Laoshan Badger - Laoshan Black

Edit tea info Last updated by teabento

• “Drinking another one from my teabento order tonight. his is ok – some bitter chocolate, some bread – tastes like a laoshan black should. But it’s still just ok, it tastes as it should but it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “Went for a tea party at a friend’s house and I got her a bunch of green teas (And a few oolongs and blacks) from Tea Bento for Christmas. Anyway, we steeped all of her teas (10 total) in my small...” Read full tasting note
  • “mmm this one is tasty but it’s my least favourite of the 4. It’s smooth, there are cocoa-y notes in the background and it’s an enjoyable cup…but it’s not as LB as i want it to be.” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you to Teabento for providing a generous sample in my parcel! This was a lot lighter than I would have expected. Almost crystalline in comparison to what I’m used when it comes to LB. By...” Read full tasting note

From teabento

A delicious black tea from Laoshan, hand made by the tea farmer who also produced our wonderful LAOSHAN BAT. The dry leaves are small and tippy, have a smell of dark chocolate, with a touch of raisin and a nutty scent. The golden yellow liquor has a smooth, gentle, sweet taste with notes of cocoa, grain and a slightly floral scent. A great choice for your daily cup.

>> To find this tea at: https://teabento.com/en/product/laoshan-badger/

About teabento View company

Drinking another one from my teabento order tonight. his is ok – some bitter chocolate, some bread – tastes like a laoshan black should. But it’s still just ok, it tastes as it should but it’s still a little flat or not as bold as it should be or something. There are better laoshan blacks out there.

My boss gave me a cute little cup with infuser as a Christmas gift. I like it but the holes in the infuser let some of the smaller leaves through.

eastkyteaguy

I absolutely love that mug. It’s too cute for words!

Evol Ving Ness

Beautiful mug though. The boss definitely has your number.

Went for a tea party at a friend’s house and I got her a bunch of green teas (And a few oolongs and blacks) from Tea Bento for Christmas. Anyway, we steeped all of her teas (10 total) in my small green tea pot (350 mL). 78-80 deg. C water, ~1-2 tsp leaf, 30 seconds to 1 minute depending of the tea.

My friend found this tea fruity, flavours of chocolate.

I noted this has a lot of cocoa/bittersweet chocolate flavour but also roasted leathery flavours. Malt, baked bread, and roasted barley also. I’m not really huge into the leather notes, but I love the chocolate.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Fruity, Leather, Malt, Roasted, Roasted Barley

Dexter

So YS Classic wins the LB battle? I understand that you really like some of the others but they don’t seem like LB to you. So when buying in volume as the LB to keep in your cupboard would you choose YS classic? Verdant? or something else? I’m just curious…..

Haha so it’s kinda weird…..depending on the harvest, yes it’d probably be YS most instances because of the cost. Ie. in a good harvest year, even if it’s not perfect or if I might really love the taste of one of the others….I can’t justify the cost of picking up the other teas in such a large quantity. Classic 2016 was more LB than classic 2017. This year if they were all the same price I’d probably go with jiri horse. Last year, would have been YS. Not sure about verdant this year as I wasn’t able to pick any up.

Dexter

Awesome thank you

Largely related to value since in some cases this is like an every day always drinking tea…so I don’t want it to be super expensive

Thank you to Teabento for providing a generous sample in my parcel! This was a lot lighter than I would have expected. Almost crystalline in comparison to what I’m used when it comes to LB. By crystalline, I’m referring to the airy floral notes in here. There is only a faint dusting of cocoa mixed in with the grainy undertones in here.