, bright cucumber. Cucumber? In a black tea? But there it is. Alongside malt and a light honeyed fruitiness. I just kept sipping to make sure I wasn’t crazy, and then I asked my boyfriend who agreed that he tasted cucumber. Success! As I let it cool further, the cucumber transformed slightly into honeydew melon, similar but sweeter. The aftertaste is surprisingly floral with a touch of stonefruit.

This is definitely a different flavor profile than any other Yunnan teas I’ve tried so far, and I enjoyed it. Honeydew is one of my favorite flavors and even though it’s odd for a black tea, I thought it worked really well to lighten this tea and add freshness. Definitely recommended!

Flavors: Cucumber, Floral, Honey, Honeydew, Malt

Sarsonator

Wow, a chameleon tea! I love trying teas and finding unexpected or changing flavors. It’s like a treasure hunt!

yyz

That’s really interesting how a longer steep and more leaf can change the flavour profile. I can definitely see it happening because the later steeps were so floral and savoury.

TheTeaFairy

Very nice review :-)

boychik

Happy First Yunnan Sourcing Tea! Many more to come;)

Cameron B.

boychik, you have no idea! Nicole sent me so many, ha ha. And apparently a lot of them were from you originally, so thanks! ;)

boychik

I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do. And maybe you will get into Puerh because this is the tea it’s made of. You are training your palate ;-)

This tea reminds me a little of pain au chocolate, or at least a pâte sucrée dusted with hot chocolate powder. It has really has good notes of chocolate and honeyed butter pastry for at least the first two steeps, which it manages to present despite being rather dry on the tongue.

The tea is comprised of flat, folded downy copper gold buds.

I got 4 good steeps out of this, but I think this may be a tea I might prefer western style brewing for as the last two steeps had increasing floral and artichoke notes instead of butter croissant.

The first 2 steeps, at 1 & 2 minutes, had fragrance notes of honey, cocoa, butter, cinnamon, ovaltine, and developing citrus notes, with faint malt.

The flavour contained these notes, as well as oatmeal, chocolate orchid, plum, and cream. As it cools the pastry and malt tones become more apparent.

The last two steeps (3 & 4 min) had increasing floral notes, as well as artichoke mixed with dark honey all mixed in with the fading previously discovered notes.

All together the pastry notes were really delicious in this tea and I would like to try it western style. Thanks boychik for this lovely sample!

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Pain au chocolat tea! I’ve been looking at Yunnan Sourcing a lot and I’ll definitely add this to my must-have list! :D

This is a sample from CharlotteZero – thank you
Gongfu session
2TBSP 150ml 205F
rinse/5/10/15/20/25/30/30/45/45 etc
this tea is so gorgeous to look at. Gold needles, long, not a speck of black. The brew is deep golden color as well. Malt, hay, sweet potato, grains. not spicy at all. later steeps introduced citrus notes, which were quite welcoming. I made numerous steeps, combined some together. My daughter was sipping this tea with me as well. She liked it a lot.
I decided not to rate YS offerings because all of them i tried were very good. its hard to put a number on such beautiful tea. on my shopping list goes.
Thank you so much Charlotte for giving me a chance to try this tea.

Terri HarpLady

This really is a nice one!

So good. This tea. It’s just so good.

Thank you Sil!

Dag Wedin

Oh Imperial Dian Hong! Truly fit for royalty :)

This is the one that I loved, loved, loved from yunnan….I think there’s another too

Cavocorax

I was really happy with it. Drank 2 huge cups. :D I probably should have added more details to my review, but at least my spreadsheets says YES under buy. :D

Dag Wedin

^^ The new harvest should be availible any time now :)