Candy, Cocoa, Floral, Malt, Powdered Sugar, Sweet, Violet, Dark Chocolate, Vanilla, Creamy
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “I’m back! I have had the best week and really enjoyed my much needed holiday, but I did miss my tea while I was away. Still, sightseeing around London, seeing 10 shows in 6 days and meeting some...” Read full tasting note
  • “Flavouring. Never was anything so nondescript in ingredients as this word. And flavoring can contain who knows what. And you know what? I find that really annoying. Because allergies. And...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another B&B tea from the TTB! It tastes super strongly of violet. The black tea is all right. There’s not a lot of nuance here, mostly just floral flavor. It’s not my favorite sort of flavor...” Read full tasting note
  • “I found the bright base kind of lacklustre and meh (Sri Lankan/Ceylon black tea) but I did enjoy how much this one reminded me of a “chocolate” covered Turkish Delight candy bar (but a twist of...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

A chocolate box classic with a B&B twist. Sit back and relax with a nostalgic violet tea that will take you back to being at Grandma’s house.

Ingredients: Sri Lankan black tea, cocoa nibs, mallow flowers, flavouring.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I’m back! I have had the best week and really enjoyed my much needed holiday, but I did miss my tea while I was away. Still, sightseeing around London, seeing 10 shows in 6 days and meeting some very cool celebrities (including David Tennant and George Takei, who was an absolute sweetheart) didn’t leave me much time to drink tea! I have laughed, I have cried, I have gasped in amazement, and I have spent a lot of money that was not necessarily in the budget for the trip.

Soooo… about my no-buy. Here’s the thing. I have been buying tea from Bird & Blend since their infancy, when they were a new company with a small online presence, no physical stores you could go to, and the orders were hand-packed by the founders/owners of the company themselves and sent out with little hand-written notes and hand-written stickers on the packets. You get the idea. It’s been nearly a decade since I placed my first order. Well… the company is doing fantastically well. Going from strength to strength, creating many new blends, employing a large staff and opening several brick and mortar stores. It’s fantastic to see! But being from the North East, there are none near me, and I haven’t had the chance to visit a store in person yet. So when I saw there was one only a single tube stop away from my hotel, I had to visit! I dragged my friends along and I was like a kid in a candy store, chatting to the staff and accidentally becoming a sales advisor and enabling other customers to pick up some of my favourites. My friend initially picked up 1 box of tea bags, and ended up leaving with a strainer and 10 small packets of loose leaf tea instead! So, it’s safe to say, I did some damage… My cupboard is now up 24 teas, but I don’t mind because I’m just so happy to have restocked on some old favourites and to have picked up some wishlist teas to try, including this one. I’m definitely going to have to work hard on my sipdowns now, though!

This was the first tea I made myself this afternoon when I arrived back home, picked at random from the pile of new teas, and it was a good choice! The scent of the dry leaf reminded my instantly of Parma Violets, a favourite childhood sweet of mine, and I was happy to find that this carried through to the sip. The front is all sweet powdery violet, and the creamy chocolate comes through at the back of the sip. I drank this cup plain, and found it sweet enough, but I bet with a pinch of sugar it would be very reminiscent of a violet cream chocolate. Yum.

Now to shamefully update my cupboard…

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
ashmanra

Whaaaaaaaat?!? That sounds like an amazing trip!

Kelmishka

Sounds like a lovely holiday — so many shows, wow!

Nattie

It was a great trip, I didn’t want to come home! I am a bit of a theatre nerd haha so was planning the next trip on the train home :’)

Martin Bednář

Well, that sounds like an awesome trip! I couldn’t stop myself and get some teas as well. Actually, I bought at least a pouch or a box when coming from a trip. Even I have a loads of tea at home.

Jen vB

That sounds like a fabulous trip! Shows, David Tennent and George Takei, and tea!

vallhallow

That sounds like such an amazing trip!! Did they try to recruit afterwards as sales advisor? ;)

Nattie

Martin – it’s really hard to resist, isn’t it?! I think it doesn’t count when you’re on holiday haha

Nattie

It was amazing, and I miss it already!!
Haha valhallow – I am genuinely considering it as a valid career move! :’)

Martin Bednář

It counts Nattie, I am sitting next to boxes of tea (as my cupboard is actually small), and I have no space left!
But how I could pass Basil&Lime tea in Romania?

Nattie

Oh dear! My new purchases don’t fit in my tea cupboard (which is actually a decorative suitcase) either. I think I’m going to have to instate a 1-in-1-out policy. That basil and lime tea does sound intriguing, though!

Martin Bednář

It is very aromatic; it’s sitting net to me on table, as the box is a bit creased and can’t be closed properly and I don’t want to ruin other teas with it.

Nattie

I guess you better drink it before it contaminates the rest, then! ;)

tea-sipper

Awesome trip, I’m glad you were able to visit a B&B store! I have also been a huge B&B fan since the days of their hand-sewn-with-thread samples! I have asked them if they would ever have a shop based in the US, but no, I think that is wishful thinking. I’m glad they are doing well enough in the UK anyway!

Nattie

tea-sipper – I was talking to the sales associate in the shop and she did say they have big expansion plans, so fingers crossed for you! I’m hoping they’ll open one up in the North East (where I live, at the total opposite end of the country to London) too.

tea-sipper

oooo expansion plans! I doubt it will be to the US but I’m hoping a B&B shop opens up in your area!

Flavouring. Never was anything so nondescript in ingredients as this word. And flavoring can contain who knows what. And you know what? I find that really annoying. Because allergies. And furthermore, did they actually taste violets before naming this? Or are they just…. Oh. OH. Okay. I don’t know what violets taste like, raw or otherwise, but somehow the name fits. It is creamy and floral. I know I was being really negative to start but the flavoring thing always gets me. But then I smelled it and I was like Well… now I have to try it. And here we are sitting with this nice creamy cup with woodsy undertones. It coats the mouth nicely.

Nattie

It’s named after the chocolate, but I do find this to taste like violets pretty accurately (:

Another B&B tea from the TTB! It tastes super strongly of violet. The black tea is all right. There’s not a lot of nuance here, mostly just floral flavor. It’s not my favorite sort of flavor profile, but it’s decent. I wish I tasted some cream. I didn’t get to finish the mug because my cat knocked it over on top of our whole d&d setup.

I found the bright base kind of lacklustre and meh (Sri Lankan/Ceylon black tea) but I did enjoy how much this one reminded me of a “chocolate” covered Turkish Delight candy bar (but a twist of violet instead of dusty rose). I think Big Turk is a Canadian candy bar but this tea does a good impression.

Thought it was satisfying with or without milk.

Flavors: Candy, Cocoa, Floral, Malt, Powdered Sugar, Sweet, Violet

Had a little teacup of this one yesterday afternoon. There was such a clear divide in the flavours to me as I sipped this. All chocolate in the top notes and front end of the sip and then really full force into the violet in the back end and finish. The chocolate is more of a chocolate liqueur note over actual milk chocolate, which is actually preferable for me. The best part is that sweet, sweet parma violet though. I fucking love violet teas and I think B&B really stepped up their floral tea game with this one.

2021 sipdown no. 125

Thanks Cameron for sending this my way!

This one is kind of like chewing a children’s grape Tylenol and chasing it with a piece of creamy dark chocolate behind it. No thanks.

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 14 OZ / 414 ML
Cameron B.

Ha ha ha, ew! I didn’t even try it because violet lol.

Courtney

Hahaha! I’d never had violet before (I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in any teas I’ve come across), but it was closer to rose than lavender, so not for me — though always happy to try new teas. :)

Shae

That’s a very specific description. I think I can actually taste it.

Courtney

Shae perhaps I should apologise haha!

Lexie Aleah

I agree with Shae I could practically taste your description of it. I feel like violet is one of those love-it-or-hate-it flavors for people. I’m on the love it side though. I love the Choward’s violet candies but my mom thinks they taste like soap.

I so wanted to love this, but it’s just not good. I sadly can’t taste any violet. It’s just a very chalky, artificial chocolate flavor.

Dustin

You are on a roll today with the floral creams!

Martin Bednář

Shame it didn’t worked well for you!

amandastory516

Dustin- It was definitely a floral cream kind of mood yesterday!
Martin- That’s okay! Just glad I got to try it.

I rarely post a review here that I did for Sororitea Sisters, because I figure I already wrote it a while back and not today, and I feel inept at posting them here! I don’t like to just do the link because then the people reading have to work too hard, clicking a link and going to another page and all. Ha ha! But this was a gift from Martin Bednar so I wanted to post it! I just copy/pasted so you don’t have to click a link! I will include the link anyway, but here it is!

A friend sent some samples for me to try from far across the sea! This is my first time drinking Bird and Blend as far as I recall, and this is the B&B tea I was most excited to try! I generally enjoy floral teas very much and violet seems so exotic as violet flavored things are rare where I live.

I am “one of those people” who likes violet candy. The first one I tried was very strong and I didn’t like it. It felt like I ate a bath bomb. But then I somehow missed that flavor. I tried another brand and I don’t know if it was milder or sweeter or if I just developed a taste for it, but I could eat a whole pack in one sitting if I didn’t use restraint. (I don’t, by the way, always use restraint.)

I was so madly excited to try this that I took out my most foofoo china and sat at the dining table with pink camellias in front of me in a silverplate gravy boat and fetched a fancy cookie. I am going for the whole experience here.

Mmmmm, the aroma is divine! This is a soft, sweet violet and somehow like sniffing a very fine, delicate talcum, in the best sort of way. The scent is very dreamy and creamy. It doesn’t assault my senses like cheap bubble bath.

I did not get a strong chocolate aroma, but I have never had chocolate covered violets, so maybe this is spot on. In fact, I wondered where the chocolate was. It seemed to actually smell of cream, not just have a creamy mouthfeel.

The chocolate part of this blend is (hallelujah!) cocoa nibs instead of chocolate flavoring. I dug through my infuser basket and found a nib and ate it. Ah, yes, this is what I thought was the cream. Sometimes cream is really just vanilla added to a blend, but this was legitimately creamy tasting and smelling and now I see it somehow came from the cocoa nibs!

All in all, a wonderful elevenses today and this is a blend I would definitely purchase.

White Antlers

I’m guessing you’ve eaten Choward’s Violet Candy? That’s the only one I’ve ever tried and while it has an odd taste, it’s addictive.

ashmanra

YES! I LOVE them. And the guava candies, too. They are potent! Ha ha! My daughter bought some for my stocking and hid them in her room. She says her bedroom may never smell the same.

Martin Bednář

At least I know what to look for when being in the US (among thousands of other items). Haha!

White Antlers

Martin Choward’s Violet Candy is British so if you have tea friends in the U.K., I bet they’d gladly send you some. Still, add them to your “I will buy this in America” (long) list. : )

Dustin

I’ve never had chocolate covered violets before, only sugar coated ones. The violet pastels are good too if you don’t mind an anise seed in the middle. They are called Les Anis de Flavigny Violet Flavored Anise Candy.

Izzy? Next time! Hahaha!

ashmanra

White Antlers: I thought they were British too but I looked them up and they are actually based in New York!

ashmanra

I think Parma Violets are British, though.

Kawaii433

“It felt like I ate a bath bomb.” hehehe Ashmanra

White Antlers

ashmanra Ha! Thanks; I stand corrected and yes, Parma IS a British company. So, Martin, perhaps Izzy can send you some Parma Violets!

White Antlers

Dustin those pastilles are a spin off of comfits. Comfits go back a few centuries (16th century, I think) and were originally caraway seed based and eaten as carminitative ‘medicine’ at the end of a heavy meal to help digestion and prevent gas.

Dustin

Well I learned a new word today! I love the Indian sugar coated fennel seed candies too, which you just taught me are comfits! Also, caraway aids in digestion?! Didn’t know that either.

Lexie Aleah

Chowards Violet candies are delicious indeed!

I wanted so much to do a SIPDOWN, but couldn’t decided which flavoured tea I would like to drink, so I made a line of them, counted them and let the random.org choose a tea for me. If I was clever enough to don’t include the new teas… I would not open tea from AUGUST 2020 subscription

So yeah, I am having a fresh new tea, so new, it isn’t on their website yet.

Opened the pouch and something familiar hit my nose. I found out bit later it is dark chocolate covered violets with vanilla notes. They have this line on their pouch and it is exactly that I think. Dark chocolate with strong violet aroma. Vanilla not that much. Typical set-up; DIY tea bags (need to buy new box (100 pcs)), two teaspoons, 300 ml cup.

Steeped for recommended 4 minutes and well, cloudy copper brew appeared. I probably overleafed it or steeped for long as, well, it is quite bitter with vanilla aroma. And cocoa aftertaste. It is as well somehow floral from violets and all the tastes/aromas are fighting each other what should be the most present and best for tea.

But as it cools down, it has specific flavour, which is nice! It reminds me some floral Darjeelings a bit (but not that smooth). I think I will try it again with shorter steeping. Or less leaf? I am just sad there is no violets in, instead there are mallow flowers. Probably cheaper?

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Floral, Vanilla, Violet

Teatotaler

Sounds like a tea that I would really like, Martin. I believe I’ll have to place an order for this when it becomes available on their website. If this tea reminds you at all of a floral Darjeeling, my favorite kind of tea, I know I’ll enjoy it!

Martin Bednář

It is unique tea flavour. There were hints of floral, then hints of cocoa, some vanilla. I don’t really undestand what I have drank :D

Hopefully you will enjoy that as well!

White Antlers

Wow. Sounds like a lot going on in that tea! From an herbal/medicinal perspective, violets are good pain relievers, as one of their components is salicylic acid, also found in aspirin. Since you saw no violets, Martin, I wonder if it was only violet flavoring that was used?

gmathis

I need to do the randomizer trick to get rid of some of my old stock. Good idea!

Mastress Alita

I tried Violet tea for the first time recently and fell in love! Shame this wasn’t out yet when B&B had their “Christmas in July” sale and I made an order when they had free International Shipping, or I definitely would’ve picked some up!

Martin Bednář

White Antlers: It is indeed interesting tea. Yes, unfortuantely only flavouring is used as it is written in ingredients too. No violets.
gmathis: It keeps me avoid the choosing paralysis. There are so many teas I would like to drink after all.
Mastress Alita: Such a shame. I haven’t placed an order during “Christmas in July” though as well. I tempted, but then decided against. I have too many teas.

tea-sipper

Oh this one sounds amazing!
Mastress Alita – I’m so glad you were finally able to order some teas! :D

Mastress Alita

It was a special situation, tea-sipper… namely, free international shipping when I normally can’t order from them at all cause their shipping is just too much. :-P I also bought some tea for my house anniversary. I’ve made a total of four tea orders for the entire year so far.

tea-sipper

When B&B has free shipping it is almost impossible to resist. haha

Martin Bednář

For those who are interested: It’s ready for your orders! Available