Framboise Chocolat

Black Fruit Blend
Berries, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Raspberry, Strawberry, Berry, Chocolate, Bitter, Candy, Dark Chocolate, Sweet, Astringent, Jam, Tart
Edit tea info Last updated by Signed, Jane

• “Been working mainly on sipdowns the last few days. Watching everyone’s reviews while drinking as much tea from my shelves as I can lol. Thought I’d take a break and try something new and this just...” Read full tasting note
  • “Does what it says on the tin! (And I literally mean “the tin,” since I couldn’t resist getting my recent lupicia.fr haul mostly all in those decorative tins where you choose the pretty label art)....” Read full tasting note
  • “Another sample from Cameron B! Thanks so much again! This one is particularly sad because I’m in love with this tea… and I have one teaspoon left. So sad. I’m very glad I was able to sample it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well this is unique. Raspberries and chocolate. This one was hard to figure out at first because I can’t read kanji and I thought, naw not raspberries it’s usually almost always strawberries. Both...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

A black tea with a wonderful harmony of raspberries and rich chocolate flavor.

About Lupicia View company

Been working mainly on sipdowns the last few days. Watching everyone’s reviews while drinking as much tea from my shelves as I can lol. Thought I’d take a break and try something new and this just arrived from the Lupicia’s HI store. Wouldn’t have bought it but it’s only available till the end of February. She said it won’t be back till next year. They shipped fast, got it in 5 or so days.

I put 6g (2 tsp) in 10 oz for 3 minutes (boiling water). It has dark cocoa, dark bittersweet notes. Lots of berries, raspberries, strawberries. Tart and sweet notes. It carries a little more chocolate flavor than the Maroon chocolate and a couple of the others. It may be the way I prepared it though. I like it. I’m glad I got it.

Flavors: Berries, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Raspberry, Strawberry

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 6 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
tea-sipper

Glad you like it after my ecstatic tasting note. haha

haha I re-read while sipping it too. :D

Mastress Alita

I’ll have to get this one next February, if I can get my space issues under control by then.

Kawaii433

Mastress Alita, when you get enough room, message me. I can send you some and the Theodor Milky oolong. I have quite a lot (i.e. too much I think) of both. lol

Does what it says on the tin! (And I literally mean “the tin,” since I couldn’t resist getting my recent lupicia.fr haul mostly all in those decorative tins where you choose the pretty label art). This is nice and dark chocolatey and distinctly raspberrish! Very straightforward. And quite tasty.

Yet. Yet. I have to finally admit something to myself. I’m not really a sincere chocolate fan. Like being “in love with love,” I’m always seduced by the idea of chocolate, but rarely borne away on wings of desire when the rubber hits the road. If I buy a fancy dark chocolate bar (I only like dark chocolate, and only if it’s fancy :P) it will last me … two or three months? Less, because my husband usually raids it at some point, but I just break off a small piece to have from time to time, and there’s no temptation to gobble. (And trust me, I can be quite the shameless gobbler.) It’s nice, but not compelling. If I have a choice between vanilla and chocolate ice cream? I always choose vanilla (especially if it’s fancy). I adore a piece of super moist chocolate cake … but, in fact, I must confess that if you offered me carrot cake as an option I would go with that instead.

Why do I say all this? Because I have to finally admit that as much as I am undeniably beguiled by all the chocolate-y tea descriptions, I rarely adore them. Because I’m just not that much of a chocolate lover. I love the descriptions, I love the idea, I love a tasty morsel of excellent chocolate every now and then, but I have to finally face up to the fact that it’s not that everyone else is not creating chocolate treats “just right” for me, it’s that I’m not a true lover of chocolate treats.

I think Lupicia has done a very good job with this, but it will last me a long time, like one of my fancy chocolate bars. I enjoyed it, but I’m not already awaiting / planning my next cup, like I do with my best favorites. I’m not going to rate this one (but just for me? I’d probably give it 70 — not a low score!) because I’m not the person it’s really meant for. if you love chocolate and raspberry, I think you will love this.

chocolate teas almost always fall flat. I’ve had maybe 2 in my life that actually feel decadent and rich like actual GOOD chocolate.

lizwykys

I will say that I was pretty impressed that (to me) it got the feeling of dark chocolate across; I feel like most other chocolate-featuring teas I’ve tried have been more cocoa-like. Also they tend to taste too watery to me, unless I use a LOT and usually pump it up on my own by making it more of a creamy latte dessert drink.

Oh Gosh. I want like a truck-full of this. lol

Cameron B.

I agree with Sil, chocolate teas are always disappointing for me!

Another sample from Cameron B! Thanks so much again! This one is particularly sad because I’m in love with this tea… and I have one teaspoon left. So sad. I’m very glad I was able to sample it though. So I was having this tea with raspberry jam this morning, so for a second there, I was having a Cameron moment from the past holidays with her jam advent. haha. Now, though I was also eating jam, this tea just TASTES like jam. The description says raspberry but it seems more like strawberry to me. I’ve loved plenty of Lupicia’s strawberry flavored teas, but they haven’t exactly tasted like strawberry jam before. I love the tiny flowers in the blend. I also love the darkness of the brew, though it doesn’t overpower the flavors. However, like a few other Lupicia teas that aren’t obviously chocolate for me, this one wasn’t either. But I love that strawberry jam flavor. It disappears slightly on the second steep, but more of a floral flavor appears, maybe from those tiny flowers? The second steep was a bit oversteeped… I should have made it like the first cup.
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoon for a full mug // 14 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 5 minutes after boiling // 3 1/2 minute steep

Cameron B.

Yasss jam advent calendar! I think this one was a Valentine’s Day limited release last year. It looks like they have it on the Japanese site, so not sure if the Hawaiian store would stock this as well as a seasonal release?

Mastress Alita

If Hawaii is going to be catering sales to the American market, they really need to put together at the very least an English-language website of what blends they have in stock in their store… >_>

Cameron B.

@Alita – I actually just emailed them asking something similar! So we’ll see if they have some sort of listing available.

lizwykys

I just received this today from the French site! Sadly, the delivery came late in the afternoon, so I was only able to try two of the teas so far, or risk zero sleep tonight. But I’ve scheduled this for my morning cuppa!

Oh lucky. I hope you like it. :D

Cameron B.

P.S. – I was just told by an employee at the Hawaii store that they will have this tea available starting in February!

Kawaii433

I bought a bunch (#HoardCity) from the HI store and received them yesterday so I can share. <3

tea-sipper

That would be amazing of you, but please not quite yet! You just recently sent me so many great teas. :D Also, it’s good to know ordering from the HI store will work.

Kawaii433

hehe ok, I completely understand! Just message me whenever you’re ready.

tea-sipper

Thank you thank you as always, for your offer. :D

Well this is unique. Raspberries and chocolate. This one was hard to figure out at first because I can’t read kanji and I thought, naw not raspberries it’s usually almost always strawberries. Both flavors are so mellow and yet so well balanced.

This is a very tasty black tea. There is a nice balance between the chocolate flavors and the berry flavors. It does not come off as tasting artificial at all. It is good.

I brewed this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper withi 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 minutes.

Flavors: Berry, Chocolate

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Uh oh. This is the 2nd tea I’ve tried in the last couple of days from Lupicia that I really like and will probably end up ordering more. LOL. Ahh well.

I don’t generally like chocolate teas…they tend to taste alot like watered down hot chocolate. But when I was looking over the list of teas on Lupicia’s website, this one really jumped out at me. And hot damn! Am I glad I went with it. (And considering my original list of teas would have put my order to over $200, I’m glad it survived the 2 revisions that I had to make.

The Raspberry in this tea, didn’t taste at all fake to me…though I’m not always good about picking that kind of thing out.

More Lupicia from Dexter! Chocolate and raspberry is definitely a flavor combination I can get behind. So, the base tea… To me, it looks like a mixture of small leaves and little CTC pellets (although they’re bigger than other CTC teas I’ve seen). Then there are the most itty bitty little white flower buds mixed in. I tried to look it up on Lupicia’s website to see if it described the base tea at all, but it’s no longer there! Oh well. Dry, it smells like mild cocoa with a lovely fresh raspberry note.

Hmm, steeped it smells like some kind of raspberry-flavored candy… The chocolate is there also, smelling lovely. Hm, I’m not a huge fan of the raspberry flavor here. It’s definitely raspberry-flavored something as opposed to actual raspberrries. The chocolate is that dark and somewhat bitter variety, which is fine since I added a sprinkle of raw sugar. Overall, this one is just okay, the raspberry flavor is mediocre and it’s the strongest flavor in the cup.

Flavors: Bitter, Candy, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Raspberry, Sweet

Lariel of Lórien

Is this discontinued?

Cameron B.

I guess so? It’s not on their website.

Thanks Dexter for letting me try this one! I’ve been experimenting with Lupicia teas and this was one I was interested in. (237)

It’s smells lightly like raspberry, but the flavouring is quite light. When I sip it, I taste the black base, then bright raspberry following by a little dark chocolate. It’s really quite muted though. I enjoy it but wish it were stronger, so I’m not sure I’d actually order this, not when I love the banane chocolat so much more. :) But now I know so I’m happy!

hhhmmmm. This isn’t what I was expecting. This isn’t very good. Fake candy raspberry with a hint of chocolate in the background. I haven’t had a ton of Lupicia tea, but of the few I’ve tried, this is by far the worst. Sort of out of character. This doesn’t taste like a Lupicia tea.
I can’t totally put my finger on it, but there is something else in here – nope will not reorder this one.
Re-evaluating my opinion of the raspberry chocolate bark I was drinking earlier…..

ifjuly

huh, interesting. i love raspberry chocolate bark precisely for the reason you don’t care for it, i think—how dark and relatively unsweet the chocolate is—and have been happy enough with it i haven’t really explored other raspberry teas. sounds like i may have dodged a bullet—if i’d been sniffing for one i’d probably try lupicia’s as normally i’m quite fond of their flavored teas.

Dexter

Yeah this one surprised me – I should like it, but I don’t. The rasp choco bark was better tonight than last night. I don’t think it’s a poor quality tea, the chocolate is just too dark for me.

Ew good to know. I’ve actually found i prefer lupicia’s flavoured puerhs and their oolongs….black teas are more hit or miss