Imperial Gold Needle Yunnan Black Tea

Cucumber, Floral, Honey, Honeydew, Malt, Pastries
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

• “sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games...and i'm...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “In spite of my lack of posting over the last few days, I've drank my usual amount of teas: Golden Fleece Persian Princess Golden Monkey Black ...just to name a few... So, now I'm having this, & I...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2952 tasting notes
  • “I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I've made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it's still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “*Autumn 2013* This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant,...” Read full tasting note
    Scharp 115 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

A kind of chocolate and malt taste comes from the brewed gold-orange tea soup. Aroma is thick and sweet. An enjoyable experience comes from the aroma, flavor and appearance of this lovely tea.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and i’m still working as some things came to light from last night’s testing that i need to sort out. I love this tea and i can’t even explain why. there’s something about it that just makes me want to drink it. Plus the leaves always make me smile :)

In spite of my lack of posting over the last few days, I’ve drank my usual amount of teas:
Golden Fleece
Persian Princess
Golden Monkey Black
…just to name a few…
So, now I’m having this, & I really need it!
5G + 4oz blue lotus porcelain beautiful tiny teapot X (rinse) 15sec/30/45/ etc
I warmed the leaf in the preheated pot, & it smells like some kind of heaven.
…sigh…just letting go & breathing for a few minutes, that’s all I need.
The Breatharians are a sect of people who claim to live on oxygen & water alone. They tend to become very thin & frail, meditate a lot, & there are stories about the famous leader of that belief, who appeared much more robust than the others, & was seen secretly eating a hamburger somewhere, LOL.
I have no desire to give up food, of course, & I have no doubt that my body needs it. But sometimes it’s nice to just sit & breath. To sit & breath in the aroma of something wonderful, like this the lime flowers in my sunroom (the meyer lemon & kumquats are also getting ready to start blooming…oh heaven!). And of course, like this tea. The aroma is cream of wheat cereal, with a big blob of butter melted on it, drizzled with a really good honey. Once I rinsed the leaves, the honey aroma became even more real & prominent.
I could get by just on the aroma of this…I could almost just breath it, but no, I drank the rinse water, I wouldn’t want to waste a precious drop. I’m drinking multiple cups, & with each cup, like magic, I’m becoming happier. This tea has excellent qi, & in spite of it’s lighter golden appearance, brews up into a rich & dark cup of tongue tingling sweetness. I’m sure I could go on & on, but I think I’m gonna do a little Taichi, to further enhance my mood, & then work on my taxes, for a little while anyway. Namaste.

Terri HarpLady

In retrospect, I think 10 sec steep intervals would have been better, but this was delicious anyway!

keychange

Mmm burgers. Clearly I could not belong (for very long) to this group!

Terri HarpLady

It’s hard to believe I was a vegan for most of my adult life, and I’m glad I’m not now, cuz I love hamburgers!

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I can just imagine the Guru being caught by his followers eating a juicy Big Mac!

I could never do it more often than this, but I actually fast about once a week, a whole day just water…and oxygen of course :-)

I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was expecting. This is a great cup. Thanks Terri Harplady!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve really enjoyed the teas I got from YS, & actually I’m drinking my first steep of this one right now!

Autumn 2013
This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant, and smelled wonderful- a scent matching the beautiful leaves.

The dried leaves were a rich golden color, and were very straight and pointed. The brewed leaves retained the wonderful qualities of the dried tea, and produced a very refreshing brew- a bit of maltiness, floral notes, and a sweet aftertaste with hints of chocolate in the finish. Each steeping changed only slightly, increasing in floral notes.

My first tea from Yunnan Sourcing! Thanks go to Nicole for sending me samples of several of their teas. I chose this one to try first because the leaves are so beautiful, like soft golden pine needles. They’re fuzzy and completely gold in color. The smell is all honey, with just a little malt and sweet fruit. I did a 3 minute steep.

The aroma is full of honey as well, with that same malt and a sweet fruitiness that I would describe as golden raisin. But interestingly, the first thing I taste when sipping this is fresh, bright cucumber. Cucumber? In a black tea? But there it is. Alongside malt and a light honeyed fruitiness. I just kept sipping to make sure I wasn’t crazy, and then I asked my boyfriend who agreed that he tasted cucumber. Success! As I let it cool further, the cucumber transformed slightly into honeydew melon, similar but sweeter. The aftertaste is surprisingly floral with a touch of stonefruit.

This is definitely a different flavor profile than any other Yunnan teas I’ve tried so far, and I enjoyed it. Honeydew is one of my favorite flavors and even though it’s odd for a black tea, I thought it worked really well to lighten this tea and add freshness. Definitely recommended!

Flavors: Cucumber, Floral, Honey, Honeydew, Malt

Sarsonator

Wow, a chameleon tea! I love trying teas and finding unexpected or changing flavors. It’s like a treasure hunt!

yyz

That’s really interesting how a longer steep and more leaf can change the flavour profile. I can definitely see it happening because the later steeps were so floral and savoury.

TheTeaFairy

Very nice review :-)

boychik

Happy First Yunnan Sourcing Tea! Many more to come;)

Cameron B.

boychik, you have no idea! Nicole sent me so many, ha ha. And apparently a lot of them were from you originally, so thanks! ;)

boychik

I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do. And maybe you will get into Puerh because this is the tea it’s made of. You are training your palate ;-)

This tea reminds me a little of pain au chocolate, or at least a pâte sucrée dusted with hot chocolate powder. It has really has good notes of chocolate and honeyed butter pastry for at least the first two steeps, which it manages to present despite being rather dry on the tongue.

The tea is comprised of flat, folded downy copper gold buds.

I got 4 good steeps out of this, but I think this may be a tea I might prefer western style brewing for as the last two steeps had increasing floral and artichoke notes instead of butter croissant.

The first 2 steeps, at 1 & 2 minutes, had fragrance notes of honey, cocoa, butter, cinnamon, ovaltine, and developing citrus notes, with faint malt.

The flavour contained these notes, as well as oatmeal, chocolate orchid, plum, and cream. As it cools the pastry and malt tones become more apparent.

The last two steeps (3 & 4 min) had increasing floral notes, as well as artichoke mixed with dark honey all mixed in with the fading previously discovered notes.

All together the pastry notes were really delicious in this tea and I would like to try it western style. Thanks boychik for this lovely sample!

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Pain au chocolat tea! I’ve been looking at Yunnan Sourcing a lot and I’ll definitely add this to my must-have list! :D

This is a sample from CharlotteZero – thank you
Gongfu session
2TBSP 150ml 205F
rinse/5/10/15/20/25/30/30/45/45 etc
this tea is so gorgeous to look at. Gold needles, long, not a speck of black. The brew is deep golden color as well. Malt, hay, sweet potato, grains. not spicy at all. later steeps introduced citrus notes, which were quite welcoming. I made numerous steeps, combined some together. My daughter was sipping this tea with me as well. She liked it a lot.
I decided not to rate YS offerings because all of them i tried were very good. its hard to put a number on such beautiful tea. on my shopping list goes.
Thank you so much Charlotte for giving me a chance to try this tea.

Terri HarpLady

This really is a nice one!

So good. This tea. It’s just so good.

Thank you Sil!

Dag Wedin

Oh Imperial Dian Hong! Truly fit for royalty :)

This is the one that I loved, loved, loved from yunnan….I think there’s another too

Cavocorax

I was really happy with it. Drank 2 huge cups. :D I probably should have added more details to my review, but at least my spreadsheets says YES under buy. :D

Dag Wedin

^^ The new harvest should be availible any time now :)