Banana Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha

banana, Green, Toasted Rice, Marshmallow, Sweet, Toasty
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas
Iced

• “I love banana flavored things, so it was super hard (and I failed) to resist this tea! I haven’t been a fan of 52’s genmaichas hot and this one was no exception. For some reason the flavors just...” Read full tasting note
  • “When I opened the pouch, the leaf smelled just like banana gelato. Steeped, this one is a winner in my books. Banana and genmaicha is a bit of an odd match, but executed beautifully and I’ll...” Read full tasting note
  • “I have never had genmaicha before. Not very adventurous here, which is why a sampler like the 12 Days of Christmas is good for me. It gives me a chance to try something I normally wouldn’t in a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Genmaicha is not for me. To my taste buds, the combination of green tea and toasted rice is inherently savory. As such, any attempt to add sweet ingredients is going to be a stretch. But, as I said...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

I’ve never had a banana Marshmallow Treat – I don’t even know if such a thing exists. A quick google search yielded no results that appeared like banana marshmallow treat squares but I’ll admit that I really didn’t look very earnestly for it, mostly because I would think that the banana would be too slick and slippery and wouldn’t stick to the marshmallow which binds the crispy rice cereal together. I would think that banana would really mess up the chemistry that goes into the crafting of a marshmallow treat.

Then again, since I’ve never actually had one (and thus, I’ve never tried making one) I don’t know for certain. Perhaps it could be made with freeze-dried bananas (like the ones that I put in this tea blend) without much trouble.

Anyway, that lengthy introduction is my way of saying that this tea wasn’t inspired by something I’ve actually tried but something I’d love to try should I ever be so fortunate to find such a confection. What inspired me is my appreciation for fresh, sliced bananas atop my crispy rice cereal. One day while eating a bowl of cereal, I thought, wouldn’t a banana flavored crispy rice treat be awesome? At some point very soon after that, my thoughts turned to tea (as they often do) and I decided that I MUST create a Banana Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha.

And so I did!

I started with my organic matcha infused genmaicha and added marshmallow root and freeze dried bananas. It’s a cuppa yum!

organic ingredients: green teas, toasted rice, freeze-dried bananas, marshmallow root and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

I love banana flavored things, so it was super hard (and I failed) to resist this tea! I haven’t been a fan of 52’s genmaichas hot and this one was no exception. For some reason the flavors just don’t come out for me, which is a shame. Cold steeped has always been a different story and they come to life in a completely different way. Unfortunately, I put some of this in the fridge a few days ago and never got around to enjoying the cup until now. You know how over ripe bananas taste? I’m kinda getting hints of that, which I’m attributing to my days long steep and dehydrated banana having aged once rehydrated. It makes it more like a banana bread, not the bright fresh flavor that the bag smells like. I added a little creamer which amps up the toasty rice flavor nicely and am enjoying this cup.

I’m also now brainstorming how to make banana marshmallow treats after reading the tea description. Pulverizing dehydrated banana from Trader Joe’s could work, which I add to pancake batter often. So could dry banana pudding mix. So could banana extract. OR…. all three together for an over the top team banana? Maybe some powdered peanut butter added in? I need to go shopping for this experiment to come to life.

Iced

When I opened the pouch, the leaf smelled just like banana gelato. Steeped, this one is a winner in my books. Banana and genmaicha is a bit of an odd match, but executed beautifully and I’ll get over it.

Flavors: banana, Green, Toasted Rice

Indigobloom

Sounds scrumptious! Brings me back to the old days of banana medicine (a good thing, the silver lining of being sick!)

Evol Ving Ness

Banana medicine—-haven’t heard of this…

Indigobloom

Oh it was good!! Amoxicillin in liquid form. A bit chalky and definitely fake tasting but 8 yr old me didn’t care – it tasted like candy :P

Evol Ving Ness

Sounds vaguely familiar. I am glad they haven’t started flavouring adult drugs with this. shhhh.

Indigobloom

LOL I took Nyquil last night for the first time in years. Cherry bleh. Would much prefer banana haha

I have never had genmaicha before. Not very adventurous here, which is why a sampler like the 12 Days of Christmas is good for me. It gives me a chance to try something I normally wouldn’t in a small quantity.

My sense of smell is slowly growing, so I got a nice whiff of banana when I opened the pouch, along with a sweet scent which must be the marshmallow. My sense of smell died shortly thereafter so I can’t tell you what the brewed tea smells like. I prepared it exactly as instructed to. After two minutes I hesitated because the tea was so pale. But since I was new to genmaicha I followed the brewing instructions to the letter. Surprisingly, it darkened as it cooled.

The flavor is tricky for me since I lost the smell before I could drink it. I think I can kinda get the banana at the start of the sip. The sip ends for me with a slightly bitter after taste. I don’t know if that is just me or not. So I’m not rating this tea yet. I’m going to try another cup later this week and see if it works better for me then.

But, as I said before, I’ve resigned myself to at least trying to get through a cup of each day’s tea. The good news is that the tea tastes a lot better than it smells. The bad news is, despite the previous statement, it still isn’t something I enjoy. I got through about half a cuppa before I gave up the ghost.

I love the idea of a tea that tastes like banana-flavored marshmallow treats. I’ve had sweet black tea blends with toasted rice in them (ex. Bluebird Tea’s Easter Egg Nests) that I’ve really liked. I love a good banana tea. I love marshmallow notes in tea.

All the components are there. There’s decent, true banana flavor. There’s a light marshmallow note that compliments the banana very nicely. You just lose me at the genmaicha. Again, the grassiness of the green tea combined with the warm, earthy flavor of the toasted rice just leans a bit too strongly on the savory side of things for my taste. So, trying to mesh savory genmaicha with sweet marshmallow and banana just doesn’t work (for me).

52Teas

I certainly do admire your willingness to try each one though – that’s awesome!

apieceofquiche

Thanks! I’m actively trying to avoid saying I don’t like something until I’ve tried it. Y’know – don’t knock it until you’ve tried it…that sort of thing. It’s certainly a challenge! :)

Meh.

Made a hot cup of this, but if I’m being honest it’s probably the least impressed I’ve been with a 52Teas Genmaicha blend in a while. It doesn’t taste bad per say, but it just tastes like regular Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha – no hint of banana what so ever. I was really excited by the prospect of a banana flavoured genmaicha, so the absence of that flavour is a pretty big let down.

I’ve got a cup worth of this one left though, so maybe I can turn it around with the next cup worth. Maybe.

:( moar banana!

thanks for the revisit of this one through the 12 days of Christmas VariaTEA. Great afternoon ish tea for warming up after playing with the dog outside.

VariaTEA

Did Ruby also get tea to warm up with after playing outside? :P

She got her bed near the window haha

VariaTEA

Giz got some latte foam. She wasn’t outside or anything, I just gave it to her lol

puppy gets no ppl food heh. except for uh i think she’s up to having had peanut butter like 8 times?

And pizza that one time

sigh yes…stupid people feeding ruby!

Evol Ving Ness

I am waiting for the day that Ruby goes tobogganing.

It’s back!! Back in my life and I am pleased :) As I scratched off the 5th Day of Christmas label, I saw “Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha” and prayed for the missing word to either be “banana” or “maple”. The tea gods, or in this case, Anne, answered my prayers and for that I am thankful!

Still banana-y and delightful as ever. I didn’t even wait for it to cool. Just drank the hot banana-ish tasting liquid and smiled happily.

Dexter

Yay for great banana tea!!!!

Oh happy day!

Backlog. Pretty sure I got this tea from the sampler I won. As this is everything I never wanted in a tea. I was willing to give it a shot, hoping it was at least palatable.
Dry smell reminds me of banana laffy taffys and a sugar bomb. 180F, 2min, westren style.
Tastes of banana, toasted rice, odd taste. Marshmellow comes through in texture and aftertaste.
This tea does not work for me at all. Banana does not belong in tea or beer. I’m not going to rate it. It tastes as it’s named, I just don’t like it.

Flavors: banana, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice

Mondays are supposed to be the day that we release our new flavor of the week but I’m not in the office for most of the day on Monday because that’s my day to watch my grandson and since I’m somewhat together today (quite a feat for Sunday), I decided to go ahead and release the tea a day early rather than a day or two late, especially since this is one that I feel like people will be very excited about.

I’ve never actually had a banana marshmallow treat before but the idea sounds yummy, right? And if it tastes anything like what’s in my teacup right now – it would definitely be yummy because this is so good. The banana is sweet – candy-like? Maybe. I don’t think I’m the right judge of that. One comparison I’ve often seen with the banana flavoring in teas is that it tastes like banana runts. I am not a fan of banana runts but I am a fan of banana flavored teas – so I never really got that comparison.

This tea is deliciously banana with a nice marshmallow note. The genmaicha comes through and the matcha adds a little creaminess to enhance the marshmallow notes. The genmaicha has a nice toasty quality to it.

Flavors: banana, Marshmallow, Sweet, Toasty

VariaTEA

I need this in my life! Damn the exchange rate, though I may just ignore it for this tea :P