Imperial Gold Needle Yunnan Black Tea

Honey, Malt, Mushrooms, Umami, Floral, Nutmeg, Spices, Spicy, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey Dew, Rose, Sweet Potatoes, Flowers, Sweet, Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Alcohol, Dates, Plums, Broth, Meat, Smooth, Thick, Melon, Cucumber, Honeydew, Pastries
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrei Hajdukewycz

• “sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 7581 tasting notes
  • “Oh Glorious Day Off!! Yes, there is no school today, no bratty kids to attempt to mentor, no 5am alarm, no real schedule until my private students start arriving at 4:00, so I slept in until I was...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3233 tasting notes
  • “I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • Autumn 2013 This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was...” Read full tasting note
    Scharp 115 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

A kind of chocolate and malt taste comes from the brewed gold-orange tea soup. Aroma is thick and sweet. An enjoyable experience comes from the aroma, flavor and appearance of this lovely tea.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and i’m still working as some things came to light from last night’s testing that i need to sort out. I love this tea and i can’t even explain why. there’s something about it that just makes me want to drink it. Plus the leaves always make me smile :)

Oh Glorious Day Off!!
Yes, there is no school today, no bratty kids to attempt to mentor, no 5am alarm, no real schedule until my private students start arriving at 4:00, so I slept in until I was well rested (8:30), & have been sipping many short steeping with this lovely lovely tea, truly one of my favorite Black teas from YS. I have quite a bit of desk work to do this morning, a few errands to run (maybe), & then NaNoWriMo! Hopefully I’ll get caught up to where I’d like to be!
Now for more tea :)

Cameron B.

Yay! I’m so glad you don’t have to deal with spoiled brats today. I could never be a teacher. :P

Terri HarpLady

I love teaching students when they want to learn, & I especially enjoy teaching one on one. It really is wonderful to get to know each student, with their strengths & weaknesses, their talent & potential, and guide them along their growing edge. Its very gratifying :)

Teaching classes of 10 kids in the city is frustrating, because there might be a few students in each group who actually want to learn, but then there are also at least 2 or 3 who live to disrupt, & have been allowed to get attention through disruptive behavior, so that is their mode of operation. Sometimes I can help them to see that there are other ways to be acknowledged, & when that happens I get to watch them begin to blossom, & I love that. I have one young lady on the cusp of this realization, going back & forth between old behaviors meant to elicit anger, yelling, etc on my part (which do transfer a lot of energy in her direction, but which I refuse to participate in, as I don’t want to validate those kinds of behaviors) & actually playing her harp, for which I give ample approval & validation. When she’s acting out & not on task & demanding attention, my comment is something along the lines of, “When you’re ready to calm down, practice, & be patient, I will be glad to work with you. Until then, I’ll work with somebody else.” She usually gets even louder & more outrageous, sometimes for the rest of the class period. But we are starting to have some good days :)
She is one of 5 kids in her class that act like that…
In another class I have 2 more just like her, only they aren’t coming around at all :(
And my 6th grade class is full of kids like that…sigh…

Cameron B.

My mother is an elementary school teacher, and the stories are always horrendous… It’s pretty clear that a lot of parents do not know how to discipline their children these days. I’m sure it’s heavily age dependent as well, and I would never be one to choose to be around young children…

I hope you continue to help them all move in the right direction. Changing the world, one child at a time! :P

Terri HarpLady

As the say, it takes a whole village to raise a child ;)

mrmopar

But the ones who really pay attention will learn no matter what. Even some the seem not to pay attention deep inside really are.

gmathis

Sixth grade is a rough age—they’re too young or too old to belong anywhere. Around spring break, my fifth graders start showing those tendencies…with the group I’m teaching this year (most Sundays are like driving a dogsled pulled by manic Dobermans), the ride promises to be wild. Gotta love their uh, enthusiasm!

Terri HarpLady

I wish some of them knew what an inside voice was…

gmathis

May not work with your bunch, as they are older; but sometimes with mine, I’ll just start whispering to someone who is listening—takes a minute, but when they figure out they are missing something, they’ll settle down to eavesdrop.

I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was expecting. This is a great cup. Thanks Terri Harplady!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve really enjoyed the teas I got from YS, & actually I’m drinking my first steep of this one right now!

Autumn 2013
This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant, and smelled wonderful- a scent matching the beautiful leaves.

The dried leaves were a rich golden color, and were very straight and pointed. The brewed leaves retained the wonderful qualities of the dried tea, and produced a very refreshing brew- a bit of maltiness, floral notes, and a sweet aftertaste with hints of chocolate in the finish. Each steeping changed only slightly, increasing in floral notes.

Autumn 2015 harvest
Tastes of sweet potato, honey and malt, spice and floral. A hearty and satisfying cup when brewed strong, which also brings out some tannins in the cup.

195 °F / 90 °C 7 g

this was for the Spring 2015
was impressed with its initial parfume. Floral, patchouli, cocoa, baked potato

first steep was approximately 80C. sweet milk chocolate, minerality, malt, dates. liquid velvet
increasing temperature gave a bit more body, though still quite light, and wine-like flavours and the dustiest of tannins. tingling minerality. this is elegant; everything in its right place. a long honeyed finish. The burgundy of black teas

Spring 2016

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Mushrooms, Umami

195 °F / 90 °C

Spring 2014 tea

The brewed tea has an incredible aroma of fresh flowers (lilac or geranium). There is also a note of creaminess in the scent. Very thick mouthfeel with strong floral notes (translated well from the aroma of the tea). Warm spice note- almost spicy but I could liken it to sweet nutmeg. I am utterly blown away by the complex flavours in this one- hard to believe it is not flavoured!

Thank you to Sil for the sample!

Flavors: Floral, Nutmeg, Spices, Spicy

:) yay!

this one is a tasty cuppa…like most imperial gold type teas, i do love it brewed THICK with added milk and sugar, call me a philistine, but if you’re looking for a cup of cozy, that is it.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Casey

I also love to, how do you say, over-steep this one. :P I’ll have to try it with milk next time! :)

GCTTB5
I used up the last of this sample.

I love yunnan blacks and this one is delicious. This is the first Yunnan Sourcing tea I have tried, so I am happy to try this sample. I will have to order from them sometime after I sipdown all my Butiki.

The golden needles are beautiful. This tea is smooth and complex. I taste notes of honey, malt, cocoa, and slight sweet potatoe. The mouthfeel is thick and delicious.

I resteeped at 4 minutes and it was just as delicious.