Chocolate Digestives

Cardamom, Ceylon Black Tea, Cocoa Bean Shells, Cocoa Nibs, Fenugreek, Licorice, Natural Flavours
Bitter, Caramel, Chocolate, Cookie, Malt, Brown Sugar, Cardamon, Maple, Butter, Sweet, Spices
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Another tea that I received a sample of in my Easter themed tasting box from Bird & Blend. What I find kind of interesting is that I know with 100% certainty that I’ve had a chocolate Digestive...” Read full tasting note
  • “From their subscription; I think an April 2019 one? Took a strainer, two teaspoons of tea in, added boiling water. After 5 minutes I took the strainer off. The results are following: Dark, bit...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks again for the fun sale, Cameron B! I have no idea what chocolate digestive cookies taste like. They seem to be a not-American cookie. However, this tea is lovely. It has a unique...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you Cameron B. for the sample. :D Quick note. This was good but I didn’t taste any cocoa/chocolate though. It was more like caramel, maple, brown sugar, cookie/biscuit taste with cardamon. I...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A smooth cocoa hit with a chocolatey biscuity base!

The Chocolate Digestive…arguably on top of the biscuit pyramid, we thought it was about time it had its own black tea blend. A velvety smooth, caramel + chocolate delight, best enjoyed whilst dunkin’ the real thing.

Sri Lankan Black Tea, Cocoa Nibs, Cocoa Shells, Fenugreek, Liquorice, Cardamom, Natural Flavouring

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

What I find kind of interesting is that I know with 100% certainty that I’ve had a chocolate Digestive cookie before and I can envision the flavour in my head, but I cannot for the life of me remember when I tried them and in what context or visualize what they look like. So that’s kind of weird. They’re probably something that I had at my Grandmother’s house growing up, to be honest – that seems like the kind of thing she would have kept stocked up…

But sure enough, when I opened up the bag of tea for the first time I was flooded with a rich, intense chocolate cookie flavour that perfectly matched up with that I had been envisioning in my head! How strange! Now, when I think actively about what I’m smelling I can break the overall aroma down to its components: chocolate, fennel, cardamom – but if I let myself just smell it in a less active/attentive way it really DOES smell like a chocolate digestive cookie!

Steeped up, the taste mirrors the aroma of the dry leaf almost perfectly; how often does that happen!? The answer, of course, is NOT often. The same thing I said about the smell of the dry leaf is true; when drinking less attentively it very perfectly mirrors what I’m mentally recollecting a Digestive to taste like; but when I think about it even a little bit my mind disassembles all the components and I just taste chocolate, lots of cardamom, a bit of fennel, some licorice root, and a little graham. It’s delicious though, and I’m very pleasantly surprised with how this blend steeped up!

From their subscription; I think an April 2019 one?

The results are following:
Dark, bit opaque, copper colour.
Biscuity aroma combined with malt from tea. Little of chocolate. Yummy! It reminds a real thing a bit.
It is full of flavour. I tastes quite a lot like real thing – I guess I have to buy them again and try to pair it with this tea. Shops are closed tomorrow though :/
It is really biscuity, with chocolate top. And base tea, this time it is Sri Lankan Black Tea it gives it some malty flavour combined with caramel. I do not notice any spices as previous raters. Probably another batch. Or they tweaked a recipe a bit.

Overall, if you are looking for biscuits in liquid form, this tea is for you. Maybe I steeped it for long and that made it bit bitter for my tooth. But it is really nice blend. I just need tweak brews a bit.

7.30 pm, I have to at least start with something to Uni. Deadline is in Friday noon. Thursday night working again. Kids over for a weekend. No panic attacks, but today it was close! I just was telling myself it is not end of the World. And next week my friend from Switzerland will come! I can not wait for that!

Just I want to finish those exams… all, as soon as possible. Why are they making it so hard?

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Chocolate, Cookie, Malt

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

Thanks again for the fun sale, Cameron B! I have no idea what chocolate digestive cookies taste like. They seem to be a not-American cookie. However, this tea is lovely. It has a unique flavor… never tasted this in a tea before. It kind of takes over the cup and it’s also hard to describe. Both steeps tasted very similar, with only a hint of chocolate. It was mostly that added flavor — or possibly it’s a combination of all these odd ingredients that make it seem like an added flavor? The cardamom, cocoa, fenugreek and licorice. It tastes like none of these flavors, unless they all combine into a new super flavor. To me I can only describe it as DESSERT but it’s such a unique dessert flavor. I wish I could try the cookie to compare! However, though this base is Ceylon, it doesn’t seem like the older weak Ceylon that B&B used. This is a stronger, tastier Ceylon. Both cups were very dark and flavorful so I’m very happy about the new Ceylon!!
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoon for a full mug // 18 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep

Mastress Alita

I’ve never had this B&B, but I do always keep some British “digestive biscuits” in my house to go with tea, hahahaha. I get the McVities ones! (The Scottish staple!) They are hard, flat, sweet wheat biscuit, and the ones I get are covered in dark chocolate (because who doesn’t love dark chocolate?) but I’ve seen milk chocolate and plain as well. There is this absolutely tiny section of my grocery store that has a few “British” things in it (I live in podunk Idaho and foreign cooking stuff is near impossible to find out here!) so I was shocked when I saw these. Now I buy a pack on every trip just in the hopes they’ll keep stocking them.

Evol Ving Ness

All y’all need to come to Canada. Chocolate digestives are in every local grocery and corner store. Really, this is not something easy to find in the States?

Mastress Alita

Oh, my friend in California could throw a stone and get foreign foods. But where I live in the middle of farm country in Idaho, foreign foods are nil impossible to find… it was EONS before even ONE green tea ice cream finally appeared in a local grocery, and that is my favorite thing in the world. I’m willing to pay the ridiculous price for it. >_>

tea-sipper

Yeah, I never heard of Chocolate Digestives until this tea. haha. I will have to intentionally look for them…. but I doubt I will find them in my store. There is no way I’ve seen green tea ice cream. I bet I’d love it though. :D There was a really weird fruit I’ve never seen before for $6. It must have been the foreign food of the week.

Thank you Cameron B. for the sample. :D

Quick note.

This was good but I didn’t taste any cocoa/chocolate though. It was more like caramel, maple, brown sugar, cookie/biscuit taste with cardamon. I thought the best part was the biscuit taste. ^^

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Cardamon, Cookie, Maple

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Tastes like cardamon with heavier notes to carry it. I can taste something else, but it all blends together in a way that makes it hard for me to decipher individual items. Cream knocks some of the cardamon out and brings out the other flavors a bit, but it still isn’t feeling like anything exciting. I don’t hate it, but I’m not excited by it either.

Home – 9:30 PM

I admit to being a bit confused by the ingredients in this tea. Cardamom? Licorice? Fenugreek? Isn’t a chocolate digestive just a rather plain round biscuit dipped in chocolate? I guess I don’t understand where the spices come in…

Steeped, it smells supremely biscuity, with a dark brown sugar caramel aroma.

Hmm… Well I do like it. There’s definitely good biscuit flavor, and a big dollop of caramel on top. But the cardamom is quite strong, and I don’t really understand the connection between it and chocolate biscuits… So that leaves me a bit confused. I also don’t really get any chocolate to speak of.

So I like it, but am also perplexed. LOL!

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butter, Caramel, Cardamon, Cookie, Sweet

Mastress Alita

I’m eating McVities Digestive biscuits with the dark chocolate on top right now…

Cameron B.

No cardamom in there, I expect? :P

Mastress Alita

Nope, like you say, it’s a classic flat wheat biscuit with dark chocolate on top. The classic Scottish brand to accompany a classic British cuppa.

This tea is absolute perfection, it’s like a biscuit in a mug. Both the leaves and the infusion smell like freshly baked biscuits, and all the ingredients are balanced masterfully.
I drink it with half a teaspoon of Stevia, and it’s the perfect guilty pleasure, just without guilt!

Flavors: Chocolate, Cookie, Spices

213/365

I bought this one a couple of orders ago, and intended to drink it while the weather was still cold. I didn’t get around to it for some reason, but last night was chilly and I’d had a bad day at work, so I was glad to be able to pull this one out and create some comfort in a mug.

My main reason for wanting to try this one (apart from the fact that I love chocolate digestives) was Bird & Blend’s latte recipe, which involves adding 1 tsp of hot chocolate powder to 150ml hot milk, along with 1 tsp honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla essence. I made the tea concentrate using 4 tsp of leaf in 200ml water, gave it 4 minutes, and then combined the two. The result is delightful. I did wonder whether the hot chocolate powder (I used Options Belgian Chocolate) would drown out the tea, but it seems not to. Instead, it adds an extra richness and amplifies the chocolate flavour, but it isn’t overpowering. Instead, they seem to work together pretty well. Or, more than pretty well, really. It’s a sweet, liquid-biscuit delight.

For the sake of objectivity, I’m trying this one on its own this morning (1 tsp in boiling water for 3m) as well; that’s how I know the tea wasn’t overpowered. The tea itself is like any chocolate tea, really; a little thin and watery tasting. You can tell it’s trying hard, but cocoa shells and cocoa nibs in water are never going to taste exactly like actual chocolate. What it really provides in spades is biscuit flavour, and I’m still not entirely sure how that is – some kind of magical tea alchemy? I feel like it has something to do with the fenugreek, but I can’t swear to it. One thing I will say is that although this blend contains liquorice, my nemesis, I can’t really taste it. Neither does it leave a throat-coating uber-sweet stickiness at the back of my throat, which is a real bonus.

On its own, this is a decent blend. It’s more biscuit than chocolate, but both are represented. As a latte, and especially with the added hot chocolate, honey, and vanilla it’s a real treat. I would buy more of this just so that I can continue making them, because it was that good.

Winner, winner!