English Breakfast

Assam Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea
Astringent, Autumn Leaf Pile, Bitter, Malt, Raisins, Tannic
Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “This is pretty mild for a breakfast blend, in my opinion. It’s a decent blend but not a wake you up type of tea. It’s a tea tea. Better than restaurant offerings but nothing to go out of my way...” Read full tasting note
  • “…I am a traitor. Since last week I started drinking smoothies in the morning – my boyfriend seems to think it’s a better “breakfast” than my morning tea. He is soo wrong. I can’t eat anything...” Read full tasting note
  • “Work – 12:00 PM This was a single individually-wrapped sachet from my desk drawer. It must have been a free sample from one of my past Kusmi orders. Love the bright orange wrapper! Hmm… This is...” Read full tasting note
  • “FYI, I checked Kusmi’s U.S. website today and found they had teabag, muslin sachet, and large and small tins of looseleaf tea for this variety for sale. No 3.5 oz loose bags. I’m going to get some,...” Read full tasting note

From Kusmi Tea

English Breakfast is a delicious blend of two black teas from India: a Ceylon tea with a rich, powerful flavour, and an Assam tea with a round, intense taste. This combination, with powerful tannins, will delight those who like full-bodied teas.

Ceylon black tea (75%), Assam black tea (25%)

About Kusmi Tea View company

This is pretty mild for a breakfast blend, in my opinion. It’s a decent blend but not a wake you up type of tea. It’s a tea tea. Better than restaurant offerings but nothing to go out of my way for.

I had it this afternoon for lunch with some Graham Cracker Snickerdoodles. It was a fine accompaniment. Not quite as good as milk, but it worked. :)

I do love Kusmi’s tins! So pretty.

And here is the recipe if anyone wants it: http://www.autumn-people.com/?p=8815

Ysaurella

the tins are sadly often the best thing with Kusmi teas…as you mention this one is probably too mild but their blends in general are often too mild…

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Graham cracker snicker doodles! Oh my!! :-)

ashmanra

I might make these for tea time Wednesday! They look delicious.

…I am a traitor.
Since last week I started drinking smoothies in the morning – my boyfriend seems to think it’s a better “breakfast” than my morning tea. He is soo wrong. I can’t eat anything before afternoon, It’s a family trait. I get sick and tired by eating too early. Like my father used to say:“It’s still in the middle of the night” at 08:00.

So this week I just walked around like a zombie to my classes. It may very well be that my better half get’s energy by breakfast (his stomach is like a acidlake 24 hours a day) but my stomach don’t work before 12:00.

I miss my morning tea!!!

sipping this tea is too smoked for afternoon…

Cofftea

I drink chai and matcha- both have food like qualities, especially since I add milk to my chai. Yay for tea for breakfast!:)

malomorgen

awww you poor thing. if you find right teas i bet you can make your bf start drinking teas too ;)

AmazonV

Aww :( can’t he have a smoothie and you a tea :(

Rijje

Cofftea – I actually considered trying matcha out =)
I am lacking calcium, so he is trying to pump me full of milk – maybe he’ll let me drink a milk based chai, that would be great!

Malomorgen, I very proud that my BF drink jasmine tea. I think it’s hilarious that he choosed to like such a flowery tea LOL

And Amazon, he drinks the smoothies with me… The only one he refuse to drink is the kiwiesmoothie… Maybe it’s because it’s green. (he fears new things like pest) He is one of the few people in Greenland, who never tried whaleskin. And he comes from a smalltown too! (This, is two very unlikely thing for a inuit in greenland. It’s unheard of!)

AmazonV

Oh no, a picky eater, my sister is a picky eater, it is hard to find things for them to enjoy eating with you

Luckily my boyfriend will eat anything, well almost. He tries all my teas when I make them.

Rijje

Amazon, you are just too lucky =)
My BF sticks to his jasmine tea like glue.

Cofftea

Matcha is soup like! Yeah I’m low on calcium myself, that’s why I have such a big cuppa every day- that way I get a full serving of milk in (I don’t drink milk otherwise). How about doing a blended iced tea beverage using double strength cold tea and equal parts frozen fruits? Yogurt can be added if needed, I just don’t like yogurt based smoothies.

malomorgen

Rijje check these out, they look yummy http://www.domatcha.com/recipes/

Cofftea

Oh yes! I mix OJ w/ matcha often (don’t layer it though, I shake it) or I make dreamsicle matcha- 1/2 milk and 1/2 OJ. Or to make it more icy in texture, freeze the OJ and make ice cubes then blend it.:)

Rijje

Oh I love all the options! Now I really need to order some matcha ;)

Work – 12:00 PM

Hmm… This is not all that flavorful. It’s not weak, but it’s rather one-dimensional. I do get some malt and briskness with a bit of raisin, which I assume is from the smaller Assam portion of the blend. Perhaps it’s the Ceylon that’s not tasting like much? I’m surprised that it has some astringency after just a 2.5-minute steep. There’s a hint of bitterness as well, though it’s not unpleasant.

Mostly it tastes generically tea-ish. Almost like the Lipton variety, but with a bit more flavor from the Assam. Meh!

Flavors: Astringent, Autumn Leaf Pile, Bitter, Malt, Raisins, Tannic

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 30 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

FYI, I checked Kusmi’s U.S. website today and found they had teabag, muslin sachet, and large and small tins of looseleaf tea for this variety for sale. No 3.5 oz loose bags. I’m going to get some, and review.

Not a fan… this has a taste, but it is a taste that I do not like. I’ve had great breakfast tea blends and I know that this is not among that list.

I’ve had two cups of this so far today, and while I admit that I’ve been at least a little distracted while drinking them, they’ve not actually made much of an impression on me. I used 1 tsp of leaf for each of my cups, and gave it around 3.5 minutes in boiling water. I added a splash of milk. The resulting cup is sweet and malty, but it doesn’t have much to it (and certainly no depth) besides that. Assam and Ceylon are two of my favourite black varieties, so that is a little disappointing to me. I know that they can have a lot of character of their own, and I know from other breakfast blends they usually work well together.

Sadly, I don’t think this is a tea I’d repurchase once I’ve finished my sample tin. There are much better breakfast blends out there, and this one is simply too bland and one-note for me.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Sipdown! I have been slacking so much on writing tea reviews. I drank this tin all the way without having a review. tsk tsk. The steep is a honey golden brown color. First, I love the packaging. It has a lot of detail and the color is orange, which I love! I always reuse tins and wrap them in colorful paper. Second, this tea is milder than any breakfast tea that I have had. This is more of an afternoon tea. It is good and bad. Good because I can drink this in the afternoon as well. Also good because I do not need to add any sweetener or milk to it. It is fine just on its own. Bad because I need to drink something to wake me up in the morning, especially since I am no longer a coffee drinker. The flavors are mild as well. All in all a decent tea. It has astringency to it but still drinkable like I said without the additives.