Woke up early enough to enjoy a few cups of tea outside as the sun rose. Seagulls socially distanced moving north, the black silhouettes of the twin redwoods towering into the brightening sky.

The dry leaf of North Winds smells rich, dark and dry with dark chocolate and wood and a medicinal, fruity-floral undertone of apricot-cherry-osmanthus. I’m greeted with a cocoa aroma with the same undertone of the dry leaf. The first thing I notice when sipping is the structure. It is full-bodied with balanced tannins and very mild dry bitterness. It condenses and closes in on the tongue. Following that is the taste, which embodies malt-wood-chocolate and a fruity midtone of apricot-cherry-plum. This tea is an excellent blend of Fujian and Yunnan black teas, a nice one to brace my senses for the coming day.

Flavors: Apple, Apricot, Cherry, Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Heavy, Malt, Medicinal, Osmanthus, Pine, Plum, Raisins, Spicy, Tannin, Wood

Courtney

That sounds like the most relaxing morning. The sound of seagulls always brings me home ❤.

Martin Bednář

This sounds so cozy and perfect! I wish I can enjoy tea outside.

gmathis

Yum! I’ve always wondered what your landscape looked like.

White Antlers

Sounds like a good way to start a day. This is one of my very favorite teas from Brenden. I drank it for the first time duing my first autumn back home in 2015.

derk

gmathis, I cried last night and wore the shawl this morning while drinkng North Winds <3 There’s a giant, stately palm tree, too, that feeds the ravens and houses a pair of mourning doves. Only in the Bay Area will you find palm trees and redwoods sharing the same soil.

gmathis

Crying was not supposed to be part of the package <3 Back at ya.

tea-sipper

palm trees next to redwoods!!! Dreamy!

Comments

Courtney

Martin Bednář

This sounds so cozy and perfect! I wish I can enjoy tea outside.

gmathis

Yum! I’ve always wondered what your landscape looked like.

White Antlers

derk

gmathis

Crying was not supposed to be part of the package <3 Back at ya.

tea-sipper

palm trees next to redwoods!!! Dreamy!

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

Sonoma County, California, USA