Rum Raisin Biscotti

Alcohol, Brown Sugar, Raisins, Rum, Vanilla, Fruity, Metallic, Perfume, Smoke, Baked Bread, Sweet
Bulk
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

• “Sipdown (691)! This tea was the entire reason I picked up this Tea Forte sampler; I was just so incredibly stoked about the possibility of a good Rum & Raisin profile – I don’t know why but...” Read full tasting note
  • “Oh, I’m rather surprised by all the low ratings for this one. Not sure why it ended up a bit bitter since I used my family’s temperature controlled kettle and only brewed it a few minutes. After...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ok, this was a weird one. First time I tried it at home, and thought “omg, this is gross, gross”. I have the single steeps from a sampler, so I just took a couple to work to perhaps try again. At...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea tasted absolutely terrible! As others have commented despite the sweet smell, there were terrible notes of chemically alcohol, with an odd smokey note… it was reminiscent to getting a...” Read full tasting note

From Tea Forte

Fill your home with the intoxicating aroma of an old world biscotti bakery. A satisfying sophisticated steep of finest black tea with the taste of rum-soaked raisins and sweet blackberry leaves.

About Tea Forte View company

Sipdown (691)!

This tea was the entire reason I picked up this Tea Forte sampler; I was just so incredibly stoked about the possibility of a good Rum & Raisin profile – I don’t know why but I’ve been craving Rum & Raisin ice cream so much this summer…

Sadly I did not like the tea. To quickly summarize, it was a bit too much biscotti and not enough rum or raisin. Elaborating, though, it was just a sort of flat tasting black tea with more of a bready/baked goods type of note and a hint of cinnamon – with the barest possible hint of rum; no raisin. Also a little bit drying…

I think what I really wanted was more of a sweeter and creamier rum & raisin that truly matched the ice cream I was craving – and this just wasn’t that.

Kittenna

Sad, this sounds delicious. I think this would be a fantastic blend for an ice cream series of teas… maybe Anne could do something next summer!

Oh, I’m rather surprised by all the low ratings for this one.
Not sure why it ended up a bit bitter since I used my family’s temperature controlled kettle and only brewed it a few minutes. After it cooled completely, for some reason, my last few sips were free from bitterness. Weird. Anyway, this one is pretty good. It reminds me a lot of a Teavana tea I used to like, toasted nut brulee. But I feel this one is rather accurately named. The leaf has nice big raisins and flowers in it. The second steep is okay, but most of the flavor is gone except for the black tea. It’s difficult to point to specific flavors I taste in here – black tea, sweetness, and rum maybe, but I’d say it’s a fun desserty flavor that I wouldn’t mind having again occasionally.

Kittenna

I’ve noticed bitterness disappear in cooled teas on occasion. One, recently, was unbearably bitter hot/warm, but when I tried it again the next morning before going to toss it, it was fine. Very strange.

AJRimmer

Huh, now I’m wondering if instead of adding tons of milk and sugar, my usual method for combatting bitterness, I should just use patience instead. I’ll definitely have to experiment with various teas in the future!

Ok, this was a weird one. First time I tried it at home, and thought “omg, this is gross, gross”. I have the single steeps from a sampler, so I just took a couple to work to perhaps try again. At work, I have a tea forte kati cup (that I really love!!) I only need to use half of these “single steeps” for my liking—-ironically, they are made for single use, but I find a whole one way too strong in all I have tried. Also, at work, I use the “hot” water button from the water dispenser, so I have no idea the temp—hot enough to burn your tongue if not careful. This seems to be the perfect temp for these teas because they taste so much better at work in my kati cup—-so experimenting is good. I don’t even add sweetener like I do at home. It does have a strong alcohol and smell overall albeit a pretty good smell., but comes out to a cup of tea I don’t mind to make again, just maybe wouldn’t get again.

Flavors: Alcohol, Brown Sugar, Raisins, Rum, Vanilla

This tea tasted absolutely terrible! As others have commented despite the sweet smell, there were terrible notes of chemically alcohol, with an odd smokey note… it was reminiscent to getting a spritz of Pledge wood cleaner to the mouth.

I tried adding cream, I tried it cold- all in all it is just an absolutely terrible tea.

Flavors: Alcohol, Fruity, Metallic, Perfume, Smoke

0 OZ / 0 ML

Gah! This one actually smelled rather nice, like almonds and cookies and fruity – sort of a fruitcake scent, now that I think about it. There was even a bit of a floral fragrance. BUT the flavor was horrid! It had the biting sting of alcohol – I’m guessing that’s the “rum” flavoring – and really not much else. I rarely find a tea I cannot drink, but this was one. (NB, I’m only noting alcohol in the scent/taste box, because that flavor was so nasty I don’t really want to give the nice fragrance any credit.)

Flavors: Alcohol

Holy crap, it reeks of alcohol. Could be sweet and spiced and enjoyable without that, but can’t get over the smell/taste of alcohol. I guess they succeeded at getting that rum flavor across!

Flavors: Alcohol

Again this was a score from my $8 set from Chapter’s.

So far this is my second out of the box & I find they all have this similar off taste as they cool.
The initial taste is slightly rum like with a hint of raisin. There isn’t any biscotti taste, but it’s a decent tea. Not overly strong in flavour, ideally I would use twice the amount of leaves in these bags, but have been making smaller mugs to accommodate.
I wish that as these cooled that unpleasant taste wouldn’t be there, I’m not sure what’s causing it. I can’t finish the mugs because of it.

Jillian

Good to see that I’m not the only one who takes advantage of the end-of-season markdowns at Chapters. ;)

I forgot I had a few Tea Forte silken pyramids (I really love these sachets!) left over from Christmas. I decided to have one for my afternoon cup. I’m not terribly impressed iwth this one. It’s not in any way bad, but compared to the What-Cha Georgia Old Gentleman, this is sort of blah. One more thing out of the cabinet!

I picked this up as part of Tea Forte’s holiday gift set. The first time I tried it, I thought it was pretty weak but I was following TF’s guidelines to use 10 oz. of tea for a sample. When you use 8 oz. of water instead the teas tend to be more flavorful.

So, this does actually taste a lot like rum, it’s pretty boozy tasting overall. I would say the raisin flavor is also strong and the biscotti is something more in the background. I’m not sure how to rate this overall, it seems fairly true to the name but it isn’t something I would feel the need to have around in my personal stash. If you really want a tea that tastes like rum, this is a lot more authentic than the other one I had, which was Lupicia’s version.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I didn’t have high expectations for my tea forte birthday gifts since it has never been a top rated rand around here. But so far I haven’t been too dissaponted.

This wasn’t fanastic, but I who usually rates flavored teas shamefully low, can at least recommend that people give this one a try.

It smells good. The raisin/rum flavor is a bit overwhelming at first - almost perfume – like, but it mellowed while drinking. There’s also a bread-y flavor lingering in the background to give it its biscotti name.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Raisins, Rum