Coconut French Toast with Cardamom Maple Syrup

Black Teas, Cardamom Pods, Coconut Flakes, Natural Flavours
Caramel, Cardamon, Coconut, Spices, Sweet, Tannin, Almond, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Creamy, Maple, Maple Syrup, Nutty, Pastries, Tea, Walnut, Honey, Milk, Nuts, Toasty, Vanilla, Baked Bread
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Sipdown! This is actually yesterday’s Hannukah countdown sipdown. The leaf is a year old and it shows. I remember the blend actually tasting like french toast with a heavy dose of maple and a...” Read full tasting note
  • “After the fiasco with the similarly-titled David’s Tea, I was glad to find that I found this delightful. Super tasty and pleasant. A little bit of moderation goes a long way. Turns out you don’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “You couldn’t possibly dislike this blend (unless you didn’t like coconut). It has all the makings of the perfect dessert tea. The black base is so smooth and rich. I find it malty, creamy, hints of...” Read full tasting note
  • “So much cardamom, yum! I don’t get as much bready, bakey flavors in this as I usually do with 52teas pastry and breakfast based teas. But this is still cardamom coconuty goodness and I like it,...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

This tea was inspired by a very memorable breakfast. Coconut crusted French toast that was topped with melted butter and a cardamom syrup. I went a step further and added maple flavoring because it sounded like a good idea. It tastes even better than it sounds!

About 52teas View company

Sipdown! This is actually yesterday’s Hannukah countdown sipdown. The leaf is a year old and it shows. I remember the blend actually tasting like french toast with a heavy dose of maple and a hint of cardamom. A year later, though, it tastes like hot cocoa with maple flavor. YUMMY hot maple cocoa, but definitely not the taste that was originally intended. Alas, another object lesson in the importance of not hoarding (unless it’s pu-erh, but I don’t drink that).

After the fiasco with the similarly-titled David’s Tea, I was glad to find that I found this delightful. Super tasty and pleasant. A little bit of moderation goes a long way. Turns out you don’t have to drown the tea in sugar and cinnamon to get the idea of french toast across. Well done, 52Teas.

The black base is so smooth and rich. I find it malty, creamy, hints of nuts and butter. It resteeps very well also.

The coconut is super creamy and nutty, no soapy gross flavours at all. I think it might be toasted, because the nutty flavour in this blend must be coming from the coconut or black tea.

Strong sweet maple flavour, not artificial at all, but the perfect strength. As a Canadian, I can certify this maple flavour is delicious and realistic. It also goes very well with all the tasty spices (cinnamon?, very light on the cardamom, I actually would have liked more cardamom, but I think my teaspoon of looseleaf had no cardamom pod in it). The nutty flavour tastes like toasted almonds and toasted walnuts. Maybe I’m imagining the nuts because I associate maple flavoured things with maple walnut icecream, but either way, this blend has it all.

Flavors: Almond, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Coconut, Cream, Creamy, Honey, Milk, Nuts, Nutty, Pastries, Spices, Sweet, Tannin, Toasty, Vanilla, Walnut

So much cardamom, yum! I don’t get as much bready, bakey flavors in this as I usually do with 52teas pastry and breakfast based teas. But this is still cardamom coconuty goodness and I like it, especially in the morning

The other reblend I sampled today!

Both in aroma and flavour, this tea strongly reminded me of DavidsTea’s Cardamom French Toast. Not that that would be surprising, of course. The primary difference is that this tea is not pre-sweetened – although that’s not to say there isn’t a bit of sweetness to it (presumably the maple syrup). It really was quite tasty – the cardamom is a strong flavour, but isn’t overpowering, the base is solid, and I noticed some custardy elements as well (it clearly wasn’t just a black tea with cardamom). I’m not sure I noticed the coconut in particular, although it was definitely visible in the dry leaf.

Anyhow, I think this is a pretty good alternative to the DT version (although sadly, neither is readily available), and although I didn’t mind the pre-sweetening they did, it’s nice to have the option of leaving it out.

Boiling

mmmm….also who are you? haha

Kittenna

Haha, I know, I’ve been awfully absent… the backlog of notes and teas I’ve drank is pretty insane.

Wow, this is seriously impressive. Maple, coconut, and cardamom are the main scents. I am glad I put a bit of honey in this because it makes it even more breakfasty.

I only discovered this last year how much I love cardamom as a flavor and scent. I need it in more things. I usually loathe coconut in tea, but this flavor is meant to be buttery, so it works.

Ah, coconut french toast with cardamom maple syrup…the breakfast food that I didn’t know I needed until now. With some of the more complex flavoured teas that I’ve tried I’ve noticed that often some of the components are only nominally there, but in this case I truly can taste each of the flavours named in the title. I can taste the breaded flavour of the toast, the sweetness of the maple syrup, nutty coconut and just the right amount of cardamom. The flavour components are well-proportioned as well in the way you would expect to taste them if you were eating the actual food. This is another winner from the new-and-improved 52Teas….now to see if I can’t recreate the actually food item for breakfast…. ;)

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

My second tea from the newly managed 52teas! The dry leaf aroma is maple, coconut, and cardamom. The brewed tea aroma is maple and spices. I wasn’t so sure about all those huge cardamom pods (or the coconut for that matter) but you know what? This really does taste like French toast! Much more so than Frank’s 52teas blend from a few months back. (Strike that. Apparently it’s from a few years back. Man, time flies!)

I think the thing that’s really incredible with this one is that Anne has captured egg in the tea. French toast is many things: bread, butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg spices, and EGG! This actually tastes like French toast coated in egg! Color me impressed!

The maple is very strong and there’s a little bit of everything else you’d want: butter, bread, sweetness, and overall tastiness. The coconut adds a nice sweet component that blends well with the maple flavor. I’m actually surprised and delighted that those two go together so well. And with every sip there’s that lovely bready egg flavor that just screams French toast. This is a home run!

I added some Truvia and skim milk. It doesn’t need it but that’s the way I often enjoy black teas. This is delightful! I am really enjoying this! The base is a bit strong but that’s probably because I overleafed it. Even though it’s strong and assertive, it’s not bitter. Yum! I love this so much, I wonder if I can justify purchasing another few ounces to my husband…I don’t want to run out! I really can’t though, ugh. I’ve already spent more on tea than my budget allows.

The second infusion for four minutes is still flavorful and delicious. That’s a nice bonus! I used to get only one good infusion out of 52teas’ blends. So far (and no offense meant to Frank whatsoever as I have loved the company under his stewardship as well), this change in management seems to be a change for the better! Grab this tea while you can!

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
LiberTEAS

Thank you, I’m so glad to see that you’re liking this one. I was really happy with it too.

TeaBrat

sounds yummy

The first package in my 52 Teas Kickstarter pledge arrived late last week and I have been desperately anxious to tear into them and start trying but since I was traveling over the weekend I was hesitant to open them up away from my Breville tea maker as I have strong memories of how temperamental the black base was when Frank owned the company.

It was a difficult decision this morning trying to decide what I wanted to try first but since it was breakfast time I went with the coconut french toast.. First, I gotta say, that I adore the cute little taster sized packets!! Half an ounce is the perfect size to try a tea without having to commit to something you may not like.. spoiler alert, this one is definately going on my repurchase list ASAP in the larger size!!

The scent of this tea is spot on! I get the coconut, the cardamom, the maple syrup and a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg… Taste wise, this is delicious!! Especially with a splash of milk to really bring out the creamy butteriness of french toast. A complete winner in my book and I’m now SUPER excited to try out the other four teas I have… I think next I’ll have to try Lemon Cheesecake Bar.. after all it is almost afternoon tea time!!

52Teas

Yay! I’m so happy you enjoyed this – this was one of my favorites from this month. I was really happy with how it turned out – I was a little worried that maybe it was a bit too much going on but it came out just the way I wanted.

Thank you for the lovely review!

Somebody needs to make me this french toast now! Seriously I never would have thought to add cardamom to maple syrup but now I’m seriously craving it. The coconut is just the right amount. It doesn’t take over. I’d say the maple/cardamom hits the tongue first followed by the breadyness and coconut.

The black tea base is nice and smooth. Not as astringent as some of Franks were.

I’m terrible at trying to analyze this. Suffice it to say I am fully on board with 52teas 2.0

I’m so glad I helped with the kick starter. I wish I could afford to buy more of this tea but I quietly shush myself and remind myself to enjoy my tea one cup at a time.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coconut, Maple Syrup

Jillian

Oh man, I can’t wait until I get mine.