Chocolate Éclair

Black Tea, Calendula Petals, Organic Black Tea, Organic Cacao Nibs, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Vanilla Beans
Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Mineral, Tannin, Chocolate, Baked Bread, Cream, Custard, Vanilla
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “Thank you to VariaTEA for sending me a sample of this! I’m buying my own pouch in the FUNdraiser sale, but I’m happy to try it out now. Malty base (it tastes like Assam and Chinese Jin Jun Mei. I...” Read full tasting note
  • ““It’s a creamy, chocolately, slightly nutty flavor. There aren’t any nuts in this blend, so I’m probably mis-interpreting the cacao shells or something. I’m not sure if this tastes like eclairs...” Read full tasting note
  • “mmmmm this is really nice. Sample from VariaTEA and it’s a tasty one. the chocolate/vanilla combo makes it just the right sort of chocolatey taste. I’d say this is pretty damn close to the real...” Read full tasting note
  • “This has been sitting around in my stash. I was getting tired of having coffee every morning at work, so I chucked this in my handbag earlier this week. I’ve had a cup every day for the past four...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

A month or so ago, I went through a bit of a Chocolate Éclair obsession – which fortunately seemed to coincide with a sale that my favorite bakery was having with the delightful pastry. I’m not sure which came first, my obsession or the fact that they were on sale but as you can see, the obsession became part of this week’s tea of the week.

I started an organic Assam tea and blended that with a Fujian black tea. Then I added some organic roasted cacao nibs and shells for a rich, dark chocolate flavor and minced some organic vanilla bean and combined these ingredients with some organic natural flavors to create a creamy base with hints of pastry. I also tossed in some organic calendula petals for a little color.

The result is a lusciously creamy, sweet custard-y overtone with notes of dark chocolate and a subtle undertone of pastry with a distinct black tea flavor – with this tea you can enjoy ‘dessert’ for breakfast and not worry about all the fat and calories of the real thing.

YUM!

organic ingredients: black tea, roasted cacao nibs & shells, calendula petals, vanilla beans and natural flavors.

ingredients: black tea

About 52teas View company

Malty base (it tastes like Assam and Chinese Jin Jun Mei. I don’t actually know what the base is, but it tastes like a mix of smooth blacks). EDIT: Looked it up and the base is Assam and Fujian black-possible Jin Jun Mei. Damn, I’m good.

There is some raw cocoa/dark chocolate here, minerals, tannin. I think the creaminess could have come through a little bitter because I got vanilla but not really whipped cream like that you might expect in an eclair or cream puff. Even if the milk chocolate/cream intensity wasn’t there, it made an excellent morning cup. I recommend this tea to fellow chocolate fans.

Flavors: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Mineral, Tannin

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 45 sec 4 g 17 OZ / 500 ML
VariaTEA

I steeped it at 200 and never got any bitterness. Wonder if maybe that’s where the issue was?

Arby

When I get my new bag, I’ll try it hot or as a latte.

I’m not sure if this tastes like eclairs because I’ve never had one. It’s just one of those holes in my flavor knowledge. What’s an eclair? DUNNO.
… I imagine that people probably like eclairs and then try the tea. But I like this tea, and might now try an eclair.”

Full review, including the stuffed animal that I hold when I’m stressed, here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2016/12/16/chocolate-eclair-black-tea-from-52teas-a-chocolate-dessert-treat/

mmmmm this is really nice. Sample from VariaTEA and it’s a tasty one. the chocolate/vanilla combo makes it just the right sort of chocolatey taste. I’d say this is pretty damn close to the real thing, at least as close as you can get in terms of a liquid emulating that squishy bite in to yum.

speaking of yum….Americans…your girl scout cookies are evil…in a good way.

gmathis

Agreed. Especially the coconut caramel things.

Evol Ving Ness

Sil, your tastebuds and mine are clearly on the same pattern today. Currently drinking Chocolate Delight. But doesn’t seem to be quite as good and what is in your cup.

gmathis – hells yes….trying to get my grubby hands on a box of smores this year since they’re new. So many i haven’t tried yet lol
evol – too funny!

Fjellrev

Omg damn you 52teas. I’ve never tried Girl Scout cookies but perhaps it’s for the best.

This has been sitting around in my stash. I was getting tired of having coffee every morning at work, so I chucked this in my handbag earlier this week. I’ve had a cup every day for the past four days, and it’s really delightful. It’s one of the better chocolate teas I’ve had in recent memory. It tastes very rich and sinful even though it’s not. I like it best as a latte because dairy (or non-dairy milk for that matter) really brings out the creaminess that you’d get with an actual eclair. All in all, another solid flavored black tea blend from 52Teas. Recommended for those that enjoy dessert and/or chocolate teas.

Flavors: Chocolate

I like this!! It’s like peppermint marshmallow melting in hot chocolate but without the mint. Awesome velvety chocolate flavor…like a milk chocolate fondue but with a nice punch of vanilla bean to reflect the eclair custard. This is not really the best description and sorry for that but I will say this delivers on the chocolate eclair flavor it promises and that makes it awesome!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Cream, Custard, Vanilla

mmmmmmmmmmm

Fjellrev

Daaaamn, these 52teas blends lately…

Spot on eclaire. It’s a very particular taste so I didn’t expect this level of accuracy! Holy smokes. Now I’m sad to only have a sample. The custardy now, the whipped cream, light chocolate…. all there! Happy sighs. Today has been a good tea day. I need more of this one. A lot more

Indigobloom

And again it won’t let me post from my phone properly. Will have to adjust typos later :/

Evol Ving Ness

This one sounds divine. DIVINE.

Indigobloom

It so IS Evol, I adore it!!

Evol Ving Ness

Happy tea moments are happy. Enjoy!

Indigobloom

Hehe thanks. I plan to sit down and properly savour the next one :)

I’ve been making an effort to try all the teas that we’ve been blending lately as cold-brewed as well as hot brewed. I recently acquired a cold-brew system that makes it easy to cold brew and since it’s a fairly popular method of brewing these days, I thought it would be a good idea to try out my teas cold-brewed too.

And so last night I prepared this tea to cold-brew and am finally taking a moment to sit down and enjoy it. This is really good cold-brewed. Not gonna lie, I think it’s better hot, maybe it’s just me but I just happen to prefer my chocolate teas hot (especially when there’s Assam tea involved, I love that maltiness!)

The cold-brew has a lighter texture and color than the hot brewed tea and the flavor – I wouldn’t describe it as lighter as there is plenty of flavor here – but it’s not as rich as what I’ve experienced with this tea as a hot cuppa.

That said, I find that the vanilla seems to pop more with the cold-brew. With the hot tea, there is a underlying note of wonderful creaminess but with the cold-brew I can taste distinct notes of vanilla. The chocolate is not as rich and ‘dark’ tasting but there’s a really nice, smooth element to it with the cold-brew.

I do like this better hot but it’s quite tasty cold-brewed too.

This is SERIOUSLY YUMMY if I do say so myself. One of my customers has written a review of it on the 52Teas website saying it’s the “Best Chocolate Tea Ever” unfortunately she wrote it under the Large size Chocolate Eclair tea which is now sold out so you can’t see it on the website anymore but we did share it on our Facebook page so you can read it there: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=585958871592077&id=387005081487458 (PS: while you’re there, please like us!)

So I’m sipping on a cup of this tonight mostly because I felt the need for some caffeine. Why I felt the need for some caffeine at 12:51 am – I don’t know and why I decided to fulfill that need at this hour when I should instead be preparing to relax and get some sleep – yeah that’s a mystery too.

This is good. I started with a base of Fujian black tea which has a natural chocolate-y tone to it already and then added some malty Assam for fullness. Then I added cacao shells and nibs and vanilla beans.

My inspiration was obviously the Eclair. This isn’t quite as creamy as an Eclair would be (but if you go latte, it can be!) But it’s really nice and chocolate-y. I wanted a dark chocolate type of taste to it because my local bakery uses a really dark chocolate ganache to top their eclairs and I like the way the bitterness from the chocolate cuts through the sweet, creamy custard filling.

If you like chocolate, I think you’ll really like this.

i knew i forgot to do something, had meant to check on that one.