2010 Yunnan Sourcing "Big Snow Mountain" Raw Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

3 Images

• “This is a lovely sample from my TeaFF, *MzPriss*! Thanks, honeybelle! Method: 8 g, 6 oz, 200 degrees, rinse-10-15, sheng yixing, Goldie Aroma: sweet and fruity Flavor: Well the first two...” Read full tasting note
    Sarsonator 230 tasting notes
  • “I am fond of the teas from Big Snow Mountain (Da Xue Shan in Lincang) and have picked up a few different cakes over the past six months. My interest actually developed through the Mengku side of...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 274 tasting notes
  • “Another sample from Scott at Yunnan Sourcing. The soup is a light gold in color with a nice floral smell. The taste has everything I like about a young Sheng: kuwei, astringency and an...” Read full tasting note
    swapilot 104 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

2010 Yunnan Sourcing “Big Snow Mountain” Raw 250g
Big Snow Mountain (大雪山) is one of two Big Snow mountains in Lincang prefecture. One is in Mengku county and the other is in Yong De county. Our material is entirely First Flush of Spring 2010 material from Yong De’s Big Snow Mountain. The environment from which this tea comes from is a natural un-managed tea garden filled with trees and tea bushes between 60 and 150 years old at an altitude of about 1800 meters on the south-western slope the mountain.

The tea itself is full of intense cha qi and is somewhat bitter and astringent. The mouth-feel is strong and fills and stimulates the mouth long after it has been drunk. There is a slight flower aroma that will become more obvious with aging. This is a tea to be aged for sure, with the needed strong and intense character to become a well-rounded and textured tea with each step of aging.

Stone-Pressed in the Month of May 2010.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This is a lovely sample from my TeaFF, MzPriss! Thanks, honeybelle!

Method: 8 g, 6 oz, 200 degrees, rinse-10-15, sheng yixing, Goldie

Aroma: sweet and fruity

Flavor: Well the first two steeps are kicking my ass a bit. This is an interesting mix of very pleasant flavors with a sharp bitterness. It has a nice astringent finish. Some sips taste quite mild, and some are like a kick in the shin.

Steeps 3 and 4 are calmer. I have a little sheng glow going and the apricot notes are coming through nicely. I’m starting to feel a little tea woozy. Yay!

This one is definitely a keeper and I think it will age nicely and the initial bitterness will soften up.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

I am fond of the teas from Big Snow Mountain (Da Xue Shan in Lincang) and have picked up a few different cakes over the past six months. My interest actually developed through the Mengku side of the mountain but this particular cake is made using Yong De leaf – dark almost black leaf with just a few brown buds mixed in. Very light and clear tea soup with an enticing aroma – a light flowery aroma. The mouth-feel is strong and fills and stimulates the mouth long after it has been drunk. The taste is very welcoming – smooth, a little green tea like, only the lightest touch of bitterness, just on the edge of sweetness, a nice lingering aftertaste. Bottom line: the tea offers a very nice fragrance with a smooth sip and solid Qi. This one is a keeper for sure and I’ve just ordered a cake since YS has a 15% off sale today.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
DigniTea

MzPriss – if you ordered this one today, I think you’ll really enjoy it.

MzPriss

I did. I got a sample, but now I’m thinking with that sale I need a cake. Do they have a Betty Ford Center for tea people?

Did somebody say “sale”?

mrmopar

I did the same. I ordered a sample a while back and ordered a cake yesterday.

DigniTea

Terri, you’ve found the sale, right. 15% off all items YS USA site only. Ends tonight I think.

I am ordering it AS WE SPEAK

uh, TYPE!

Terri HarpLady

I’m really trying to be good, you guys!
I’ve got a few hours to think about it…lol

And it’s coming!

MzPriss

You will almost certainly be better than me. I got a yixing.

LOL, I already have 3…

MzPriss

Sadly, so did I. I have a problem.

Another sample from Scott at Yunnan Sourcing. The soup is a light gold in color with a nice floral smell. The taste has everything I like about a young Sheng: kuwei, astringency and an earthy/grassy taste with a hint of smoke. Unlike the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing “Impression” Raw Pu-erh tea cake that I sampled, this Sheng is very bold and I really like that. After two steepings I really wished that the astringency would back off a bit and the kuwei would step up a bit more. By steeping four I got what I asked for and the smoke flavor had also become more pronounced. If steepings one thru three had tasted like steepings four plus, this tea would have rated higher. An excellent Sheng that is at the top of my order list!!!!!!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML