Yunnan Gongfu Fragrant Black Tea

Almond, Apricot, Flowers, Fruity, Honey, Lychee, Peach, Chocolate, Red Wine, Smooth, Sweet, Rye, Toast, Baked Bread, Freshly Cut Grass, Malt, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Milk, Molasses, Orchid, Pumpkin, Graham Cracker, Oats, Sweet, warm grass, Yams, Red Fruits
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This tea is very fragrant, especially during the first two steepings. The aroma of tropical fruit, lychee, flowers, peaches. The color is very satisfying: deep amber. The taste is quite mild and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Many years ago, I had such enormous faith in the quality of music by The Beatles (still my all-time favorite band), that I would buy their new record albums (the vinyl kind) before I heard any of...” Read full tasting note
  • “A sample from Teavivre. I’ve been excited to try this one for a while, since Yunnan teas are a favourite of mine. Somehow, though, I’ve just never got around to it. Call it life, maybe. Today is as...” Read full tasting note
  • “Here’s Hoping TTB What a fantastic start to my tea box sampling adventure! The flavor is sweet and fruity (almost wine-like) and the mouthfeel is silky smooth, reminding me of an oolong. Love!” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

“Producing area: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan, China
Category: Dian hong black tea
Season: Spring tea
Dry leaves: Tippy plump leaves in tightly tired strip-type
Aroma: Smell faintly of flower and honey with a hint of fully-grown fruit
Liquor color: Colors of bright orange yellow
Mouthfeel: It tastes soft and mellow, having resemblance of ripe tea flavor
Tree species: Fengqing large leaf tea
Tea garden: Lida tea garden
Fermentation: Fully fermented tea
Caffeine: 40 mg / 237 ml
Storage: Keep this tea in an airtight container away from high temperature, sunlight, moisture and abnormal taste.
Shelf Life: 36 months

Description
Gong Fu fragrance black tea is a tasty spring tea with infusion-enduring taste. The first two infusions have soft, mellow mouthfeel with slight sugar cane sweetness in the throat and at the bottom of cup a hint of milky flavor remains. But from the third infusion it presents a flavor, reminiscent of raw pu-erh tea, helping produce saliva.

A good tea with excellent taste allows tea beginners to appreciate the smoothness of black tea and the astringency of raw pu-erh tea in one cup."

“In 2013, Lida garden got the organic certification and during the following 3 years of transitional period, tea production here was converted to the organic ways which meet the requirements of organic tea production and management.”

About Teavivre View company

The taste is quite mild and largely follows the nose. I somehow expected a bolder taste. Make sure not oversteep it since it acquires the rougher bitterness that crowds out milder floral notes. In the third steeping and later the floral notes are largely replaced with apricot, honey, and almond.

It is a very forgiving tea and comes out well in a gaiwan, grandpa style or the typical western method. I came to like it as a daily drinker because what eslse do you need for that but a tea that fragrant, good tasting, not harsh and goes well with almost any kind of mood? It has been growing on me steadily.

I will add it to the beloved keemun hao ya (and maybe da hong pao – need to drink it for longer) as my daily staple. Will certainly order again.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Flowers, Fruity, Honey, Lychee, Peach

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 45 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

Many years ago, I had such enormous faith in the quality of music by The Beatles (still my all-time favorite band), that I would buy their new record albums (the vinyl kind) before I heard any of the songs. I was never disappointed. I always loved every track on every album.

During the last six years, I have grown to have the same confidence in teas by Teavivre. I’ve tried a lot of their teas and I don’t remember ever being disappointed. So, for the first time, I actually bought a pound of this Yunnan Gongfu Fragrant Black Tea without seeing, smelling, or tasting it. My wife expressed skepticism and astonishment when I told her I sent our hard earned money all the way to China for a whole pound of a product I never even sampled! I gently assured my more sensible half that she need not worry. I know what I’m doing (I hope).

When the pound arrived, it was shipped and packaged in five 3.5-ounce silver zip bags. So, it is in reality a total of 17.5 ounces- more than a pound. I decided not to convey this fact to my sweet spouse just yet.

After consolidating the five bags into one tall metal container, I noticed the sweet and fragrant aroma (hence its name) of the long black leaves with golden accompaniments. The smell was like honey and chocolate.

I steeped the leaves for five minutes at 195 degrees. These settings were within Teavivre’s recommended brewing range. The resulting liquor was a deep amber color. The aroma was sweet like honey.

As I hopefully and optimistically took my first small sips, my palate was flooded with the sensations of honey and chocolate. These flavors were perfectly blended and the entire experience was smooth as silk with no astringency lurking under the covers. Through my entire first and second cups, the very pleasant tastes remained consistent, smooth, and steady. The aftertaste was light and amiable. It seemed to softly dangle on my tongue until it tenderly dissipated.

I am very pleased (and relieved) to report that this is another exquisite tea from the folks at Teavivre which I highly recommend. If you like sweet, smooth, and full-bodied black teas (and who doesn’t?), you will love this one. Now I will tell my wife how brilliant her husband is to purchase 17.5 ounces of this terrific tea! ;-)

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey

ashmanra

I read this through like it was a thriller! Is the tea good? Does Stoo live? LOL I am glad this story had a happy ending!

Stoo

LOL. Thanks for your comment, ashmanra! When I told my wife I really liked the tea and THEN told her I had actually purchased 17.5 ounces of it, she let me live. My tea and I happily rode off into the sunset together. LOL.

ashmanra

That’s the best!

Bluegreen

What a great description. I am also the lifelong fan of the Beatles who was also excited (and never disappointed) by their albums – including the singles their sung in German and the discarded studio takes. And I have the same trust in Teavivre. I guess good tea and Beatles go together well.

Stoo

Thanks for your comment, Bluegreen! The Beatles will always be my favorite band and Teavivre, in just six years of operation, has built a phenomenal catalog of fantastic teas!

A sample from Teavivre. I’ve been excited to try this one for a while, since Yunnan teas are a favourite of mine. Somehow, though, I’ve just never got around to it. Call it life, maybe. Today is as good a day as any, besides.

I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 3 minutes in almost-boiling water. The scent is malt and honey with a hint of chocolate, and the taste is similar – it’s always nice to find a tea that lives up to its scent! The initial sip is brown sugar and malt, but a dark chocolate flavour develops in the mid-sip and lingers nicely. It’s super-smooth, with absolutely no bitterness or astringency. I’ll be resteeping this one!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Here’s Hoping TTB

Flavors: Fruity, Red Wine, Smooth, Sweet

Sampled from the Here’s Hoping TTB.

Had a gongfu session with a porcelain gaiwan. Gave the leaf a quick rinse. Followed the website’s instructions: 5 seconds, 7, 9, 12, 18, 28, 28, etc.

Not only is the leaf richly aromatic all around, but the aroma is intriguingly complex. The dry leaf has notes of molasses, brown, sugar, sweet potato, and a bit of malt. Sitting in the pre-heated gaiwan, the leaf aroma then becomes sour and sweet – like raisins and cranberries – and also has a fragrance of freshly baked bread. The wet leaf aroma is similar, smelling of fresh cranberry muffins.

The liquor is bright golden-orange, clear, and medium-bodied. While the aroma of the Dian Hong is complex, the taste is much simpler. The flavors do evolve with a gongfu session, but each infusion yields an uncomplicated brew. The first cup is light in flavor, with the sour cranberry note making an appearance. Beginning with the second cup, the flavors are more developed. The second tastes purely of sweet potato. The third and fourth are creamy in texture, bread-like, woody, and sweet potato-like. With cups five through seven, the flavors undergo a drastic change. This Dian Hong shifts from classic sweet potato to a sweet/fruity hongcha. The aftertaste, throughout the session, is very short-lived.

I recommend this to hongcha/Dian Hong lovers and especially beginners to hongcha. As someone who probably appreciates aroma more than taste, I loved this. But since I also evaluate taste by similar weight, I found this to be alright – not spectacular. It’s easy-going. I did enjoy what I had, though I wouldn’t purchase. To more experienced drinkers, this might suit your fancy more than mine.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

Dry leaf has aroma notes of licorice, chocolate, and fruit.

Brewed tea has a buttery aroma with fruit and musk-like notes. Muscatel and caramel sweetness on the sip. Medium to thin mouthfeel. Dark chocolate notes in the aftertaste.

I bought this earlier in the year and I’ve tried it a few times. However, I should have noticed the ‘gongfu’ in the name and realized that was where the magic would be. I don’t steep teas with the gongfu method, I use the western method. I’m sure this one would taste much different using gongfu. All of those wonderful reviews from others sure set the expectations high! The leaves here are very large and twisted with hints of gold. The dried leaves have the scent of lovely dried hay. The flavor is neither a light yunnan or a dark yunnan. It’s somewhere in the middle. The flavors are tough to describe, mostly bittersweet chocolate with hints of wine. I guess I like a honey Yunnan or a deep dark chocolate Yunnan. This one is in between both of those flavor profiles, so isn’t as special to me as other teas (again, probably because I’m not using the gongfu method of steeping.) I have plenty of other black teas I love from Teavivre though.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// 10 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // couple minutes after boiling // 4 minute steep
Harvest: 2015

Flavors: Chocolate, Red Wine

This tea has a toasted bread aroma and a nice sweetness to it. The tea is malty and tastes of rye bread. It is good but forgettable.

Flavors: Rye, Toast

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I have to apologize to Angel from Teavivre, I received these free samples over two months ago and I am just getting to them now.

As always Teavivre and Angel were so generous to offer to send me free tea samples, which I do greatly appreciate.

I did a kind of mixed gongfu and western style. Lala style I guess. Ha ha. I used the whole 7g package and steeped it for about 45 seconds.

The tea is sweet, thick, bready. There is no astringency or bitterness. It is somewhat malty. Very fresh tasting. This tea is very fragrant, definitely has a strong smell of roasted sweet potatoes. It is very distinctively Yunnan in its flavour.

It does get a tiny bit astringent as it cools, but not in a bad way.

Thanks again Angel!

Boiling 0 min, 45 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Thank you for the sample Teavivre!
This tea is certainly fragrant! It smells delicious, like sweet potatoes and brown sugar with a hint of cocoa.
The taste translates fairly well into the taste, but maybe a little milder than I expected. The cocoa notes aren’t as strong as I would have liked based on the taste but it is a lovely cuppa. The sweet potatoe/molasses notes last throughout the resteep as well.
I used the whole packet which was about 2T