Earl Grey Cupcake

Black Teas, Natural Bergamot Oil, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Vanilla Beans, Sprinkles
Cream, Floral, Sweet, Vanilla, Bergamot, Citrus, Smooth, Creamy, Fruity, Lemon, Earl Grey, Powdered Sugar, Tannin, Malt
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by breeteas

• “2021 Sipdown 112/365! Not my top EG from 52teas, but certainly one I’d jump at the chance to get more of. A lightly flavoured cream EG with a nice, smooth and flavourful black base. No astringency...” Read full tasting note
  • “2021 Sipdown #7! I love Earl Greys and I’m a sucker for fun things like sprinkles so I’m sad to see this one go! I’ll have to find some new fun Earl Grey to replace this one” Read full tasting note
  • “This was one of the flavors from the advent calendar that I was the most excited for. I’m not sure it totally accomplished its goal though. It’s sort of like a very mild earl grey creme. But I’m...” Read full tasting note
  • “So, trying this again as my morning brew (I know it’s almost 3PM, this is just my life, ok) and I have to say, I think it was my prep that was off last time. This time I actually measured out the...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for February 26, 2018!

I’ve never kept it a secret that one of my all-time favorite teas is Earl Grey – I love bergamot! I haven’t made (nor do I plan to make) a simple Earl Grey because I feel like there are so many out there that my contribution to the heap of Earl Grey teas that exist would not be unique – and we like to keep things unique here!

Instead, I decided to do an Earl Grey CUPCAKE tea. I started with black teas: Yunnan & Assam – with just a touch of Vietnamese Black to help round out the flavor a bit. Then I added some bergamot along with vanilla bean and some additional essence to create a cupcake-y flavor in your teacup. And since we’re talking cupcakes, what cupcake would be complete without some festive sprinkles? These sprinkles are vegan, gluten-free & nut free – so no worries!

A fun way to enjoy your bergamot!

ingredients: vegan candy sprinkles (sugar, potato starch, coconut oil, maltodextrin, spirulina extract, carnauba wax)

organic ingredients: black teas, bergamot, vanilla bean & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

2021 Sipdown 112/365!

Not my top EG from 52teas, but certainly one I’d jump at the chance to get more of. A lightly flavoured cream EG with a nice, smooth and flavourful black base. No astringency here. A really lovely cup. I would prefer it to be a bit stronger, but it’s still good as is. One packet left!

Evol Ving Ness

One of my favourites too.

2021 Sipdown #7!

This was one of the flavors from the advent calendar that I was the most excited for. I’m not sure it totally accomplished its goal though. It’s sort of like a very mild earl grey creme. But I’m not sure I’d even know it’s early grey if I hadn’t been told. I definitely can taste the extra desserty flavor that’s in there, but it’s more like a macaron than a cupcake. And flavors are often milder in macarons anyway. So if I think of this as being an earl grey macaron, I’d say it does a pretty good job. I’m drinking it with milk, which definitely helps bring out those flavors.

So, trying this again as my morning brew (I know it’s almost 3PM, this is just my life, ok) and I have to say, I think it was my prep that was off last time. This time I actually measured out the water and leaf (12oz, 1.5 Tsp), but sort of eyeballed it (is that the right term) on the time. It was somewhere around 2 minutes though.

Taste is so much better! No licorice present at ALL! Instead, it tastes just like the package states: an Earl Grey Cupcake. I can taste the sweetness of the frosting, and the bergamot, and the tea, all wrapped up into one. This is amazing! I think I’m going to need to order a few more pouches of this. I could drink this all day!

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

One of the best earl grey I’ve ever had. Nice bold bergamot flavor, with a subtle cakey note. I’ll definitely be trying this with cream and sugar next go around.

So, my countdown is all messed up by now and at this point, since it’s Christmas day, it’s a bit unnecessary. So a big thank you to all those who kept up with the countdown! :) This is the Eleventh tea in the 12 Teas of Christmas box, and I just grabbed this one because I was looking for a caffeinated pick-me-up after the holiday dinner and dessert and this was the first one I grabbed.

Not that I’m complaining – I’m loving this. I love bergamot and since I do love it, I can usually handle a strong bergamot flavor but I also like this where the bergamot is subdued because of the vanilla notes and the cake-y flavors. Very tasty and a nice way to regroup after the holiday happenings.

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday and that you’re staying warm and cozy with a hot cuppa!

Sipdown (836)…

One of my friends from the hard goods department at work gifted me a travel mug that I’ve been eyeing up for a little while as a birthday present; it’s something that’s going to be in stores but isn’t available for sale quite yet.

I drank this in that beautiful new travel mug on my way home today, with a splash of milk. I found it pretty nice, though admittedly a little weird to be having an EG blend at like 5:30PM when that’s typically a morning tea for me. I could have probably brewed it a little longer, because the taste was a bit thin/muted and I’m sure the milk didn’t help with that. However, I got a smooth bergamot and a finish that was very creamy and vanilla so that completed the “Earl Grey Cupcake” vibe for me.

IIRC, this is a pretty popular blend from 52Teas and I kinda see why – I don’t dislike it at all, and it’s fun for sure. However, there are so many EG vanilla type of blends out there that I find it hard to say there’s something different about this one that you can’t find in another blend of this nature.

NEEDED to have this again. So good. Just feeling so poorly. I’m now on a medically reduced work schedule but still need to work 3 days a week, which feels like 1 too many but that’s what I got. This tea is getting me through the day. Like a hug in a cup.

52Teas

I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well but glad the tea came to your aid.

Evol Ving Ness

Sorry that you are feeling less than a 100%. And the thing about being forced to work more than what would be good or doable for you makes me want to flip a table.

Hurray for hugs in a cup!

Kittenna

Take care of yourself!

This is divine. And in the perfect world, I would have another huge bag or two of this left, rather than the few crumbs that I have remaining.

Another example of tea and its hard hard lessons in non attachment.

Nattie

Between you and VariaTEA I am so close to breaking my no-buy for this! Drools.

Nattie

Okay ignore that, I’m thinking based on phrasing that this is no longer available? Sniffle. It’s probably for the best.

Mastress Alita

52Teas only blends one tea a week in a small batch, and once that batch is gone, the tea isn’t available anymore, unless it happens to get a reblend by chance at some point down the line. It’s a bit different than your typical tea shop that has mass stock of a lot of flavors all the time. It’s fun to see what each new week brings, though!

Nattie

I’ve ordered from them a couple of times in the past, but not since Anne took over from Frank. I had a quick look on their website earlier and they either haven’t released any new teas since the end of November or they sell out quick these days! Fingers crossed for a reblend somewhere down the line (:

Nattie

Plus living in the UK with £18 standard shipping means I can’t place orders very often :/

52Teas

@Nattie – we’re severely behind on getting out our teas of the week. We just released November’s teas, December’s teas will be released in the next week or so. I was quite ill at the beginning of November and it set my calendar back more than a month with my hospital stay and my recovery time after being released. I’m feeling a lot better now, so I’m doing my level best to get caught up.

And regarding the shipping – nobody wishes more than I do that the cost of shipping internationally was cheaper! I have set the rates as low as I possibly can and for some countries, I still end up losing a little on shipping as I’ve set the international rates depending upon the country I’m shipping to.

Evol Ving Ness

I feel ya with shipping charges, Nattie. Perhaps you could place a super huge order and either split it with others in the UK or just make it last. Maybe there is a minimum order amount where shipping would be significantly reduced.

Nattie

Oh no, I hope you’re feeling a lot better soon! Sending my thoughts and best wishes. Don’t compromise your recovery trying to do too much too soon. The shipping thing is something I’m used to, it’s not 52teas specific. It’s just insanely expensive shipping anything from the states to the UK, annoyingly.

Mastress Alita

And vice versa. Bird & Blend kills me with shipping. They only put a free international shipping threshold in this month. I’ve placed $100 orders in the past before and was still charged $15 in shipping fees.

Nattie

Yikes! Oh yeah totally, international shipping is such a killer. I don’t know how it works in the US, but when my international packages arrive in the UK they’re held for ransom until I pay an extra 20% tax and £8 “handling fee” (which is total BS) so I’ve got to reeeeeaaaaally want something to buy internationally!

Evol Ving Ness

That happens in Canada too, Nattie. I have been dinged by our government on international tea purchases.

Nattie

Pffff, governments are the worst.

tea-sipper

Oh I can imagine all the things that will hit the US on January 1st… I already know shipping will be going up in the biggest increase in a while. sigh.

Nattie

I’m feeling similar feels about what will happen when the UK finally leaves the EU. No more international purchases of any kind for me! It’s gonna be a sad day.

Evol Ving Ness

What is happening January 1st, tea-sipper? (I have been off wifi for almost 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed the break from your monstrous news. Not you, personally, of course.)

And yes, Nattie. Scary days.

tea-sipper

Evol Ving Ness – I’m trying to ignore things like this, so I might be inventing it or expecting the worst, but I think taxes will go up on many things this year because of the fun one in charge, and I KNOW shipping goes up on January 27th… things like that.

Super fab version of an Earl Grey Cream with a soft vanilla orange slant. Well, my pouch of this will disappear quickly. It’s nice to have the creamy vanilla aspect after a few days of drinking a more heavily bergamot Earl.

It’s really difficult to not sound like a shill for 52teas. Anne’s creations rarely disappoint me.

Cameron B.

Yeah, how dare you like stuff! ;)