Almond Marzipan - Rooibos

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Zen Tea

• “I ended up getting 50g of this. It's good. I really like it. Yes, it's rooibos and no, you can't pretend it's not. The almond flavouring is definitely flavouring, but in the good way. Like if I...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1164 tasting notes
  • “Thanks again to *Zen Tea* for the generous sample! I have always adored the scent of almond extract. My mom always puts it in the batter when she makes french toast, and I recall just putting my...” Read full tasting note
    rebeccalynn 57 tasting notes
  • “Oh! This is good! I didn't expect that actually. I know I like a lot of Zen Tea's teas, but Almond Marzipan just sounded ho-hum and I've had this in my stash for a month or so without ever...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1393 tasting notes
  • “I really needed a comforting tea since this weather is really getting me down. It's either snowing or raining.. now the ground will take forever to dry up. Then it will be raining again. Last...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1086 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

Marzipan in a cup! Sweet almond with cherry-like notes. Excellent nutty finish is complemented by almond pieces and mallow flowers. The cup is exceptionally fresh with tongue pleasing herbal notes balanced by the slightly bitter profile of almond.

Price: $9 / 100g

About Zen Tea View company

I ended up getting 50g of this. It’s good. I really like it.

Yes, it’s rooibos and no, you can’t pretend it’s not.

The almond flavouring is definitely flavouring, but in the good way. Like if I steeped this up with cacao it might resemble chocolate covered marzipan bars. The cheap ones you can get around Christmas.

Yum.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
OMGsrsly

Oh hey. And I have a chocolate marzipan Ritter Sport on my desk. Awesome.

Fjellrev

Thanks for the warning. I haven’t opened mine yet and was wondering how strong the base is.

And mixing sounds like an excellent idea! AND good choice on the Ritter Sport. :)

OMGsrsly

It’s not “OMG ROOIBOS EVERYWHERE”, but it is definitely a rooibos-based tea. :) I would probably always have it with something milky added.

Fjellrev

Yep, I can already see myself busting out the half and half. :)

yyz

Yum, to the Ritter sport, though my favourite is probably the coconut one I haven’t seen where I live. That and the chili- kirsch bar ( not Ritter sport) were my favourites when we were docked in Germany.

OMGsrsly

We used to get HUGE boxes sent to us at Christmas full of German chocolates and candies. :) I was so thrilled when the Ritter Sport started being sold here. I do like the coconut one as well, but I wish it had less dairy. Chili-kirsch sounds pretty awesome, too. :)

yyz

Nice!

Thanks again to Zen Tea for the generous sample! I have always adored the scent of almond extract. My mom always puts it in the batter when she makes french toast, and I recall just putting my face over the bowl and deeply inhaling as a child. Intoxicating scent. This tea smells exactly like that. I had an eyes roll back in my head moment. I definitely get cherry notes, sort of like a cherry vanilla scent. There’s a weird flower in my cup, which at first I thought was a stray tea leaf, but apparently is a mallow flower ( I have no idea what those are). Anyway, the tea? SO. GOOD. Ermahgerd. It tastes like a little almond cake, and actually somehow has the same feeling in my mouth as marzipan. It’s amazing! I drank this cup so fast. I seriously feel like I just ate a piece of marzipan. Swoon. Best almond tea I’ve ever had.

Nik

What a great endorsement! Immediately added to my shopping list. =)

Rebecca Lynn

Yay! I’m so excited to try the others they sent me :)

Oh! This is good!

I didn’t expect that actually. I know I like a lot of Zen Tea’s teas, but Almond Marzipan just sounded ho-hum and I’ve had this in my stash for a month or so without ever giving it a thought. I only made it today because I figured I’d better try it before it starts to get stale or something.

But oh! This is great! It’s nutty and sorta sweet and yes it reminds me of marzipan without being too strong that I don’t like it. (I like marzipan when it’s in things, but on it’s own it’s too much).

So thanks ozli! I now have more sleepytime options that aren’t just chamomile and lemon stuff.

Tea Sipper

Yay, I just ordered two sample packages of this one… but please don’t tell me tea goes stale after a month!

Cavocorax

I’m sure it doesn’t but I just have it in a ziplock bag so I don’t want to risk it.

Terri HarpLady

That sounds tasty!

I really needed a comforting tea since this weather is really getting me down. It’s either snowing or raining.. now the ground will take forever to dry up. Then it will be raining again. Last year, the nice weather was so EARLY and it seems endless. ah.

Basically my entire Zen samples order was because I wanted a marzipan tea. And this sounded perfect. And it IS. The fragrance is super delish and the taste is exactly the same. It is almondy with a bit of cherry. Exactly like marzipan. Somehow rooibos is already very sweet and a bit like cherry and almonds. So it makes for a nice base! This hits the marzipan nail on the head, and perfect for my marzipan cravings. This is definitely second steepable since it is delicious in an entirely different way — the flavor morphs into something even sweeter. It kind of reminded me of marshmallows a bit but that might be the suggestion of the mallow blossoms… Sadly, I think this is one of the teas that Zen is getting rid of. I knew I should have ordered more than a sample. You have until April 20th to order some on sale!

Terri HarpLady

This sounds wonderful!

This one is from Cavo…unfortunatley, I’m getting mostly rooibos, with only a int of cherry, and nothing really almond marzipan like. Maybe it is that I’ve had a bunch of teas today, many of them tart and citrusy, so maybe my buds are off. Reserving rating for anther time since I can’t say whether it is me or the tea.

Good stuff tonight. I rarely want this tea but it’s perfect when I do. Made an apple-pear crisp tonight which was too sweet… damn you, pear!!

JennyFur was kind enough to include this as a surprise sample in our last swap.

I haven’t been a fan of rooibos blends so far. I have yet to try plain rooibos, but Im pretty sure I recognize the base after all the blends I’ve had.

It smells more of rooibos than marzipan, but the marzipan really shows up strong in the flavor. It’s one of the more authentic flavored blends I’ve had, no doubt.

Brewed 1tbsp loose in my two cup pot, tea strainer over cup.

This tea really is reminiscent of marzipan in a cup! It’s sweet and nutty in just the right combination. A very nice dessert tea option, though admittedly I found myself craving something sweet-tart to go along with this nutty sweetness. This isn’t a lacking so much as a possible good pairing.

Finishing off the dregs of the first steep, which has cooled down while in the pot, it’s a bit stronger and just as nice a flavour.

This is a tea I’m definitely glad to have in my collection, and look forward to drinking again.

Thank you Dexter3657 for sharing a sample of this. It is 100% marzipan. Smooth and nutty with an almost cherry-like essence. Quite delicious. I am not sure if I would stock this just because I don’t know how often I would reach for this flavor due to personal tastes but I would not turn away a cup if offered.

This one didn’t really live up to its name and description for me. I couldn’t really taste the “sweet almond with cherry-like notes”. It wasn’t horrible, but I expected a deeper and richer almond flavor. (I probably won’t buy this one again, but if it were given to me, I would drink it.)