Black Cask Bourbon

Alcohol, Ash, Char, Cherry, Peat, Smoke, Vanilla, Caramel, Wood, Tobacco
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 2 g 10 oz / 307 ml

• “I wanted to try this one, and lo and behold, a Target in FL had it. Trying it out, I don’t think the tea is nearly as balanced as other Harney and Son’s blends. They usually kick butt with their...” Read full tasting note
  • “Wowza. Thanks to Lexie Aleah, my eyes are wide open from the wood smoke vibes in this unique Harney & Sons variety. Perfect for a nippy morning. Burning damp leaves, wet wood, and as with any...” Read full tasting note
  • “I need to expand on this as I wasn’t paying much attention while drinking this since I was in a Zoom class. I remember liking it and thinking it certainly tasted better than the dry sachet smelled....” Read full tasting note
  • “There was enough to brew two cups in this sample from Shae, and the first attempt to brew some bourbon with tea leaves wasn’t that memorable. This morning was a different story, maybe I had a bit...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

With our new Black Cask Bourbon, we set out to combine the full body and intense aromas of black tea with the rich flavors of finely aged bourbon. The result is simple and stunning: prominent bourbon notes of vanilla and caramel and oak-cask layered atop a smokey base of black tea. Perfect for sipping slow and steady, as a bourbon should be.

Ingredients:

Black tea, lapsang souchong, bourbon flavor. Contains natural flavors.

Details: A bold, smoky black tea.
Dry Leaves: Dark black leaves
Liquor: Dark brown
Aroma: Smoky & sweet
Caffeine Level: Caffeinated
Body: Medium-bodied
Flavors: Peat and vanilla-oak
Brewing Time: 5
Brewing Temp: 212º

About Harney & Sons View company

I wanted to try this one, and lo and behold, a Target in FL had it. Trying it out, I don’t think the tea is nearly as balanced as other Harney and Son’s blends. They usually kick butt with their caramel flavors, but it’s overwhelmed by the Bourbon and the lapsang. I also don’t taste the vanilla. I personally would have picked a Wuyi Oolong to blend with the other Chinese black to make the tea smoother while keeping the smokey taste. It’s not as strong as other lapsangs-I think or guess it’s got some Keemum in it too-could be wrong.

I do enjoy this tea since I like booze flavored teas, but I am pretty disappointed with it and have had better Harney Teas and better bourbon teas. At least the tin is cool. I also think it would be a good for people wanting a non-alcoholic option.

Flavors: Alcohol, Ash, Char, Cherry, Peat, Smoke, Vanilla

Evol Ving Ness

Booo. Which caramel teas do they kick butt with, Daylon?

Daylon R Thomas

Paris. It’s not a caramel tea strictly, but they add it in the mix with the bergamot and other fruit flavors.

Hmm. Thanks!

CrowKettle

I forgot about the caramel-esque qualities of “Paris”. Miss that tea a little.

Lexie Aleah

I got my tin of this one from Target too but I liked this one! The tin is definitely pretty too!

Wowza. Thanks to Lexie Aleah, my eyes are wide open from the wood smoke vibes in this unique Harney & Sons variety. Perfect for a nippy morning. Burning damp leaves, wet wood, and as with any well-tended fire, the smoke dies down after a bit so that you can enjoy the brown sugar hidden at the end of each sip. Love the smoky aroma.

I’ve never been much of a lapsang fan, but if it was more like this, I might be. I’d probably never see the bottom of the tin of my own—this is a once-in-a-while instead of a daily drinker—but it was a treat to try it!

ashmanra

I was lukewarm about trying this but now I am ordering a sample! I like Lapsang so it sounds appealing.

Evol Ving Ness

This has been on my list—now, if I ever make peace with those that I’ve already ordered…

gmathis

It was all kinds of sensory fun!

I need to expand on this as I wasn’t paying much attention while drinking this since I was in a Zoom class. I remember liking it and thinking it certainly tasted better than the dry sachet smelled. It’s sweet and woody with a bit of booze. It’s somewhat smoky but pretty mild compared to straight lapsang souchong. I should make another tasting note while I’m actually paying close attention. I’m glad I ended up deciding to get the tin though! Also, each sachet is supposed to make a 16oz mug.

14 OZ / 414 ML

There was enough to brew two cups in this sample from Shae, and the first attempt to brew some bourbon with tea leaves wasn’t that memorable. This morning was a different story, maybe I had a bit more leaf to water ratio. The first steep seemed a bit weak at first, but as it cooled, some interesting boozy vanilla notes and a woody taste come through. It had a pleasant aftertaste, but not a smoky note as you would expect with Lapsang.

The second steep has much less vanilla, and more caramel bourbon with a booze bite. Still an enjoyable cup, and I’m puzzled as to why I didn’t like the first cup from the sample. I’m not sure I need to search out more of this tea, but I did enjoy the taste. Thanks Shae!

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla, Wood

Lexie Aleah

I was eyeing this one the other day when I noticed it at Target. I should probably look on the website for a sample size before I commit to a whole tin of it though. It sounds really good!

gmathis

At Target? No kidding? (I’m going to have to run by ours this weekend!)

ashmanra

I second that! Going to Target tomorrow!

Lexie Aleah

Hopefully, your Target has it in stock. Mine only had about 2-3 tins left.

A lighter and more enjoyable version of Lapsang Souchong, you can smell the ume. Definitely tastes smoky, but not sure about bourbon. It’s ok.

Flavors: Smoke

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

My second sipping of this. The first time I could not taste much. This time i did 2 tsp in a pot and let it steep longer. Definitely taste it now.

To me it’s not that good of a taste but I can see how it can appeal to some. WIth my recommendation, I put no, but it could be yes for a certain crowd. To me it reminds me of alcohol and tobacco. Those two aren’t bad in themselves with tea or other flavors, but this isn’t my favorite from Harney by far. I wouldn’t order again but it’s drinkable.

With my remaining I may mix it with other teas and experiment. I have a full tin left.

I still don’t taste any smoke or lapsang. It is strong - but I do not enjoy Harney’s Lapsang much, this isn’t what I’d call a smokey tea.

Flavors: Tobacco

6 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

Chemically smelling and tasting. This was not good. Disappointing, because I love bourbon.