Black Fruit Blend
Apple Pieces, Calendula Petals, Ceylon Black Tea, Cocoa Bean Shells, Flowers, Hibiscus, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, Rose Hips, Sunflower Petals
Chocolate, Cream, Hibiscus, Orange, Sour, Tart, Berries, Cocoa, Orange Zest
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 9 oz / 273 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “I tried this the same time as Lupicia’s Chcoolate Orange, but I find I prefer this one. The chocolate tastes like dark chocolate which is nice, and it’s slightly bitter which is reminiscent of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tea #13 from HHTTB2 Once this is brewed up, it smells just like dark cocoa with a hint of orange! The flavor is dark and cocoa-y, though the base itself isn’t terribly strong. The orange flavor...” Read full tasting note
  • “Teabox B! When I saw this list of ingredients I was thinking “WHAT was Terry thinking?!?!” No, not the Terri who sent this for me to try (thank you!) but the Terry the blend is named for. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “I could eat some chocolate right about now and it’s unusual I would crave it to begin with, I’m a savoury person over sweet most of the time. In raw form it has a soured cocoa scent that is quite...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Orange chocolate tea blend. It’s not Terry’s…

We named our amazing chocolate orange tea after our uncle Terry because it’s his favourite. He’s so fond of it he keeps telling people it’s his. So we have to remind people it’s not actually Terry’s, it’s ours! But with chocolatey cacao and fruity orange peel we can’t really blame him!

Ceylon black tea, cocoa shells, apple pieces, rosehip, hibiscus, orange blossom, orange peel, calendula petals, sunflower petals, natural flavouring

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I tried this the same time as Lupicia’s Chcoolate Orange, but I find I prefer this one. The chocolate tastes like dark chocolate which is nice, and it’s slightly bitter which is reminiscent of dark chocolate as well! It was overall an enjoyable tea, but not my favourite dessert tea. I’ll play around with it a bit before I rate it, but it’s at least 70.

I’m not a huge fan of hibiscus in my teas, so I think I’ll try steeping this for 3 minutes next time.

I really don’t like lupicia s orange chocolat. Stacy’s the only tea place that has done chocolate and orange together properly for me heh

Cavocorax

It’s a hard one to do right! I’m picky about chocolate in teas, but from what I recall I did like the Butiki version (which isn’t a surprise – I think the pineapple one is the only one I was meh about).

Terri HarpLady

This one sounds interesting!

Tea #13 from HHTTB2

Once this is brewed up, it smells just like dark cocoa with a hint of orange!

The flavor is dark and cocoa-y, though the base itself isn’t terribly strong. The orange flavor comes through as very much candied orange rind flavor. And while the hibiscus doesn’t come through on the sip, the musty tartness is pervasive in the aftertaste. I’d be afraid to brew this longer in fear of popping the hibiscus into the sip.

Good, but not great.

Teabox B! When I saw this list of ingredients I was thinking “WHAT was Terry thinking?!?!” No, not the Terri who sent this for me to try (thank you!) but the Terry the blend is named for. Chocolate, hibiscus, orange, apple, rosehips?!? The chocolate and orange is weird enough of a combo for me. But I trust Bluebird and they have some really nice blends that I have sampled that I can’t wait to order… but I’m trying to hold off! After steeping for four minutes, the flavor really isn’t that bad. Maybe there wasn’t hibiscus in this teaspoon, but I didn’t taste any. There were equal hints of orange, chocolate all on a mild black tea base. I do wish Bluebird used a stronger black base, but that would probably take away from their awesome blend idea (usually better than this one.) There was also a taste that I had in The Tea Merchant’s Yunnan’s Fable pu-erh that had be thinking this was either pu-erh or had coconut but I was wrong. I liked this one more than I thought but I will leave the rest of this one in the teabox for someone else to try.

Mike Turner

Thanks for the comments! It’s named after a product in the UK called Terry’s Chocolate Orange as it’s a bit of a play on that and how they market it here – hence the strange name!

We use hibiscus sometimes just to give a bit of a fruity boost, so it’s often only a small enough amount that the flavour of the hibiscus itself doesn’t come through strongly.

Thanks a lot for mentioning our awesome blend ideas, we love coming up with them and we feel honoured to be in your favourite teas list!

tea-sipper

Thanks for reading! I didn’t know about Terry’s chocolate oranges but I probably would have blamed Terry anyway! haha. I’m looking forward to a Bluebird order! Especially if you happen to get resealable packaging. Also, I sometimes think Bluebeard when I think of Bluebird!

Mike Turner

We are now using resealable packaging after a few people said the same!

Mike Turner

Terry’s chocolate oranges are amazing, give one a try if you ever get the chance!

tea-sipper

All packaging is resealable now, including the smaller packaging on the experience packs?

Mike Turner

Yep, the large packets are still in the same packaging with the tin tie at the moment (although we will shortly be offering those in zip lock pouches too) and the experience packs are now in zip lock pouches.

tea-sipper

Good to know! I’ll have to order sooner now!

In raw form it has a soured cocoa scent that is quite heavy on the rosehip. Hopefully it will taste nicer than it smells.

Once steeped it smells more chocolatey than before but it’s still missing the orange. Instead it smells sort of…musty and sour and old. I think it’s just the rosehip and cocoa combination but honestly it isn’t that pleasant.

Flavour is dark and rich with heavy tones from both the ceylon and chocolate but similar to it’s smell it also tastes sour. I’m struggling to find anything nice about a tea that’s dark rich and sour. It’s far from the chocolate orange drink I had imagined.

I’m stopping the review, this one is just not for me. I don’t even think I can finish it. Bleugh. Sorry Bluebird Tea Co, no rating for this.

Thanks again to Cavocorax for another awesome tea sample :D

Although I’m pretty sure I’ve found my perfect orange chocolate tea (a Butiki custom blend, Two Friends), I’m still curious to try others. Hence, this tea! I was a bit weirded out at first that it had hibiscus in it, but since I usually go for a pretty short infusion with blacks anyhow, I figured it wouldn’t cause too many problems. I seem to be right, as I can’t taste it at all. What I can taste is some tasty orange, with a background of dark chocolate. The orange is a little… brighter? Than in the Butiki blend… maybe that’s the hibiscus at work? It’s not a bad thing, just different. The chocolate base also isn’t as obvious, but I am definitely enjoying the lack of astringency here (though 2 minute infusions tame even the worst of teas. Not that I think this one couldn’t have handled 3-4 minutes).

Overall, not a bad cup of tea, but it wouldn’t be my first choice to fill any tea desire niche.

This is one of the samples that came with my first Bluebird order. I’ve tried a good few chocolate teas now, but this is my first chocolate orange experience. It’s a combination I like in reality (Terry’s are a favourite of mine), so I’m interested to see how the tea version works out.

The dry leaves smell just like the chocolate bar. There’s the initial milky smoothness, and then the zesty zing of orange. I’m not 100% sure on the ingredients, but it looks like some kind of petal (maybe marigold?), pieces of orange and orange zest, something that looks like a hazelnut shaving, chocolate pieces, and maybe a small amount of hibiscus and rosehip, as well as black tea. All I know at this point is that if it tastes anything like it smells I’ll be too happy to care!

And it does, so I’m over the moon! The liquor, without milk, is a red-brown colour. With milk, it turns the colour of a latte or a mug of hot chocolate. The first thing I can taste is creamy, milky chocolate, followed swiftly by the slight tang of orange. It is just like drinking a bar of orange flavoured chocolate. Creamy, chocolatey, orangey. It sounds simple, and it is, but it’s so, so yummy and not at all artificial tasting. I’m really glad to have tried this one — thank you Bluebird!

mmm this does sound tasty

yyz

excited to try my sample now!

Tea #7 from the Here’s Hoping TTB

It isn’t often I say this about an orange flavored tea, but this wasn’t bad, and that is saying a lot because I really hate orange. I liked the combination of dark chocolate and orange, which is also a first for me because normally that is a combination that just doesn’t seem to turn out well. I wish there had been more of this, I would like to have been able to play around with this more. My cup turned out really weak, even though I only used 6 oz of water. This could quite possibly be an orange tea I could really enjoy. I consider it an added bonus that I really liked the quality of chocolate used as well, I’m really picky about chocolate teas.

Looks like I’m really making progress on the I hate all things citrus front!

This tea won’t be continuing on, I finished off the last little bit.

tea-sipper

I’m so sorry so many teas from the teabox have been orange that you don’t like! Yikes!

So, I received this in a sample. (I wish the samples were a big bigger to be able to experiment with how to take it, etc., but that’s another story.) The smell is nice citrus with the mix of chocolate. With one of my favorite chocolate treats being those orange chocolate things (I cannot recall the names of them), I was excited for this. However, after this was steeped, I was a bit depressed to it. I couldn’t really get any taste out of this. And after I added milk to it, but it started to taste a bit off? It was a bit better when it got cold, though, not by much. The directions on the website were a bit vague for how to brew as well. (Or I thought so at least). I might request another sample of this at some point when I have the money so I can try it again and alter a few things when I have money, but I’m sad to say I was disappointed in this.

This tea is giving me the hibbie jibbies, which is to say it has hibiscus in it that I can taste, which means it tastes gross. It smells great, all chocolate orange like, but all I get on the sip is tart hib. I wonder if hibiscus hate is similar to cilantro hate where it’s actually something in your brain that registers the taste in a way that the majority of the population doesn’t and it’s all you can taste while it overpowers any other flavors. Anyways, I’m done trying to make friends with this tea.

Mastress Alita

At least based on the reviews that come through my dashboard, I’d tend to think it’s a minority of the population that likes hibiscus and the majority that hates it, heh. I swear I see about 90% reviews that hate the flavor of hibiscus and only 10% that like it (with me being in that rare 10%, so I feel somewhat like an alien on this site). I had to actually add plain hibiscus petal from my stash to my tea last night because it was somehow missing from the teabag in my advent calendar and my tea tasted weaksauce and gross without it. I am probably the only person on here that was legit upset to get a hibi-cider that was missing the hibi. :-P

Cameron B.

I don’t hate it per se, but I do dislike when it overpowers the other flavors in a blend.

Mastress Alita

I personally think something has to do with the receptors on individual tongues; I’ve always believed a person’s tastes seem to be as personalized as their fingerprints. For example, I’m extremely sensitive to spicy tastes, and avoid really spicy food, while I have friends that are very much, “The spicier, the better!” You could give each of us the same spicy food and ask us to rate it, and something they say is a “3” on a scale of 1-10 I’d say is a “13” and is burning my mouth off. I think my tongue is personally very receptive to the sour/tart/tangy areas of taste, while I think other people might overly sensitive to these sorts of flavors, hense me finding a flavor like hibiscus quite pleasant, while someone with that sensitivity finding it super sour and getting that puckery effect… the way I get a burning mouth from a spice that someone else might find mild.

Nattie

I didn’t know that about cilantro! How interesting. I’m going to have to look that up as I’m one of the haters and nobody seems to understand why. I hated this tea, and don’t have a problem with hibiscus usually, so I’m leaning towards this just being gross.

Mastress Alita

My friend actually has the “cilantro effect”. It’s something genetic with certain people. It tastes like soap to him! He knows immediately if even a tiny amount of cilantro is in something, heh.

Nattie

I’m like that, too. It always baffles my family how I can tell.

Dustin

A friend of mine who is a cilantro hater (he describes it as a mix of aluminium foil on a filling and soap) noticed his kids got the cilantro hate gene too. Because it is in so many types of food and one leaf ruins a dish for him, he has worked for years to overcome it by eating small amounts at a time.

Arby

Cilantro is so obnoxious. Like bitter metallic parsley with some chemical soapy flavour in there. Yuck, it ruins anything it touches. I don’t like hibiscus either.

Home – 7:30 PM

Chocolate & orange is one of my favorite combinations, so of course I had to grab a 20g packet of this in my Bird & Blend order!

I’m not sure what they were thinking with this blend, to be honest. It’s too tart from the hibiscus and rosehips. In fact, it’s downright sour. I can taste some orange hidden behind the tartness. The chocolate is actually quite nice, it’s milk chocolaty and somewhat creamy.

So I feel like if they had just left out the stupid hibiscus, it would be a good tea.

I think next time I’ll try picking out the hibiscus and rosehips and see how it tastes then…

Flavors: Chocolate, Cream, Hibiscus, Orange, Sour, Tart

VariaTEA

I find Bird and Blend sometimes tosses in ingredients, typically hibiscus, in teas that seem like they really don’t need those ingredients. Like all other ingredients make sense but then one or two seem really unnecessary or even contrary to what the goal is.

Nattie

This was one of the first teas I ever bought, and still to this day probably my least favourite tea of all time. Man, that scar took a while to heal.