Coconut French Toast with Cardamom Maple Syrup

Black Teas, Cardamom Pods, Coconut Flakes, Natural Flavours
Maple, Cinnamon, Coconut, Pancake Syrup, Toast, Cardamon, Maple Syrup, Pastries, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Spices, Sweet, Tannin, Almond, Cocoa, Cream, Creamy, Nutty, Tea, Walnut, Honey, Milk, Nuts, Toasty, Vanilla, Baked Bread
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

From 52teas

This tea was inspired by a very memorable breakfast. Coconut crusted French toast that was topped with melted butter and a cardamom syrup. I went a step further and added maple flavoring because it sounded like a good idea. It tastes even better than it sounds!

About 52teas View company

This one just seemed like a great idea when I saw that it was available. I love coconut, cardamom, and the taste of French toast. I’m middle-of-the-road about maple.

So this time I dumped the entire tester envelope into my Breville. When it was finally ready, it smelled divine. Funny, I love coconut but I didn’t get much coconut flavor in this one. I got the French toast for sure, and some cardamom. It was tasty, but it just seemed weak for me again. Even the black tea wasn’t very strong. Maybe I’m just not used to such subtleTEAS? (Womp womp womp…)

I’m going to continue playing with the proportions of tea leaf to water, because all the 52 Teas testers I ordered smell divine and I want them to taste that way, too.

Flavors: Maple

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 30 g 34 OZ / 1000 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Are you using one teaspoon per cup?

Evol Ving Ness

How many ounces does your Breville hold?

Rachel Sincere

Hi! I’ve been playing with tea/water ratios. The thing is, the amount of tea in the envelope and the amount of water the Breville holds are both in the metric system. I’m not used to measuring tea and water that way. So I’ve settled on 30 g of loose leaf tea to anywhere between 750 and 1000 mls of water. I don’t know if that helps you any. I know that when I look up 30 g, it says 6 tsp, but what I’m pouring into the brew basket doesn’t look like 6 tsp to me. It looks like about four tsp.

Evol Ving Ness

Hmm, a 52Teas sample size is approximately 15 grams.

A teaspoon of dry leaf is approximately 2 to 3 grams depending on the type of tea and additions.

If I am not mistaken, Anne has a Breville and will likely be of more help to advise you on leaf to water ratios etc.

Rachel Sincere

Hi again. I’m glad you posted. I misspoke before. I’m using the 15 g testers. I’m sorry for the confusion! I’m using 15 g loose leaf to between 750 and 1000 mls. thanks for clarifying!

THIS SMELLS SO GOOD. It has that amazing bready quality like real french toast and a little syrup. The taste is weaker than the smell though. The coconut is in there but not overwhelming, and that hit of cardamom…(which – in the pods? out of the pods? what’s the consensus?). I only have a little tester bag and I think I used too much this time :( but it’s so delicious I can’t be that mad at it. I need more….soon….
I’m not usually one for black teas unless they’re smack-your-mama sort of chais, but wowzers. Unfortunately I’m drinking this at work, otherwise I’d add a little soy milk. Mmmmm.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Coconut, Maple, Pancake Syrup, Toast

Delicious start to the day. I’ll be sad when this sample is gone.

This was a lovely thing to cart around with me today, with all aspects of it accounted for. Really, a beautifully balanced blend.

Thanks for the sample, Sil.

And it’s a sipdown!

I love every word in the title of this tea. This one was a no-brainer.

I’ve tried so many coconut teas over the years, but 52Teas’ are always the best. So creamy and real. A tiny bit of coconut oil always ends up floating on top of the brew. I’m not sure I’ve seen that anywhere else.

However, coconut is not the dominant flavor of this tea. Even with the generous, thick coconut shavings mixed in. The sweet maple leads this tea, followed by cardamom. I was a little afraid that the cardamon would be too much, especially with the whole pods, but it isn’t. It simply compliments the syrupy goodness. I also think I taste cinnamon and a bit of creamy caramel. This is absolutely delicious. I’m really tempted to go back and buy the Large size before it gets away.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coconut, Maple Syrup, Pancake Syrup

Kittenna

Ooh, this one was good. I only got a taster but am pretty sure I still have some left.

Thank you VariaTEA (if i forget on these posts, just know that i appreciate all your fun samples – it’s great having you as a tea friend!)

I love cardamom….can’t get enough of it. One of my favourite smoothies is a blueberry cardamom smoothie. What i find that i’m less a fan of is maple flavouring. In 90% of the time i’d much rather just add a drop of maple syrup to my cup. This one tastes heavily like maple and coconut….cardamom is sort of at the back of the cup. it’s smooth, no bitterness here. I’m much more of a fan of Anne’s black base than frank’s so that always makes me happy. glad to try this, but don’t need this as a permanent tea.

VariaTEA

Haha you’re welcome and it’s great having you as a tea friend as well! Also it’s interesting that you got maple and coconut and less cardamom because I got cardamom and maple and less coconut. Interesting…

that’s funny.

Rant about life

So yesterday and today were a bit of a shitshow for me. I went in early to work yesterday to spread some holiday cheer (aka put presents on the desks of the coworkers I am actually friends with) only to get to my desk and realize I had to push everything aside because the lawyer who works on our team but is based in our U.S. office can’t do his job properly. He had to write a lengthy letter on behalf of our client and it took him over a week only us, as our boss put it, a “big bag of nothing”. So it fell onto my lap since apparently I can do this shit better than an actual licensed attorney but I had only the day to do it because the client has been asking for it and today/tomorrow are holiday days for me. I got it done but that meant staying late to complete it.

I finally left my office around 1.5/2 hrs late which was fine except on the way home I managed to get in a car accident. The person I dealt with was very nice and thankfully no one was hurt (save for my sore back). However when I got home I was tired and angry and sore so I went straight to my room and told my family I wasn’t hungry. My mom didn’t take that well and got pissed off, yelled, stormed around and closed herself off in her room. I went to bed at 9 pm.

Today I woke up and pretended like my mom didn’t throw a temper tantrum last night and that seemed to force her to get over it. We then took my car to get an estimate (about $5000 worth of damage because I drive a mini) and off to the collision reporting center we went. We got there around 3:30 and were told we had a 4-5 hour wait ahead of us. We sat down and they called #4, we were #73. So we waited and waited and waited and then some lady starts bragging to the guy behind us that she had #97 but went to the counter when they called a number which people weren’t responding to and they let her jump the line. She then said that she told them to take the guy behind us (#82) next. That didn’t sit well with my mother who went to the window the next time they called a number people weren’t responding to and complained. So at around 6:30, in an effort to keep my mom from causing an uproar, they took down our report and we left.

Unfortunately we still had to return my car to the auto body shop to be repaired so we did that and then went to buy alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. Then dinner. And now, finally…tea. And not just any tea…the first tea of 52 Teas’ 12 Days of Christmas Teas!

Actual review of the tea

I was excited to see this was included since it is not one I grabbed for myself. As much as I enjoy these breakfast inspired teas, I find I need to be in the right kind of mood for them so I don’t drink them often. That, combined with the fact that the DAVIDsTEA version of this is much more accessible for me as a Canadian, meant I wasn’t as tempted to grab this when it was released even though it did pique my interest.

Sipping on it now, it is definitely a nice tea. Less eggy than the DAVIDsTEA version but more maple-y, which I think is better. There is also a definite bread note which works with the maple to sell “French toast”. Cardamom is also contributing a great deal of flavour here which sits nicely against the sweeter maple. One thing I do find I’m missing in the taste is the coconut which is weird since there is a lot of coconut in the dry leaf. I eat something that is buttery which could be from the coconut but I just wish the actual taste of coconut was more distinct. That’s just me though. All in all, I’m really glad I got the chance to try this one and am glad I have some to play around with.

Arby

Well that just sounds like a whole lot of chaos and headache. I hope the next few days are much easier for you.

VariaTEA

Well despite the sore back my mom keeps telling me that cleaning needs to be done. So much for my “vacation”

52Teas

I’m sorry to hear about your accident – I hope your back gets to feeling better.

__Morgana__

So sorry that one of my profession caused your day to go sideways. I hope the accident wasn’t caused by a lawyer, too!

I have a house and Ruby…..no cleaning to be done here! Haha

VariaTEA

Thanks everyone. I am sure my back is fine, probably just a result of tensing before the accident. Unfortunately I was the one who rear-ended someone else since my brakes decided not to work :(

Morgana, I don’t blame lawyers in general since I am hoping that I will become one in the future. I blame the dumb lawyer in the U.S. who can’t even get client’s names right. I have been cleaning up his messes since he started at the firm. However, he makes me confident that I will actually get through law school. If he did it, then I surely can :P

Sil, I will be over soon. I’ll just sleep in Ruby’s crate with her. You won’t even know I’m there. Except for your kettle boiling and the extra tea that arrives with me.

Evol Ving Ness

Gah! Sorry to hear about the non-stop nonsense. Hope that is all done with and the rest is easy-peasy. oh, and bring epsom salts to Sil’s so that you can hang out in the bathtub with all the teas.

Lexie Aleah

Sounds like you could use a nice care package and some good luck! So sorry to hear about all of the chaos that you’ve been dealing with lately. No one deserves that, especially not around the holidays.

Maddy Barone

oh my gosh!What a lousy day. Hugs

Nattie

I’m so sorry about your crappy day! Hope the rest of the holidays are much better for you.

The 12 Teas of Christmas is back, and we’re off to a great start! I’m so happy the first tea is a flavored black tea blend. I’m even happier that the maple isn’t a predominant flavor to my taste buds because I’m just not big on maple-flavored beverages. That said, I really enjoyed this tea. Cardamom isn’t normally a flavor I’m drawn to in teas, but it really compliments the coconut in this particular blend. Again, the gals at 52Teas have really nailed the base of this tea; it’s smooth and mild but it has a nice bit of depth/weight. It’s really quite a tasty tea – sugar and spice and everything nice.

I’m so jazzed that caffeine doesn’t keep me awake! After a very hectic and stressful day, this cuppa was the comforting beverage I needed to help me decompress. The 12 Teas of Christmas could not have started on a better day or in a better way.

It’s the first day of our 12 Teas of Christmas countdown – and this is our first TEA of our 12 Teas of Christmas box.

Rich black tea base, smooth maple and coconut sweetness together with the contrast of the cardamom. So yummy! A really perfect tea to start off the countdown!

Arby

I love this blend! Unfortunately my box hasn’t arrived yet, but I’m sure I can catch up when it does.

52Teas

I’m so sorry yours hasn’t arrived. I was just checking in on what Canadian orders have been received and which have not – of all the Canadian shipments we had, it appears that only 2 have not arrived yet – but it’s still unacceptable – next year, I’m going to have to start blending about a month earlier so that I can be sure to get all those orders out even sooner. I’m very sorry!!!

Arby

It’s ok, it also could be customs being anal about checking packages and adding several weeks to the shipping time.

Nattie

Oh man, I wish I’d ordered it this year ):

This was the 1st Day of Christmas Teas from 52Teas and it is an absolute winner!

First of all, I love cardamom and I adore maple. The leaf is pretty. Black tea with whole cardamom pods and broad strips of coconut that stand out against the darkness of the tea. I am pretty frustrated that I am still sick and can’t smell this one. I bet it is divine. Naturally I can’t taste a lot. I can tell that the tea is mildly sweet, and mildly spicy. Even without a sense of smell this one has a lovely, mellow flavor, with no astringency or bitterness to take away my pleasure.

The 12 Days of Christmas actually BEGIN on December 25. I have my DAVID’s 24 Days of Tea to take me thru Christmas Eve, so really, I should start my 12 Teas of Christmas on Christmas Day. But honestly, I don’t think I can wait that long…

It is hard, but I am going to put this one aside to enjoy more after I get my kenalog shot. That should allow me to smell for a month or so, and then I’ll be drinking tea and inhaling beautiful scents. I can’t wait!

52Teas

We actually start our countdown on the 14th – so that it’s like a countdown to Christmas, but I know that isn’t how the actual 12 days of Christmas works. So, I guess today is as good a day as any, right? :)

Maddy Barone

The 14th is a great day to start. I love that instead of just enough for one or two cups of tea you give us enough to make a couple of pots. Or more!

52Teas

I wanted to be sure to have enough to share. I like to brew a pot so that I can share with Mat who is actually drinking tea now. He didn’t used to drink it when I was a reviewer of tea – but now that I’m blending it – he apparently loves it. :)

Evol Ving Ness

haha! It’s good to not have traitors in the house. :)

52Teas

I agree! I think that once we started making it a “family” business, he decided that he better like it. Now it would seem he genuinely does. He actually requests it. His favorites are the gourmet root beer and Fruit Salad (which is one that I actually created for his birthday.)