This tea is very clean, smooth, full-bodied, finishing only a touch astringent. Cocoa, malt and touches of caramel and autumn leaf push this toward being a rich brew but a brilliant tangy, fruity quality lightens it considerably. The two types of flavor balance each other almost perfectly. The fruitiness is complex and difficult to parse: red grapes, muscatel, red wine, pomegranate, raspberry, peach-orchard fruit. Those notes carry through into the aftertaste with additions of rose, incense and those green Indian chillies (mirch?).

Thank you Leafhopper for sharing :) It is aptly named, isn’t it?

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Berries, Butter, Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Earth, Flowers, Fruity, Hay, Malt, Muscatel, Peach, Pepper, Raspberry, Red Wine, Rose, Smooth, Stonefruit, Straw, Tangy

195 °F / 90 °C 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
Natethesnake

It was second flush tea from the Jungpana estate that got me into Darjeeling teas in the late 90s prior to trying it I was Assam only and thought all Darjeeling teas were weak, flowery teas for little old ladies. This tea changed my perspective on Darjeeling the way WanGong teas changed my perspective on Yiwu

derk

I’m a total noob with all flushes of Darjeeling. The few teabags I’d tried prior to buying loose leaf were very forward with muscatel and astringency.

Natethesnake

I was a Darjeeling fanatic for a long time and I still love the flavor but no real Cha qi or huigan. Most of the flavors I loved in a good Darjeeling I also get from a young Yiwu. Some estates I can recommend are Makaibari, Singbulli, Liza Hill, Seeyok, Castleton, Goomtee and Tukdah to name a few. There used to be a couple eBay vendors, Aromas of Darjeeling and Tastes of Darjeeling that sold legit teas from India at 1/3 the price of domestic vendors. Regarding the flushes, the first are usually more floral and caffeinated while the second tend to be more robust and fruity. Every autumn Darjeeling I’ve had was boring.

Comments

Natethesnake

derk

Natethesnake

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

Sonoma County, California, USA