Fruit Herbal Blend
Apple Pieces, Cinnamon, Cloves, Flavor, Ginger, Hibiscus, Lemon Peel, Rose Hips
Cinnamon, Clove, Fruity, Green Apple, Hibiscus, Spices, Tangy, Tart, Apple, Ginger, Lemon, Musty
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 14 oz / 412 ml

• “I’ve had the stomach flu the last few days. It was thoroughly unpleasant, and even drinking tea was highly unappealing. So I am quite behind on my tea advent calendar from Bird & Blend. I can’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sample from VariaTEA! This is another surprisingly tasty blend :) I’d say they pretty much hit it on the mark for me in terms of coming across as a mulled cider. For me, this delivers on it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holiday Tea-son! This was a free sampler Bird & Blend included in my advent calendar order. I honestly expected it to be in the calendar, so I was holding onto it so I could make a pot of tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was a sample from Bird and Blend that I was happy to revisit. Sipped on it as I ate an overpriced square donut from a place in Toronto. I was happy with one of the things I was consuming and...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Sweet spiced apple, what a winter warmer!

Aromatic winter spices: cinnamon, cloves + ginger, steeped with apple chunks to create this mellow + comforting hot tea toddy. Brew up a fruit infusion, or use to create mulled cider. Serve steaming with a splash of dark rum and snuggle up on a chilly winter’s eve!

Apple pieces, ginger, rosehip, hibiscus, cinnamon, cloves, lemon peel, flavour

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I’ve had the stomach flu the last few days. It was thoroughly unpleasant, and even drinking tea was highly unappealing. So I am quite behind on my tea advent calendar from Bird & Blend. I can’t remember which day this was. It is a very pretty pink tea. I loved the sound of it. However, the hibiscus was a little much for me. It wasn’t a bad tea. Someone who enjoys the zing of hibiscus would very likely love this one.

Sample from VariaTEA!

This is another surprisingly tasty blend :) I’d say they pretty much hit it on the mark for me in terms of coming across as a mulled cider. For me, this delivers on it’s namesake! And it’s a herbal, which is super nice. Was a really nice treat this afternoon with lunch watching the snow get blown around in the courtyard :)

Holiday Tea-son! This was a free sampler Bird & Blend included in my advent calendar order. I honestly expected it to be in the calendar, so I was holding onto it so I could make a pot of tea when it turned up since I’d have two teabags, but it never did so now I’m just having a late night cuppa while I finish off watching Solo (yes, for the first time… I don’t really do movies in the theater because the volume is always just way too loud for my migraine-head, and it took forever to get to me on the hold list when we got the DVD in at work). I’m fine with some late-night hibi-hip cider, though. And it just passed midnight in my timezone, so Merry Christmas to all you Steepsterites that celebrate! (I actually don’t observe, but I send well-wishing to you all anyway!)

So, first good sign, my cup is actually red! Thanks B&B, I would’ve been a little worried if I got two spiced ciders this season lacking their hibi petals and having a weaksauce base. This smells absolutely lovely, in fact! I’m getting spiced cinnamon apples wafting off the cup… mmm! A bit of clove too. And spiced apple cider is pretty much the flavor I’m getting from this, too. Once the flavors settle, there is a hibi fruitiness to the base, but it isn’t nearly as thick or strong as other hibi ciders I’ve had, and actually the strongest flavor note coming through for me in the tea is apple! It reads as more of a tart green apple (mmm, Granny Smith is my favorite kind of apple!), with strong cinnamon and clove spices. The spice is warming but doesn’t leave any unpleasant heat behind in the mouth.

I like this one! It makes me think of a classy, high-end loose leaf version of Stash’s Apple Cinnamon Chamomile tea, which is one of the few bagged teas I still really like.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Fruity, Green Apple, Hibiscus, Spices, Tangy, Tart

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML
AJRimmer

I totally agree with you about the movie volume! I’m afraid of hearing damage (and I’m also super cheap) so the only times I go are for the premieres of Star Wars or Star Trek movies.

Mastress Alita

I won’t even go to Star Wars premiers, hense why I was just seeing Solo for the first time last night. I’d rather wait and step on eggshells avoiding spoilers from my nerd friends for half a year than spend the money to be given a migraine when I already get 2-3 a week easily enough on my own.

AJRimmer

I don’t blame you at all! It sucks that you have migraines all the time!

This was a sample from Bird and Blend that I was happy to revisit. Sipped on it as I ate an overpriced square donut from a place in Toronto. I was happy with one of the things I was consuming and disappointed by the other.

lol i saw the square donuts on insta….seems like an interesting gimmick

VariaTEA

They’re expensive af and definitely not worth it. Not to mention they are cooked in peanut oil and this rule out a large demographic

Weird. You need to come to beeechwood. So good. And vegan!

Home – 11:00 PM

This is from a past Bird & Blend subscription box, which I’ve signed up for again! Their subscription is surprisingly reasonable – it’s about $15 per month for 20g each of 3 teas (so 60g total), and that’s including the international shipping.

This is one of the better mulled teas I’ve had (it seems to be a rather common concept for the holiday season). It does have hibiscus, but it’s not too strong. It adds a nice light tartness that accents the apple flavor well, and it contributes to the color as well.

There’s just a little bit too much ginger in my opinion, but I’m not the biggest fan of ginger so that may just be my preference. It’s not overpowering, by any means, and it does pair nicely with apple. There’s also some gentle clove and cinnamon. Perhaps a bit of lemon as well?

Overall, it’s a good balance of sweet and tart with some nice spice notes. And the ginger is growing on me as I drink it… ;)

Flavors: Apple, Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Hibiscus, Lemon, Tart

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I was looking forward to a warming cup of this today, but it’s not quite as I remember it being the first time I tried it. It’s apple and spice, yes, but there’s an underlying soapiness that’s really distracting, to the point where it’s spoiling my enjoyment of the cup.

I’m going to put this out there – I don’t wash my work mug with soap of any kind. It gets a rinse under the tap, and the occasional wipe with a paper towel, but that’s the extent of it. That’s not to say it’s not clean, just that I don’t trust any of the cleaning implements in the office kitchen anywhere near my cup. That’s how I know it’s not contaminated with soap from a lack of proper rinsing, so the soapiness must somehow be coming from the tea. I used a little more leaf this time than last, but that’s the only difference. Mostly, I was trying to boost the flavour level since it turned out a little weak and watery last time.

I don’t know what’s making it soapy, but it’s making me sad.

Day four of advent calendar: I’m worried that I might not like this tea as it seems like it’s heavy on spices. I actually like cider, but not when it’s overwhelmed by cinnamon, clove, ginger. The scent of this tea reminds me of a spiced apple candle… a tad artificial. Sipping this tea, it’s definitely not as strong on the spices.. The apple flavor is a bit weak and watered down. I wish that the cider element could be stronger and more natural. It reminds me of drinking a dish of potpourri. Even though I don’t love this cup, it is a comforting drink to have on a cold night.

I ordered a Bird & Blend BYO Advent this year, and it arrived at work on Friday along with two freebie samples that I made quick work of finishing off – this one I drank even before it made it into my Steepster cupboard!

I had this nagging feeling I’d tried it before but I couldn’t remember for sure – Steepster, and my relentless obsession to document all new teas I experience, confirms it though! It tasted really familiar steeped up, and quite tasty – I’m happy to see that the last time I tried this one I seemed to also enjoy it a fair bit.

What’s interesting though is that I said I liked the cinnamon notes but disliked the ginger. I mean, that sounds very much like me, but for this cup what I appreciated was the contrast of the warm and lightly spicy ginger accented against a much sweeter red apple note. I didn’t get much cinnamon at all, really. I wonder if this comes own to ingredient ratio or if it’s simply that my tastes have changed since my last experience.

Guys! Guys… Maybe I’m starting to kind of like ginger!?

Tasting note written a couple nights ago: This was in a mini-box of gift teas that Bluebird was selling during their sale. I was happy I get to try it! It’s a different play on their Mulled Wine that I tried ONCE before and was one of my favorite herbal teas. (Mulled wine was also included in the gift box even though they barely had it for sale this year!) I always get worried when I see hibiscus listed in ingredients, but I should always remember that Bluebird always uses the perfect amount of hibiscus. Their blends never overdue the stuff, or maybe I always get the perfect little teaspoon. The flavor here is perfectly balanced between fruit and spice, with hints of tartness from the hibiscus. The brew is only light pink and NOT a murder of dark red hibiscus. I actually steeped for three minutes but on noticing that the brew was pink, went on for another three minutes because I knew the hibiscus wouldn’t be overdone. (I must use this rule for other hibiscus blends.) The main fruit note is apple, so mulled cider it is! I need to save this tea for when I know I’ll want to guzzle TWO steeps of no-caff at night. I’m happy with Bluebird’s herbals! This is about the highest rating I’ll give for any tea with hibiscus though, even if done well. Steepsterers really need to be drinking Bluebird’s teas more!
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for full mug // couple minutes after boiling // 6 minute steep

Cameron B.

I agree with you on the hibiscus, they definitely show some good restraint.

A musty fruity flavour, provided by the apples and hibiscus, hints at a faint essence of cider, that becomes a little tart in the finish. This is combined by a spiced element of cinnamon and cloves with a tiny tang of ginger right at the finish.

Flavors: Fruity, Musty, Spices