Terrific Toffee

Butter, Cream, Honey, Sweet, Vanilla, Cake, Sugar, Caramel, Toffee
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

From T2

Terrific? What’s not to love about T2’s caramelly carnival of rapture in a cup. A winning combination of black tea, with nutty nougat makes for a toffee tea treat like no other. It’s a sweet pick-me-up to get you through a long afternoon, or a saintly alternative for sweet-toothed chocolate addicts. Lush just as it is, or add milk for an even creamier and dreamier brew.

Brew:1 teaspoon per 200mls. Brew 2 – 3 minutes in water at 100 degrees Celsius.

Serve: Hot.

Ingredients: Black tea, nougat bits (sugar, glycose syrup, almonds, honey, egg white, natural vanilla) and flavour. CONTAINS EGG AND NUTS (ALMOND)

Enjoy: With milk if desired.

About T2 View company

Sunday mornings are busy with getting the family ready for church, but tea is still a necessity. This was one of the teas that started me on the tea lover’s path. Made with milk and honey, it’s just a sweet, easy, no-thinking-required tea. But it’s actually been two or three weeks since I’ve had this one because I’ve been so involved with sampling new teas, primarily premium “straight” teas. So, sadly, this feels thin today. I’m enjoying it enough, but I suppose I can expect my senses to develop like this so that I kind of “grow out of” some of these teas. That definitely doesn’t mean that I won’t make it again. I could never discount a tea, especially an old favourite, because it just didn’t stand up on a single occasion!

Edited to add: Ok, it has been a little bit of time since I last made this. I obviously forgot how little milk I used to add. Fixed that on this last cup. Much better, can taste the tea more now, and back to not having to think about it. The way a Sunday morning should be.

Beautiful and subtle. First cup was made a little weak so be careful with the amount of milk.

So this tea really smells amazing. It smells like toffee but there is also almost a candied cherry smell lingering somewhere in there too. It also tastes quite like it smells which is definitely a good thing.

Its quite strong tasting, which is what i like in a sweet, creamy tasting tea. Im really enjoying this.

I’m down to my last scoop of Terrific Toffee, and can’t bring myself to use it. I prepare it with a dash of milk, preferably Vanilla Soy Milk, and a generous helping of honey, yet I find that it lacks depth. The toffee flavour is so subtle that it can be hard to pick up on it, yet like most flavoured black teas, if it is brewed for too long, the black tea will overpower the flavour anyway and can result in a bitter brew.

Trick or Treat! New month, new theme! For October, I will be sampling the sweeter side of my collection, which means all blends based on desserts, candies, sodas, or anything else sweet and unhealthy are up for grabs!

I made great headway on the T2 sampler stash last month, and only have a smallish handful of them left now. A few of the flavored blacks fit here, particularly the Creme Brulee and Terrific Toffee, so I decided to make the Terrific Toffee as my thermos tea to take to work (I’m slowly adapting to no longer having my tea brewing stuff at work… it’s certainly inconvenient, but worth it to not have tea with weird-tasting water that tastes metallic/of melted plastic. And the building services supervisor just thinks I’m crazy that I think it’s the outlet/wiring since, you know, I tried two working kettles that work fine when I use them on my outlets at home… SIGH. In other words, work’s stance seems to be, “There is coffee provided in the breakroom, what is the problem again…?”)

This is a properly sweet tea; it doesn’t really make me think of toffee or caramel, but it does have a nice flavor that I would say is a bit more on the buttery-sweet side, and I do find that very pleasant, since I really like buttery and creamy teas. The tea dissolves some little nougat bits (which include eggs and nuts, just a heads up to Vegans and those with nut allergies) to create a pretty distinct flavor. I’d say the main flavor notes I get are creamed honey, butter, and a sweet vanilla cream. The flavor it does create is very nice, but toffee? Toffee always strikes me more as caramel and burnt sugar/molasses notes, and I’m not getting any of that here. So it misses the mark a little on the name with me, but is a tasty dessert tea nonetheless.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Honey, Sweet, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 15 OZ / 450 ML

I don’t know if I steeped this for long enough (just over 3 minutes in 100C water); I could smell the vanilla and toffee but the flavours were muted upon drinking (dash of milk added after steeping). This tea is OK but there are others I would choose over this.

Flavors: Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

Thanks to MissB for this one a while back! This certainly tastes like something sweet on a light black tea. It is mostly a buttery toffee, or honey or SOMETHING sweet. Definitely one I’ll reach for when I want a sweet tea. Resteeps even better.

271/365

I first tried this one literally ages ago, but I remember being pretty impressed. When I placed an order with T2 a while back, I had to pick up a box based solely on the fading memory of that previous cup. Turns out it was a good decision, because this is absolutely a tea I can see myself finishing 100g of. No issues there.

I made today’s cup as a Toffee Brulee Latte, using a recipe from T2’s website. It combines 1.5 tsp of Creme Brulee (which wasn’t a favourite when I tried it alone…) and 2 tsp Teriffic Toffee, brewed in 150ml boiling water, and topped off with 250ml milk and 1 tsp honey. It’s actually really, really good – better than I expected. The Teriffic Toffee seems to make the most impact, with clear, prominent creamy nougat and caramelised sugar flavours. The Creme Brulee brings up the rear, adding some much-needed vanilla and a touch of extra sweetness. The milk stops it from crossing the line into crazy sweetness, augmenting the creaminess and toning everything else down just a little – enough to be pretty perfect, in my opinion!

My rating was for Teriffic Toffee alone, but I’m going to leave it as-is until I have chance to drink a straight cup again. I was pretty impressed with this combination, though – it made for a soothing, comforting latte which was just what I needed after another day at work.

Which brings me to the reason I needed comforting and soothing. Next week is my last week in my current job, and up until this point (I had to give 4 weeks notice) none of my managers had really acknowledged that it was happening – not that I expected them to, really, but you’d think it would be the human thing to do. Then, in the afternoon, I got an email from the senior manager – the head of department – saying she was surprised to hear I’d managed to get a new job since in her opinion I’m of no more than average ability and have no skills in either teamwork or cooperation. Plain, vindictive nastiness, basically – and totally untrue. I wouldn’t have been able to do this job for nearly five years without having those skills in abundance. It’s only reinforced my belief that leaving is exactly the right decision, but it bothered me a little. If they wanted to make my last week that much more miserable, then they surely managed it. Next Friday can’t come soon enough.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp
mrmopar

Just hold your head high when you leave. The only opinion you should worry about is that of yourself. The rest is irrelevant. You know you did your job and it is their loss.

eastkyteaguy

If I were you, I would find out who the senior manager reports to, pass the email along to them, and file a formal complaint. Heck, you could also just report it to HR. I know you only have a week left, but there is no excuse for treatment like that. What’s worse is that this manager insulted you in an email. If you are going to insult a subordinate, you never do it in writing. That’s just dumb because if you wanted to make it an issue, this person would be pretty much dead to rights, especially if any of your formal performance reviews contradicted the opinion expressed in the email. It could be treated as workplace bullying at that point. It is also worth nothing that they would also theoretically not be able to do anything about it or punish you in any way considering that you already have a new job lined up and have limited time left under their supervision. If making a stink about this seems unnecessary, you could also save the email and use it to rip this person in an exit interview. I’ve done similar things with two former managers who were extremely vindictive, and one ended up getting demoted over their treatment of me after I left. The bottom line is this: you are at a point where you do not have to put up with this sort of behavior, so don’t. Just my two cents.

__Morgana__

That person needs medication. Seriously. Great that you’re getting out of there!

Rosehips

Cripes! What a totally rude and petty thing to say. I’m glad you are getting out of there.

They were having a special at T2, so I got a 3.5 oz. package of Terrific Toffee for free when I purchased their Jade Mountain. Pretty nice giveaway, I’d say. Dry leaf smells sweet, not quite like pastry, not quite the caramel I expected, but more like cake. Yep, cake. How can you not love that? Brewed, and with milk, I get more of the creamy vanilla with a slight buttery taste. Butter cake! Or maybe yellow cake batter. The aroma is definitely like a vanilla cupcake. Quite yum. I have been known to oversteep my flavored blacks, and this one was no exception, but it was all good, no bitterness or bite at all. I even overleafed just a little bit (1.5 tsp per cup). I get the feeling if I played by the rules and brewed it according to the instructions, it would have been too weak. A very nice dessert tea (but I had this one with breakfast).

Flavors: Butter, Cake, Cream, Sugar, Vanilla

beelicious

LOVE Jade Mountain!

Amelia sent me this tea as part of my Christmas present, and it is AMAZING!!! So creamy, and it keeps me wide awake.

Flavors: Caramel, Toffee