Curly Lion - Gold Bud Dian Hong Black

Apricot, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Creamy, Earth, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Caramel, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Leather, Wheat, Wood
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Swap Sample Sipdown! (35) This is one of several teabento samples that VariaTEA was kind enough to send me. Thank you! ❤ In my past tea life, dianhongs were some of my favorite teas, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “On the subject of travel-mugged teas… this one. Just not as good in a mug. I guess aroma is a big part of the flavour for this tea, and it just doesn’t work as well when you can’t smell the tea....” Read full tasting note
  • “This is definitely the better of the two teas I am having this morning. It is malty and bready and just the tiniest bit earthy at times while also having a note of cocoa at others. I am enjoying...” Read full tasting note
  • “work rant So I went in to work for a few hours today to try and not fall too far behind with fiscal year end coming. Who the hell changes the room rate market codes right before a 4 day weekend...” Read full tasting note

From teabento

滇红金芽
GOLD BUD DIAN HONG BLACK

One of the most beautiful teas we have ever seen! The buds are hand-picked from the very first harvest in early March and carefully processed into small lovely golden curls, which smell yeasty and bready. The bright reddish liquor is thick, with a bite, but still smooth. The taste is full of chocolate and malt with a slight tinge of honey. An amazing rare tea which every black tea lover should try.

About teabento View company

Swap Sample Sipdown! (35)

In my past tea life, dianhongs were some of my favorite teas, and especially the fuzzy golden ones. So this one is right up my alley! I love the animal associations with these teas, they’re so cute and this one is indeed golden as a lion’s mane. Plus the image of a lion with a curly mane is amusing to me… Perm gone wrong?

Yum, this is smooth and delicious. It has those lovely creamy, malty sweet potato and honeyed bread notes that I would expect from a golden dianhong. There are also some mellow earthy flavors that, for me, are a hallmark of Chinese black teas. On the lighter side, I taste fleeting notes of nectarine and fuzzy apricot, along with a clear and lingering sweetness.

Yummy, love it! I know I also have some unopened dianhong samples from TeaVivre, so it’ll be interesting to compare those with this experience and explore the style a little more.

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Creamy, Earth, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

On the subject of travel-mugged teas… this one. Just not as good in a mug. I guess aroma is a big part of the flavour for this tea, and it just doesn’t work as well when you can’t smell the tea. Still ok, but not the delicious beverage I was looking for.

This is definitely the better of the two teas I am having this morning. It is malty and bready and just the tiniest bit earthy at times while also having a note of cocoa at others. I am enjoying this one.

work rant
So I went in to work for a few hours today to try and not fall too far behind with fiscal year end coming. Who the hell changes the room rate market codes right before a 4 day weekend and doesn’t tell accounting? Where am I suppose to code these? You need to tell me how you want them entered into the management companies system, if you want your month end/year end reports to be correct. So yeah, I was there on my own time, on Christmas Eve just making up reports. I’m going to get shit on because this isn’t right, and it’s going to be a lot of work to move it to where they want them. Furious…….

So I’m home now, lying on the couch with my blankie, with a snuggly cat, hugging a mug of this tea. Yes, I’ve moved onto a mug. I’m not sure if I’ve just been drinking mediocre tea or if this is really good. Either way it is making me happy tonight.
As I was pouring this off the leaves, it just wafted up chocolate. It’s not tasting as chocolate as it smells, but there is some there. Sweet, chocolate, caramel, malt, starch (bread rather than yam) and just plain yumminess. This is a happy tea…..

VariaTEA

I think I have this…maybe I should try it. Also that sucks about work. I’m sorry that happened but best just to ignore it for now and enjoy your tea and blanket and cats :)

Evol Ving Ness

^ What she said. Go with the blankie, kitties, and happy tea. Ignore all that other stuff for now.

Maddy Barone

Holy moly. How infuriating. >:( I hope the tea and kitty snuggles have lifted your spirits.

Thank you, thank you, to Teabento for sending me a sample of this one! I’ve ripped through two cups of this and enjoyed its honey and gentle malty notes. I couldn’t find any chocolate notes either time. There was a surprise woodsy note that popped up as it would cool down but it was very faint. Apologies for the über short review as I’ve been really busy lately and I’m just writing from memory.

Beautiful golden mossy leaf.

I am steeping western style, my own variation of it.

Initially, the steeped tea felt a bit one dimensional, but as it cooled a bit, the maltiness and caramel and cocoa and breadiness came out in full. Lovely, just lovely. A very enjoyable cup. I look forward to the next one.

Third steep of caramel and sweet potato goodness and the tea is still going. It just might make a fourth steep flavourful enough to enjoy.

Thank you, teabento, for the sample of this engaging tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Cocoa

teabento

You’re welcome! I often have the same expierience: after the tea (not only this one) cools down, it taste fuller, richer and more complex.

Evol Ving Ness

Good thing I prefer teas once they have cooled down a bit or even further than just a bit. :)

Thank you to Tea Bento for the free sample.

Coldbrew: 350 mL, 1 tsp leaf, ~30 minutes

The dry leaf is gorgeous. It is made up of fuzzy orange curls. The leaves unroll beautifully once steeped. The prominant notes in the brew are typical of Dian Hong. Dark wet wood, raw cocoa, carob.

Flavors: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood

Iced 8 min or more

mmmm ok i’m a fan of this one. today it is malty, full of cocoa and just what i needed this afternoon as a pick me up between meetings. this one> golden fox imo though they’re both tasty.