Peach Crostata Yunnan Tea

Dried Peaches, Safflower, Star Anise Bits, Yunnan Black Tea
Mineral, Pastries, Peach, Pepper, Seaweed, Spices, Wet Earth, Earth, Anise, Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Spicy
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

3 Images

• “This came as a sample with my order from AQ2T and I’m enjoying it greatly. I don’t pick up much of the spiciness that others mention, except in the aftertaste. The base tea is exceptional, but...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is much different than I expected. It definitely does not have an artificial taste to it which is nice. The peach is understated. It tastes mineraly. I don’t pick up much anise or pastry...” Read full tasting note
  • “084/365 A crostata is an Italian baked fruit tart. I know this, because I checked. The pastry is buttery, and peach is a traditional filling (along with apricot, cherry, and nectarine). So far, so...” Read full tasting note
  • “At 7 am, I was awoken by the noise of metal clanging against metal, closely followed by drilling and hammering, at what felt and sounded like inches away from my head. Oh, contractors ordered ...” Read full tasting note

From A Quarter to Tea

Per the Etsy shop description: “A take on a late medieval version of a peach crostata, with warming spices and a rich peach flavor.” And the label: Sweet peach, flaky pastry notes and spices make for a fantastic medieval dessert.

About A Quarter to Tea View company

This came as a sample with my order from AQ2T and I’m enjoying it greatly. I don’t pick up much of the spiciness that others mention, except in the aftertaste. The base tea is exceptional, but then, I’m a big fan of yunnan black teas. The peach is very peachy and not artificial at all. I oversteeped it (forgot about it) and it’s stood up very well to that with only a tiny hint of bitterness. If I’m ever in the mood for a nice peachy tea, I’ll definitely consider this one.

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This is much different than I expected. It definitely does not have an artificial taste to it which is nice. The peach is understated. It tastes mineraly. I don’t pick up much anise or pastry flavors. I was happy to have bought a sample size and also glad that I did not buy more. It’s just ok for me.

Flavors: Mineral, Pastries, Peach, Pepper, Seaweed, Spices, Wet Earth

195 °F / 90 °C 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

084/365

A crostata is an Italian baked fruit tart. I know this, because I checked. The pastry is buttery, and peach is a traditional filling (along with apricot, cherry, and nectarine). So far, so good. I’m wary of peach teas in general, because I’ve tried so many that have failed to live up to any kind of expectation. The fault in these cases, by and large, is with the peach flavouring. Usually, it’s artificial as hell.

Not so here! I can see why there are plenty of rave reviews for this one, because it’s so good. The peach is…peachy. On the sweet side, yes, but juicy and really just tremendously flavour-accurate. It’s even a little fleshy-tasting, like peach pulp rather than just juice. It has some substance to it. The pastry element is equally assured. There’s a buttery background note that’s spot-on freshly baked pie crust. It’s divine.

The base is yunnan, which makes this all the better in my book because I love yunnan. That’s no secret. It has a maltiness and a slight pepperiness that works really well with the peach and pastry flavours, and is metaphorically speaking the icing on the cake as far as this blend is concerned. Or, if you like, just another thing about it that’s perfect.

The sad thing is, I don’t have any more of this one. It came as a sample with my order, and now my cup is gone…

Perhaps not for long, though!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

At 7 am, I was awoken by the noise of metal clanging against metal, closely followed by drilling and hammering, at what felt and sounded like inches away from my head. Oh, contractors ordered by my neighbours to do whatever on the roof and eavestroughs and drainpipes and what all else.

A couple of hours later, I receive an email from one of the neighbours stating that the contractors will be at work today and tomorrow. No mention of what they are doing and where they will be working so that I can plan for that. The vagueness gives two options: stay and be woken and/or disturbed and have your day disrupted or stay gone.

And oh yeah, thanks for letting me know.

I am wondering how challenging it is to be considerate of other people, really? Truly I am at a loss to understand this lack of connection and understanding towards the people around you.

Am I asking for too much here? How difficult is it to shoot an email a day or two in advance saying, hey, it’s going to be noisy from when to when and where and where because blah blah blah is going to be happening. Just wanted to let you know so that your day won’t be disturbed.

Bah!

Thankfully, I reached for this this morning. I just happened upon it and boom, stellar!

I am having it with sriracha peas for breakfast.

Three steeps of deliciousness.

Flavors: Earth, Peach

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
teepland

Even though the day started off badly, at least you had a tea that good to make it better. Hopefully, that made you forget about the inconsiderate neighbors. :(

CrowKettle

Are these the same terrible neighbours that are inconsiderate at night or a whole new set?

Your situation would drive me wild, but I’m glad you at least have awesome tea!

Fjellrev

It’s always something, eh? When will it ever stop…

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, indeed. These are the same ones with the crying/shrieking infant, 24 hour beeping and ringing devices in the bedroom, the early morning exercise on wooden floors that sounds like jackhammers, and so on.

Things appear to be getting somewhat better after extended communication on my part. But forethought, consideration, and reaching out to communicate do not seem to be fortes.

Evol Ving Ness

And yes, the situation does and has been driving me wild.

mrmopar

sriracha says it all. Good stuff!

mmmmm sriracha. Love that stuff

Evol Ving Ness

Indigobloom, check out Sriracha Peas in a bag at your local Metro. One of my most inspired recent discoveries.

Indigobloom

I’ve tried those before! pretty good stuff :P
My fave is the sriracha chips by president’s choice. Total guilty pleasure!

Evol Ving Ness

Ooooh, as in potato chips? I don’t know that I’ve come across them. Mind you, I have been avoiding that aisle for a few months. :)

Guilty!!!

So following Kittenna’s rave review I decided to grab a sample of this tea. I was even more excited to try it out when I saw that even Sil was pleased with it. Alas, if I am being honest, I am a little disappointed. This is not bad but it is also very, very similar to Peach Habenero Salsa, another peach black tea by A Quarter to Tea, except Peach Habenero Salsa has more going on.

The habernero salsa one sounds tasty….I think moral of the story is, aq2t’s peach flavour = good.

VariaTEA

Lol let’s go with that :P

Noms. I understand the hype on this one. This is a really tasty peach tea. I’ve been off peach for a while but this didn’t set that “tired of peach” off in my brain. Instead i found myself at the bottom of the cup before i realised it. it’s smooth…i really like the base in this one and how it works with the peach. This is not your peach drink sort of tea..this is nice peach :)

Fjellrev

Oh nice, I haven’t been crazy over peach in tea so it’s great to hear it stands out from the crowd.

yeah this one is really nice. Not sure it’s enough for me to want to go buy a bunch since i’m still “off” peach teas but i’d revisit this one

Fjellrev

Would you say it’s a realistic peach flavour? I think my issue is that most peach teas taste like artificial juice crystals to me.

mmm probably need kittenna or variaTEA or Evol to weigh in on that. i feel like it’s closer…

This is probably one of the nicest peach teas I’ve ever had; I’m a big fan of the actual fruit but peach flavouring tends to fall flat with me. The Yunnan black tea base is cocoa-like with a peppery nip, and pairs interestingly with the peach flavouring and the star anise.

It’s a really soothing cup, and I wish I could channel some of that to my parents, who are in month three of home renovations and at wit’s end. The worker messed up badly with the tile laying in their en-suite shower (and won’t own up to it). Now they are looking at having someone else redo it, which is incredibly depressing and frustrating.

Steep Count: 2

Flavors: Anise, Chocolate, Cocoa, Peach

Evol Ving Ness

The nightmare of paying someone gazillions of dollars to invade your house for months on end and do their job poorly. Yep.

CrowKettle

That unfortunately sums it up :/

Kittenna

This is definitely one of the best peach teas I’ve had. Not only is the peach delicious, the base is flavourful too. Mmmm.

We’re looking at some heavy-duty renos in the near future… it’s scary to hear stories like that, but it happens far too often. Sympathies to your parents :(

CrowKettle

The base is lovely. I possibly loved the second steep more, which is novel for a flavoured tea! :)

Thanks. I hope your future reno goes nothing like my parents’ situation. I know it can be a challenge even in the best of circumstances.

Indulged in this last week. Pretty sure this is the best peach tea I’ll ever find. So delicious. I’m almost done this 4oz bag, but already have another at home :D

Jlvintagelove

Yay, I have a sample coming!

Thank you for the sample!
I was doing a bit of tidying up yesterday and found this little sample packet tucked behind a whole bunch of stuff on my dresser (because I was hiding yet another tea package from the husband….;p). It must have fallen out of the bag and I wasn’t aware. So I had this for a month or so and didn’t even know!
This tea is really lovely. The base is not astringent and really juicy. The peach notes are natural and very juicy, I was picturing that sweet juice running down my chin after I took the first bite of a fresh peach.
Secondary notes are buttery pastry. There is just a hint of spiciness right at the end but doesn’t linger. I can’t pinpoint what spice it is, but it is good.
The resteep held up really well in flavour.

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Huzzah! Tea once again tastes good. That metallic/gasoline-y edge is gone from my beverages. I can’t begin to tell you what a relief that is. I’m still on the antibiotic for 5 more days, but hopefully I’m done with the weird flavors. It was horrible to sip something that I know I like and have it taste like that.

So. It’s cool and overcast and dreary in Fargo today, just the right weather for tea sipping. I have several teas from A Quarter to Tea, and it’s hard to choose a favorite, but this one might be it. Tonight when I come home from my knitting group I think I’ll try another one. I haven’t had a bad one yet. I think there is more of this one at their Etsy store. If you like mild, sweet-ish dessert teas, you might want to try this one. It really is yummy.