Black Cherries in Sweet Cream

Darjeeling Tea, Dried Cherries, Mallow Flowers, Raspberry Leaves
Cherry, Cream, Vanilla, Cake, Raspberry, Artificial, Fruity, Sweet, Tannic, Tannin, Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

From A Quarter to Tea

Black Cherries in Sweet Cream:

“Illyrio smiled as his serving men spooned out bowls of black cherries in sweet cream for them both.” (Dance with Dragons)

Luscious black cherries with a medium body darjeeling base, paired with heavy notes of cream and vanilla. Decadent enough to make a magister proud.

All orders come in resealable packaging.

Ingredients:
darjeeling tea, raspberry leaves, mallow flowers, dried door county cherries, natural flavors

Brew and Size Instructions:
use 1-2 teaspoons for a 6 oz cup
steep for 2-3 minutes at 190F water

Remember, there’s no wrong way to take your tea, as long as it makes you happy! ☕

About A Quarter to Tea View company

Sipdown (310)!

I was happy to see this was the freebie sample tossed into my last order because I’ve been on the fence about ordering it with essentially every AQ2T order I’ve ever placed…

My mom and I disagree about the dry leaf aroma of this one: personally, I didn’t really smell the cherry and only picked up on the cream, which reminded me of the smell of heavy whipping cream with more sweetness. My mom instantly went to maraschino cherries…

I steeped this one up in a small teacup since the sample was a very small size; I also ended up resteeping it twice because I struggled to put my finger on exactly how I felt about it just off the first steep alone. Interestingly, the first two infusions tasted identical with ZERO flavour deterioration and the third was only marginally weaker in flavour.

I think that overall this one can be summed up as very accurate to the name, but probably just not the right tea for me personally. The cherry note is REALLY intense though; and it definitely reminds me strongly of black cherries, specifically those really fancy/expensive black cherries that get made into maraschino cherries for fancy/expensive mixed drinks/cocktails in mixology bars. Fuck the bright, firetruck red ones: this is the ‘elegant’ shit. And you know what? If that was all that the cherry tasted like I think I’d be fine with that but it’s a little artificial and that slight artificial quality just opens it up into falling into the trap so much cherry flavoured stuff falls into: it takes on a bit of a medicinal quality.

It’s not overpowering or just blatant, straight up medicinal but it IS there.

Lets talk about the cream though – ‘cause that was the best part for me. I like creamy teas a lot, but anything that’s cream flavoured artificially tends to rub me the wrong way a little bit. I’m just very particular about cream flavoured teas in general, it seems. And in this teas defense, it’s not artificial cream flavour – it’s natural. However, it’s flavourings regardless…

But the cream was great! It reminded me a lot of really heavy whipped cream; the kind of stuff I used to pile on breakfast pancakes/waffles in literal mounds. The good shit. The handwhipped shit – not Cool Whip or spray whipped cream nonsense. I was SO into this flavour element of the tea, and if there was more of it I think the degree to which I liked it would probably outweigh the parts of the cherry flavour that I didn’t like.

I’m really, really glad I tried it though! The curiosity probably would have eventually ate me alive if I hadn’t gotten this one as a sample – but while there are some REALLY good elements to this one, it’s just not for me overall. I can totally see why other people would be all over this one, though! I think the flavours line up perfectly with the name, and that can be a really rare thing to find in a tea…

Anyone who’s been following me knows that I’m a HUGE cherry fan. I’m also a fan of AQ2T. I’ve really enjoyed other cherry flavored teas from them. So…… I was really excited when Indigobloom was kind enough to share some of this one with me. I should love this.

But I don’t….. sigh. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I’ve steeped a few cups tonight – water temps 80-85-90 C – I’ve played with the steep times 2.5 – 3 – 4 minutes. I’ve resteeped leaves – I’ve used fresh leaves. I’ve added sweet, I’ve added milk, I’ve added both. Nope can’t do it. This is really icky. It’s cough syrup – and not just the fake cherry thing, but actually medicinal barely resembling cherry ewwww.

Thank you so much Indigobloom for sharing, I don’t understand why I don’t love this. There are several positive reviews so this is obviously something that just doesn’t work in my world. I may pass on the rest to someone else who will appreciate it. Sad face…..

Evol Ving Ness

Isn’t that interesting that our tastebuds do what they do.

Evol Ving Ness

Sorry that it sounded like such a winner and then nope, just nope.

Fjellrev

That’s too bad. What are your favourite cherry teas at the moment, anyway?

Evol Ving Ness

I have to admit that I’ve been curious about this one. Some reviews have been really positive about this creation.

mmmmm sample from crowkettle this one is quite lovely. thankfully i brewed it at a lower temp than usual for my blacks, as i hadn’t registered it was a darjeeling. I like the cherry flavour this has going on as well as the sweetness from the cream. might need to think about ordering some of this for myself…

Evol Ving Ness

Darjeeling and cherries and cream! Sounds like a win to me.

This was included as a free sample in my order.

This made a nice cup of fruity dessert tea, and seems like a possible alternative for Vicky’s Spongecake from Bluebird Tea Co; I have a soft spot for that tea. I can taste cherry, raspberry, cream, and frosting. The darjeeling base pokes through a tad, but it isn’t overly memorable or intrusive on first impression.

Flavors: Cake, Cherry, Cream, Raspberry

Sipdown! For some reason I thought I didn’t care for this, but I definitely do. It’s lightly cotton candy-sweet and delicious, with a small dose of cream. It’s a touch astringent, but I definitely oversteeped it. Would recommend and purchase again.

This tastes like the black cherry flavoring in black cherry soda. I don’t know if I am getting any cream notes but this is cherry and sweet and I am happy.

This gets more astringent as it cools so it is best to finish it off before that happens.

Evol Ving Ness

The name alone is lovely.

My first cup of this was much tastier. That was in my travel mug. Second was at home. Sugar brought out more cherry this time but not cream. Hmmm. Must try again. Maybe as a latte

Reading the ingredients, this sounded much better than it tasted. Very strong artificial cherry flavour and the black base was too strong for me. Lots of delicious oxidised tea flavours and some malty notes that I loved. That being said, I wouldn’t say the cream came through. I didn’t get any of the mallow root, unfortunately.

Will try this cold brewed next, because I think that will bring out the vanilla/cream and subdue the black base a bit.

Flavors: Artificial, Cherry, Fruity, Sweet, Tannic, Tannin, Tea

Indigobloom

With two of the Q2T blends I’ve tried, adding milk or a bit of sugar has made a huge difference for me. May be worth a shot

Lauren | A Quarter to Tea

Turning down the heat will definitely help the Darjeeling base. Most do best with temps around 185-195. This tea does best around 3 minutes @ 190.

Arby

I’ll try a different temperature! When I brew tea on campus I’m stuck with whatever temperature the hot water dispenser is at (just under boiling), but I will try a more controlled brewing at home. I’ll also give adding soy milk a try, I find many black teas go excellent with milk. Thank you for the suggestions!

Oops, dealing with kids and this cuppa was lukewarm by the time I took my first sip. And by then, my body was saying "just give me the caffeine " so I guzzled it. Lol, no tasting note here. It tasted like cherries, that’s all I remember.
Did anyone else have a day like that?

Indigobloom

hah. that sounds about right. It was a crunch time day at work. Student grades depended on our accuracy… and they were due!