Yunnan Gongfu Fragrant Black Tea

Apricot, Baked Bread, Honey, Molasses, Roasted nuts, Stonefruits, Sugarcane, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Toasty, Yams, Grapefruit, Honey Dew, Jam, Nuts, Almond, Flowers, Fruity, Lychee, Peach, Chocolate, Red Wine, Smooth, Rye, Toast, Freshly Cut Grass, Malt, Milk, Orchid, Pumpkin, Graham Cracker, Oats, Sweet, warm grass, Red Fruits
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

“Producing area: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan, China
Category: Dian hong black tea
Season: Spring tea
Dry leaves: Tippy plump leaves in tightly tired strip-type
Aroma: Smell faintly of flower and honey with a hint of fully-grown fruit
Liquor color: Colors of bright orange yellow
Mouthfeel: It tastes soft and mellow, having resemblance of ripe tea flavor
Tree species: Fengqing large leaf tea
Tea garden: Lida tea garden
Fermentation: Fully fermented tea
Caffeine: 40 mg / 237 ml
Storage: Keep this tea in an airtight container away from high temperature, sunlight, moisture and abnormal taste.
Shelf Life: 36 months

Description
Gong Fu fragrance black tea is a tasty spring tea with infusion-enduring taste. The first two infusions have soft, mellow mouthfeel with slight sugar cane sweetness in the throat and at the bottom of cup a hint of milky flavor remains. But from the third infusion it presents a flavor, reminiscent of raw pu-erh tea, helping produce saliva.

A good tea with excellent taste allows tea beginners to appreciate the smoothness of black tea and the astringency of raw pu-erh tea in one cup."

“In 2013, Lida garden got the organic certification and during the following 3 years of transitional period, tea production here was converted to the organic ways which meet the requirements of organic tea production and management.”

About Teavivre View company

Ooooh! Malt! Stonefruit! And lovely honeyed sweet potato earthy sweetness.

And a wee bit of harshness, gently softened by sweet potato, at the back of the throat at the tail end of the sip.

I am steeping this western style today. Well, perhaps not quite western. Sort of a combo of western and immersed in my Libre. Not quite grandpa style as I drain the steeped tea when it reaches a personal level of doneness. I must mention that I have the slightest trace of maple, as a result of yesterday’s flavoured tea lingering in my travel mug.

This is delicious and a most excellent start to my day. And a lovely continuation throughout the day as well.

Thank you, Angel, for the sample. Much appreciated.

Mastress Alita

Oh, I grabbed a sample of this one, too. Can’t wait to try it! Sound delicious!

The dry leaves are long and twisted with golden tips. The liquor is an orange-reddish color. It started off with the Yunnan black tea notes, the malt, baked bread, freshly baked bread, sweetness, particularly the sweet potatoes. Very nice smooth and mellow beginning, fragrant. The mouthfeel was soft, there was some honey, sugar-cane sweetness that traveled down my throat, lingering there. In the beginning, it was toasty, malty, sweet potatoes, wood, cocoa notes, and a couple of infusions down the road, there were some nutty notes.

As I continued through the infusions, stonefruits and dried fruits came out. In the end, it transformed into something different. It was complex, and it did remind me of an aged raw pu’er as some other reviews mentioned, perhaps because of the astringency but also because of the mouthfeel and throat-feel, new fruit notes.

For $9.90 for 3.5 oz, this is a bargain for such a good tea.

Gaiwan, 194°F, 110ml, 8 steeps: rinse, 5s, 7s, 9s, 12s, 18s, 28s, 35s, 45s (I kind of sorta followed TeaVivre recommendation. I lost it at the end though lol).

Flavors: Apricot, Baked Bread, Honey, Molasses, Roasted nuts, Stonefruits, Sugarcane, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Toasty, Yams

Yes yes yes. This tea.

Kawaii433

You described it perfectly in your review, ashmanra :D.

tperez

I really liked that one too! I think it’s the best of Teavivre’s Yunnan blacks

Kawaii433

tperez, I am glad I finally got to try it :D. I think their tea is underrated. I suppose because they are also loved for their teaware,

ashmanra

Thank you, Kawaii433. I have a deep love for Teavivre!

Nice smooth taste, sweet aftertaste

Flavors: Baked Bread

195 °F / 90 °C 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

tea from today and a sipdown. Day 1 on my own today so i wanted a straight black to kick off my day earlier. Figured i might as well try to make progress on my cupboard so that eventually i’ll have no teas and HAVE to order some haha. Still think this one is relatively uninspiring, but a decent enough cup.

Final Count: 30

Kittenna

I hope today went well for you!

it did, now i’m hoping for a repeat…though mornings are always super rough. getting up at 2 or 3 and then again at 4 or 5 and then again at 6 or 7 for the rest of the day is painful. Especially since Ian is not to helpful in the am until he’s had coffee haha

Evol Ving Ness

Oh boy, Sil, we are rooting for you in this endurance test.

I assume at this stage of the game you can brew a pot. Yunnan Gongfu tastes much like a Darjeeling, fruity the first few brews with tones of mango and later honeydew and grapefruit in the finish. Successive brews calm to a more subtle cup- assam like in character.

Flavors: Grapefruit, Honey Dew, Jam, Nuts

200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 15 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea is very fragrant, especially during the first two steepings. The aroma of tropical fruit, lychee, flowers, peaches. The color is very satisfying: deep amber.

The taste is quite mild and largely follows the nose. I somehow expected a bolder taste. Make sure not oversteep it since it acquires the rougher bitterness that crowds out milder floral notes. In the third steeping and later the floral notes are largely replaced with apricot, honey, and almond.

It is a very forgiving tea and comes out well in a gaiwan, grandpa style or the typical western method. I came to like it as a daily drinker because what eslse do you need for that but a tea that fragrant, good tasting, not harsh and goes well with almost any kind of mood? It has been growing on me steadily.

I will add it to the beloved keemun hao ya as my daily staple. It has the same robustness and is perfect as a morning tea. Will certainly order again.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Flowers, Fruity, Honey, Lychee, Peach

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 45 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

Many years ago, I had such enormous faith in the quality of music by The Beatles (still my all-time favorite band), that I would buy their new record albums (the vinyl kind) before I heard any of the songs. I was never disappointed. I always loved every track on every album.

During the last six years, I have grown to have the same confidence in teas by Teavivre. I’ve tried a lot of their teas and I don’t remember ever being disappointed. So, for the first time, I actually bought a pound of this Yunnan Gongfu Fragrant Black Tea without seeing, smelling, or tasting it. My wife expressed skepticism and astonishment when I told her I sent our hard earned money all the way to China for a whole pound of a product I never even sampled! I gently assured my more sensible half that she need not worry. I know what I’m doing (I hope).

When the pound arrived, it was shipped and packaged in five 3.5-ounce silver zip bags. So, it is in reality a total of 17.5 ounces- more than a pound. I decided not to convey this fact to my sweet spouse just yet.

After consolidating the five bags into one tall metal container, I noticed the sweet and fragrant aroma (hence its name) of the long black leaves with golden accompaniments. The smell was like honey and chocolate.

I steeped the leaves for five minutes at 195 degrees. These settings were within Teavivre’s recommended brewing range. The resulting liquor was a deep amber color. The aroma was sweet like honey.

As I hopefully and optimistically took my first small sips, my palate was flooded with the sensations of honey and chocolate. These flavors were perfectly blended and the entire experience was smooth as silk with no astringency lurking under the covers. Through my entire first and second cups, the very pleasant tastes remained consistent, smooth, and steady. The aftertaste was light and amiable. It seemed to softly dangle on my tongue until it tenderly dissipated.

I am very pleased (and relieved) to report that this is another exquisite tea from the folks at Teavivre which I highly recommend. If you like sweet, smooth, and full-bodied black teas (and who doesn’t?), you will love this one. Now I will tell my wife how brilliant her husband is to purchase 17.5 ounces of this terrific tea! ;-)

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey

ashmanra

I read this through like it was a thriller! Is the tea good? Does Stoo live? LOL I am glad this story had a happy ending!

Stoo

LOL. Thanks for your comment, ashmanra! When I told my wife I really liked the tea and THEN told her I had actually purchased 17.5 ounces of it, she let me live. My tea and I happily rode off into the sunset together. LOL.

That’s the best!

Bluegreen

What a great description. I am also the lifelong fan of the Beatles who was also excited (and never disappointed) by their albums – including the singles their sung in German and the discarded studio takes. And I have the same trust in Teavivre. I guess good tea and Beatles go together well.

Stoo

Thanks for your comment, Bluegreen! The Beatles will always be my favorite band and Teavivre, in just six years of operation, has built a phenomenal catalog of fantastic teas!

A sample from Teavivre. I’ve been excited to try this one for a while, since Yunnan teas are a favourite of mine. Somehow, though, I’ve just never got around to it. Call it life, maybe. Today is as good a day as any, besides.

I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 3 minutes in almost-boiling water. The scent is malt and honey with a hint of chocolate, and the taste is similar – it’s always nice to find a tea that lives up to its scent! The initial sip is brown sugar and malt, but a dark chocolate flavour develops in the mid-sip and lingers nicely. It’s super-smooth, with absolutely no bitterness or astringency. I’ll be resteeping this one!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Here’s Hoping TTB

What a fantastic start to my tea box sampling adventure! The flavor is sweet and fruity (almost wine-like) and the mouthfeel is silky smooth, reminding me of an oolong. Love!

Flavors: Fruity, Red Wine, Smooth, Sweet

Sampled from the Here’s Hoping TTB.

Had a gongfu session with a porcelain gaiwan. Gave the leaf a quick rinse. Followed the website’s instructions: 5 seconds, 7, 9, 12, 18, 28, 28, etc.

Not only is the leaf richly aromatic all around, but the aroma is intriguingly complex. The dry leaf has notes of molasses, brown, sugar, sweet potato, and a bit of malt. Sitting in the pre-heated gaiwan, the leaf aroma then becomes sour and sweet – like raisins and cranberries – and also has a fragrance of freshly baked bread. The wet leaf aroma is similar, smelling of fresh cranberry muffins.

The liquor is bright golden-orange, clear, and medium-bodied. While the aroma of the Dian Hong is complex, the taste is much simpler. The flavors do evolve with a gongfu session, but each infusion yields an uncomplicated brew. The first cup is light in flavor, with the sour cranberry note making an appearance. Beginning with the second cup, the flavors are more developed. The second tastes purely of sweet potato. The third and fourth are creamy in texture, bread-like, woody, and sweet potato-like. With cups five through seven, the flavors undergo a drastic change. This Dian Hong shifts from classic sweet potato to a sweet/fruity hongcha. The aftertaste, throughout the session, is very short-lived.

I recommend this to hongcha/Dian Hong lovers and especially beginners to hongcha. As someone who probably appreciates aroma more than taste, I loved this. But since I also evaluate taste by similar weight, I found this to be alright – not spectacular. It’s easy-going. I did enjoy what I had, though I wouldn’t purchase. To more experienced drinkers, this might suit your fancy more than mine.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML