Earl Grey Cupcake

Black Teas, Natural Bergamot Oil, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Vanilla Beans, Sprinkles
Bergamot, Creamy, Fruity, Lemon, Vanilla, Earl Grey, Powdered sugar, Tannin
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “I snagged a sample of this when I saw that Anne had brought back the old LiberTEAS Breakfast In Bed blend. Couldn’t just let that go by! But this tea was calling my name, too. Couldn’t resist the...” Read full tasting note
  • “A nice bergamot black tea with a slight sweetness, some acidity, and a bit of vanilla/cake. I need to make it again as a latte or with a touch of sweetener to see if I can coax out the cupcake...” Read full tasting note
  • “Anne finally put this one in the system so now i can write about it. Everyone likely knows how much i am NOT a fan of the blerg. So 99.99999% of all earl grey type teas are on my list of “don’t go...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for February 26, 2018!

I’ve never kept it a secret that one of my all-time favorite teas is Earl Grey – I love bergamot! I haven’t made (nor do I plan to make) a simple Earl Grey because I feel like there are so many out there that my contribution to the heap of Earl Grey teas that exist would not be unique – and we like to keep things unique here!

Instead, I decided to do an Earl Grey CUPCAKE tea. I started with black teas: Yunnan & Assam – with just a touch of Vietnamese Black to help round out the flavor a bit. Then I added some bergamot along with vanilla bean and some additional essence to create a cupcake-y flavor in your teacup. And since we’re talking cupcakes, what cupcake would be complete without some festive sprinkles? These sprinkles are vegan, gluten-free & nut free – so no worries!

A fun way to enjoy your bergamot!

ingredients: vegan candy sprinkles (sugar, potato starch, coconut oil, maltodextrin, spirulina extract, carnauba wax)

organic ingredients: black teas, bergamot, vanilla bean & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

I snagged a sample of this when I saw that Anne had brought back the old LiberTEAS Breakfast In Bed blend. Couldn’t just let that go by! But this tea was calling my name, too. Couldn’t resist the combination of two of my favorite things — earl grey and cake. Somehow, after years of orders from 52Teas, this is my first earl grey of theirs ever.

I’m charmed by the cute blue and white star sprinkles mixed in. Same colors as the blue cornflowers that have come to signify an earl grey. However, at first, I wasn’t sold on the bergamot they used. It smelled kind of like sunscreen to me, so I was wary.

But the flavor was much different than expected! It reminds me so much of a creamcicle! The bergamot is so smooth and citrusy. It tastes like a vanilla cupcake with orange marmalade icing. Also, the black tea base they used is hearty and solid. I can actually taste it over the added flavors. I always appreciate that 52Teas doesn’t use lame, low grade Ceylons to make their flavored teas. They use nice black teas and let them lend their notes to the flavor.

Anyway, this is lovely and I’ll be having it again at breakfast.

Flavors: Bergamot, Creamy, Fruity, Lemon, Vanilla

A nice bergamot black tea with a slight sweetness, some acidity, and a bit of vanilla/cake. I need to make it again as a latte or with a touch of sweetener to see if I can coax out the cupcake flavour. It make an excellent cup and I will be picking this over other EG in the future. This is a great EG blend, and it recommend it to all who enjoy bergamot.

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey, Powdered sugar, Tannin, Vanilla

Mastress Alita

It’s funny, I used to hate bergamot, but was able to slowly adapt my palate to it, and now I find it quite nice. Just ordered some of this one this weekend; I loved the coconut EG they made not too long ago and have been hoarding it for fear of using it up. Maybe this will ease the loss so I’ll finally be ready to send off Foggy Coconut?

52Teas

I’m including Foggy Coconut on this year’s holiday box poll (again, it was on last year’s too) because I personally miss it and am hoping it will get a lot of votes so that I can reblend it! :)

Mastress Alita

Foggy Coconut is a tea candidate you can trust!

Anne finally put this one in the system so now i can write about it. Everyone likely knows how much i am NOT a fan of the blerg. So 99.99999% of all earl grey type teas are on my list of “don’t go anywhere near…use a 1000 foot pole to serve to others.” I can barely tolerate the smell a lot of the time when other folks in the office drink it.

BUT! I am also always up for trying it at least once because you never know. I’ve actually found a few earl grey type teas that i’ve been ok with in the past. This one i had hopes for because of the vanilla cupcake factor. Turns out, while i am a fan of early grey + vanilla cupcake, it’s not enough for me to actually enjoy drinking this one. The front end of the sips were fantastic, delicious and everything i might want….and then BLERGAMOT! showed up and ruined the party lol

Not rating this one because blergamot and i are not on good terms, but i think that if i did enjoy earl grey’s, this one would be a nice little cup of something slightly different.

Evol Ving Ness

Figures that this would land in your box. The planets align yet again.

it’s fun. i still like trying things

52Teas

Thank you for trying it! It would seem that you and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to bergamot – I am quite fond of it and Earl Grey are what I radiate to when I happen to purchase tea for myself (which really hasn’t happened often since I took over 52Teas). But I do know that there are a lot of people out there that don’t like it – so I get it – and that’s one reason why I’m not making a new Earl Grey-ish type of blend every month or so. I’m glad you enjoyed it before bergamot appeared. :)

the girls regularly send me the most blergiest teas they can find… it’s a bit of a fun time :) I’ll try anything at least once!