Dark Choc Chilli Chai

Black Chai Blend
Chocolate, Cream, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Had another go with this yesterday, while watching an old episode of The Vampire Diaries on DVD. When I made the first cup a few days ago, I kind of forgot what I was dealing with and treated it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Was hoping this Chili Chocolate Chai would offer me the spice I was looking for. Alas, it’s the same as Della Terra’s version: zero spice or heat to it. Still nice and creamy, just something other...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sip down! I have enjoyed this one. It is of the caliber of Zhi Tea chais, which are my favorite. It is well balanced and flavorful. The chili adds a slight warming sensation, which could be WAY...” Read full tasting note
  • “i’m not overly a fan of chocolate teas but this one is a fun and decent cup! I like the chocolate flavour, the chili is a nice kick to the entire cup and overall i can get behind this as a chai. ...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

This award winning blend is our absolute favourite guilt free sweet treat!

Real chunks of decadent dark chocolate help melt away the day’s worries followed by a chilli kick to awaken your tastebuds!

Ceylon black tea, Cocoa shells, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cacao bean, Chocolate chips (sugar, cacao, emulsifier soya lecithin), Chilli, Flavour

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Had another go with this yesterday, while watching an old episode of The Vampire Diaries on DVD. When I made the first cup a few days ago, I kind of forgot what I was dealing with and treated it much as I would any other black tea. I was “rewarded” with a very strong chilli kick, which was almost a bit much. So today, I decided to try and remedy that a little and brewed this as a latte instead. I used quite a big cup, added an extra teaspoon of leaf (with some trepidation, admittedly), and used half as much water as I usually would. After about 5 minutes, I topped it up with some warmed milk.

It’s much better this way. The chilli is still there, but it’s a spicy warmth rather than a hot burn. The other flavours are also a little more prevalent — there’s more chocolate coming through, and some of the other spices, like the cinnamon and ginger, are making their presence known.

It’s nice to know that there are a couple of ways I can brew this, depending on the flavour profile I’m looking for. It’s equally reassuring to know that I can tone the chilli down into something pleasant, rather than a challenge. I feel more at home with this one now.

Was hoping this Chili Chocolate Chai would offer me the spice I was looking for. Alas, it’s the same as Della Terra’s version: zero spice or heat to it. Still nice and creamy, just something other than what I was looking for, or what it’s labelled as.

NayLynn

Sorry it was not what your looking for. I have not tried it myself but I’ve heard you can add cayenne pepper to teas like this that don’t have the kick you would expect. I’m not sure if that is a normal spice you would keep in house.

Sip down!
I have enjoyed this one. It is of the caliber of Zhi Tea chais, which are my favorite. It is well balanced and flavorful. The chili adds a slight warming sensation, which could be WAY stronger IMO. IF I were to spend the money on shipping for another order, this would be on the short list of teas I really enjoyed from this company.

tea-sipper

WAIT! Bird and Blend has free shipping on ALL orders (including international) until I think… Monday at midnight (probably UK time)? So now is your chance!

Dustin

I was disappointed enough with most of their teas that I’ll likely not be purchasing from them again. Also, I’m doing really good on my new year resolution of not buying any tea! It would take tea WAY more amazing than B&B to get me to break that!

tea-sipper

Aw, but I love B&B. haha. But the glory of free shipping is that you could just order the Dark Choc Chili Chai.

Kittenna

@tea-sipper I’m unsure whether I should regret seeing your comment or not…

Evol Ving Ness

hahahha, yeah, those with tons of teas should only read the negative reviews. :)

Kittenna

Welp. I now have a B&B order on its way to me.

Evol Ving Ness

But FREE shipping! Yay you!

Kittenna

Except that for some reason, it did not apply. Sooooo I’ve emailed them to sort it out. Sigh. The number of times I’ve had to go back and forth with various people/companies over things like this lately is astounding and frustrating.

Evol Ving Ness

They’ll likely tack it back on your cc and it’ll be easy-peasy.

tea-sipper

AWESOME Kittenna, but sorry things weren’t as easy as they should have been on the shipping.

Dustin

I was surprised to find that I liked their tisanes, but most of their teas were weak on the flavors promised. Glad others are enjoying them tho!
Hope you get the not free shipping sorted out! :(

Kittenna

Hopefully I like what I picked up! I did create my own sampler, plus got 50g of a few things. They refunded the shipping, but unfortunately, I was dinged on the exchange in both directions, which sucks.

i’m not overly a fan of chocolate teas but this one is a fun and decent cup! I like the chocolate flavour, the chili is a nice kick to the entire cup and overall i can get behind this as a chai. It might be a little spicy for some though.

So VariaTEA gave me some teas we split as well as a ton of awesome samples and I’m up at 154 teas now, but that’s cool. I’m very excited to try everything.

This one was good but too much chilli. Just, too much chili. Otherwise it’s very good, and thanks!

VariaTEA

You’re welcome! Glad you (sorta) enjoyed it.

Sipdown!!

Thank you Nattie!! This smells like a fudgey brownie which is oh-so-tempting but the taste is mostly cacao. Granted it is a rich cacao flavor, one I am enjoying far more than most but at the end of the day, it is still cacao and that is not a flavor that is really for me when it comes to teas. However, I 100% recommend this to anyone who enjoys cacao flavors with a little bit of a tasty kick.

Ooooh it’s a deep burn. Ohhhhhhh. This was a bonus treat from Scheherazade in our swap, so thank you! Woo! I don’t often go for chocs or chais and I did end up regifting most of this sample to a friend who is a fan of such things, but I couldn’t resist taking just enough for myself to sample the once.

And then I did my wonderful work trick of forgetting about my still-steeping tea, and this oversteeped—for around 15mins. So it’s got a KICK to it, son! SHEESH. I tamed the beast with a teaspoon of sugar and a dollop of milk, and now I’m getting that creamy chocolatey taste and the chilli isn’t knocking me on my ass. Ooh, this would be good on a cold winter night (and they’re not too far around the corner for me).

Good job with this blend! And thanks again to Sarah for forcing me to try things I wouldn’t otherwise gravitate toward. The joy of tea strikes again!

Flavors: Chocolate, Cream, Honey

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Nattie

Steepster was supposed to distract me from my work for no more than 10 minutes, and now I have to go and make myself a mug of this.
Look what you made me do!

Memily

Ahhhhhh I blame Sarah.

additional notes: I’m enjoying this favorite today, mostly because sinuses need some Cayenne right now… I wonder if the new version also uses the new black tea base that is stronger, like the other new versions of the other black teas? I hope so. I just couldn’t take this Ceylon and it’s the only bad thing about this blend. This is certainly a blend with my name on it. The cocoa shells never age. (This is an older blend…. still so so good, piping hot.)
I watched the movie of ‘What We Do in the Shadows’ last night and what took me so long? I love that movie. It not only made vampires and werewolves funny, but I swear there were various shades of Blair Witch in there as well. I’m a bit afraid for the show though… I have faith that the funny Matt Berry can pull the show off, but I’m already missing Jemaine and Taika’s characters. I’m very glad it’s now a show, because I’m lacking in funny shows lately.

Mastress Alita

That is one of my favorite movies of all time! I plan to give the TV show a chance tonight.

tea-sipper

haha :D And I can’t not mention Rhys Darby as a werewolf! I don’t think the movie cast could have been better. Except for Deacon…

Mastress Alita

Deacon has all my favorite lines in the movie, though. I cry tears every time at his “inspiring speech” about death towards the end every time. Also the “shame, shame, bad vampire!” part. Man. Just too funny.

Supposedly there was supposed to be a sequel movie in production called “We’re Wolves” and also another spin-off TV series set in New Zealand like the movies following the two bumbling buddy-cops from the movie, as well.

oh man, it needs ALL the spinoffs. :D

tea-sipper

Also, Moss from The IT Crowd needs to be one of Matt Berry’s victims.

tea-sipper

The cat with Jemaine’s face!!! I could go on and on. sigh.

Mastress Alita

“Just leave me to do my dark bidding… on the Internet!” * Vladislav bids on a table on EBay *

AJRimmer

Dude that’s one of my favorite movies too! I saw it at a film festival years ago, and it’s seriously one of those movies that sticks with you. All the people involved are so talented.

tea-sipper

And so much talent just from New Zealand!

ashmanra

We’re werewolves, not swearwolves!

YEESSS, Ashmanra. Loved that line. :D

The smell is very creamy and smells strongly of honey. There is no chocolate taste, though on some sips the chili hits the back of the throat and lingers in an unpleasant way. Thanks for the sample Nattie, but this tea wasn’t for me.

Flavors: Cream, Honey

Nattie

Aw no, I loved this one! Funny how different teas taste different to different people – I get a really strong chocolate taste from this one. Sorry to hear I gave you a funky tea! Hope you enjoy the others (:

Nattie

By the way, it’s so much fun hearing what you thought! (:

I drank this with the last of my cream, and it was heavenly. Smooth, thick, creamy chocolate like the best hot chocolate in the world. A real chilli kick behind it too, along with the spices, especially the ginger, to remind you that it’s a chai and not just a common hot chocolate. This was truly decadent, and the best way to drink this tea so far. The spices play around and seem to change up a bit, tasting slightly different in each mouthful. The chocolate taste is somehow more ‘real’ and present than in a lot of chocolate teas I’ve tried, and the chilli kick is also a lot more powerful than I was expecting. I did have one bad mouthful – somewhere around the half-way point of my mug, I got a mouthful which was very strongly cardamom, a flavour I don’t really like. This was a shock, as although it is present in a lot of chais, it usually just complement the other flavours. This was like a full on cardamom whack to the face, and took me a minute or two to steel myself enough to drink any more (which thankfully did not have the same strong cardamom punch). My favourite way to drink this chai so far, although I’m now thinking I should do it as a latte.

Apologies for the probably incoherent and definitely rambling tasting note – I wrote the first couple of lines hours ago, and it’s now almost 3AM and I’m super tired but can’t sleep. I hate it when my brain does that.

A side note – my mystery box from MissB arrived today! I didn’t expect to see it yet so was happily surprised, and then even more so when I saw the contents (which basically consisted of all wishlist items). Bonny has put so much thought into it I was really touched, and seriously felt like a kid at Christmas opening all my new teas and inspecting and sniffing each one. I’ve already tried a few of the teas I received, and will review some tomorrow hopefully. I was planning to today, but I’m too tired to do it justice.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 400 ML