drank Guria Likhauri by Dobra Cajovna

This is one of those teas where I ask myself: “Where do I start?”

A fine Georgian black tea complex enough to be satisfying but never pretentious. It feels like an accessible yet refined ‘peoples’ tea. Fruity, floral, woody, malty. Delicate, lightly stewed fruits and grape verging on muscatel with a touch of butter, leather, salt. Rosewater and cherrywood base. The malt never dominates. Balanced astringency. Some spiciness in feel but not in taste. Nice fruity, tangy aftertaste. The body is damn near perfect for a stands-on-its-own black tea.

Granted I only had enough of this from a swap with Martin to have 3 days of western prep, it seems like a versatile tea. It has that comforting sweater weather feeling that made the past few mornings’ cloudy cold snap more bearable, but it’s also light and bright enough to feel refreshing on this sunnier and warmer spring morning. It sits so right with me. Thanks, Martin :)

Flavors: Apricot, Butter, Cherry, Cherry Wood, Dark Wood, Floral, Fruity, Grapes, Leather, Malt, Muscatel, Peach, Rose, Rosehips, Salt, Spicy, Stewed Fruits, Tangy

Martin Bednář

You are welcome! I know I have to buy some more again. It is one of the finest black teas I had! As you said, good on its own.

ashmanra

That sounds wonderful! I have seen a Georgian tea for sale in Chapel Hill but never tried it. May need to have a look again.

Martin Bednář

ashmanra: I can get some, if you want to. Or O have something still in cupboard, but I don’t know how much. Feel free to write me an E-mail.

ashmanra

Thank you for the offer, Martin! I may take you up on that!

Comments

Martin Bednář

ashmanra

Thank you for the offer, Martin! I may take you up on that!

Most enjoyment:

Wuyi and Taiwanese oolong, sheng puerh, Yunnan and Wuyi blacks, GABA oolong. I also appreciate Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Darjeeling and Nepali teas, bagged tea and herbal teas/tisanes.

I take my teas without milks or sweeteners except sometimes chai and the rare London Fog, matcha latte and golden milk.

I’ll try anything once because it helps me learn. Not opposed to well placed herbs, flowers, fruity bits and flavorings, just nothing cloying. And no added sugars, sweeteners, candy or chocolate.

I abandoned both my preference reference and the recording of detailed steeping parameters in January 2020, favoring a focus on qualitative descriptions. At this point, I am still comfortable toggling the “Not/Recommended” button.

Preference reference: