Masala Chai

Black Chai Blend
Aniseed, Black Pepper, Black Tea, Cardamom, Cinnamon Chips, Cloves, Ginger Pieces
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “No ratings yet? This has a cut-tear-curl black tea base, so it isn't one of those chais with only spices in the blend. I steeped for 7-8 minutes just after boiling the water, but there isn't as...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1090 tasting notes
  • “Even oversteeped, this is a delicious chai. I was a bit concerned with my oversteeping, and yes, there was a (slightly) bitter quality to the tea as I drank it. I still downed it however as it's...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 937 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

Chai hails from India and masala chai literally means “spiced tea” in Hindi. A robust and full-flavored black tea blended with traditional Indian Masala spices with full notes of cardamom, ginger, and clove that are zesty and stimulating. Masala Chai should be brewed strong in a pot with 2% milk(or soy milk) and sugar(honey).

Price: $11 / 100g

About Zen Tea View company

No ratings yet? This has a cut-tear-curl black tea base, so it isn’t one of those chais with only spices in the blend. I steeped for 7-8 minutes just after boiling the water, but there isn’t as much flavor as I expected. Not as much flavor as Zen’s rooibos chai OR their Energizing Chai which I absolutely love since magically there is also pu-erh and yerba mate in that blend (also, chocolate!) but it is SO SPICY. I have no idea how it is that spicy if the spices have to share the spotlight with other ingredients. But even though this was steeped for 8 minutes, the black tea base doesn’t get astringent at all. I would much rather buy the Energizing Chai blend. Anyway, this isn’t terrible but I didn’t really make it the REAL way. It’s one of those chais that will get lost among the similar chais I have. I haven’t found the perfect chai yet, but I would say Zen’s Energizing Chai is close to it… but that one may be cheating/isn’t a genuine chai since it has pu-erh and yerba mate in it. Yes, I spent this review talking about the Energizing Chai more.

Even oversteeped, this is a delicious chai. I was a bit concerned with my oversteeping, and yes, there was a (slightly) bitter quality to the tea as I drank it. I still downed it however as it’s what I consider to be a very traditional chai: heavy spice, low heat, sweet and delicious.

Thanks to Zen Tea for this free sample!

1.5 tsp in 12 oz.