Fujian Golden Monkey 'Jin Mao Hou' Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Baked Bread, Cherry, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Plums, Roasted, Rye, Smooth, Thick, Chocolate, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From What-Cha

A delightful black tea with a caramel nose and taste without any bitterness or astringency. Perfect for all times of the day.

Tasting Notes:
- Caramel nose
- Complex; caramel hints with delicate citrus finish
- No detectable bitterness or astringency

How It’s Made: One bud with one leaf

Origin: Fuan County, Fujian Province, East China

About What-Cha View company

Excellent!!!! I have tried many Golden Monkey tea, and my search is complete. This is the best I’ve tried. The Fujian region never disappoints me for tea. My favorite silver needle comes from here. As another one noted, this tea is the perfect everyday tea. But I will have to stretch it out until there’s more of this tea(What-cha is out of stock at the moment). It’s just tasty, slight malt, no astringency.

What-Cha

It’s great to read you enjoyed it so much and I’m pleased to report it is now finally back in stock :)

Smooth malt and a faint hint of caramel sweetness. This tea is simplistic in flavor, but pleasant, with a thick texture and no bitterness whatsoever.

MMmmmmmm this is why I love Fujian black teas. It’s fun, it’s malty, it’s starching, and there’s just a hint of chocolate. Not my favorite – my a really nice example of a Fujian black tea.
Thank you Sil for sharing.

This is the one I pulled out this morning (still haven’t unpacked the tea box; just stuck it in the cupboard for the time being) It was luscious and smooth and warming. It’s been a bit nippy in the mornings in my new garden level apartment, so tea is welcome. I think all this physical labor has worn me down. This morning I was yawning and dragging before my first hour at the day job was over. I needed a pick me up and this tea delivered.

donkeyteaarrrraugh

we must be running parallel lines somewhere….I just got my what-cha order today and this was in it!

Maddy Barone

LOL! I do enjoy the Golden Monkey teas. Or maybe it’s just Fujian teas I like. I have another Fujian from What-Cha. I can’t think of the name right now, but it’s great too.

A great everyday-any time black tea. Smooth, beautiful color. Good hot or cold!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 4 tsp 20 OZ / 591 ML

Happy weekend, everyone! I hope you all have fun weekend plans, I’m going to head to the Asian market today and then try my hand at making ramen. Excited! I felt like a nice smooth Chinese black tea this morning, so I plucked this little packet out of my pile of What-Cha samples. I’ve tried a couple of other Golden Monkey teas, but it’s been a few months and though I remember liking them, I don’t remember specifics about the taste. The leaves are medium-sized and rather thin and twisty, and they have that fragile, brittle look about them. They’re a dark chocolate brown in color with just a few golden tips included. Dry scent is quite roasted and has strong rye notes.

This is pretty yummy! It has a definite Fujian taste, with that rye bread and caraway seed flavor and strong roasted notes. It’s also very malty and smooth with a thick, silky mouthfeel. I can pick up a bit of unsweetened dark chocolate. However, the most interesting part of the sip is near the end, where an interesting fresh fruit note comes out. It reminds me of fresh, slightly tart cherries or plums. Yummy. :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cherry, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Malt, Plums, Roasted, Rye, Smooth, Thick

This is another tea that surprised me! But in a good way finally! XD
I picked up 50g of this tea in my first What-Cha order because I was sure I’d like it! Well I was finally right for once. xD
So the steeping aroma smelled pretty malty, which is always exciting!
When I began to drink, chocolate and cocoa notes emerged from the tea. And better yet, there was a soft undertone of sweet potatoes. All four amazing flavors in one!
I was honestly not expecting it to be that complex. I really enjoyed the layers of this tea. I really didn’t expect it at all.
It’s not very sweet, probably due to the chocolate, cocoa, and malt notes combined. But it still is quite nice. Really happy to have gotten 50g of this-definitely worth the money! :D

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

mmmmm sample from cookies so that i could try a few what-cha teas before i make a purchase. This one IS quite lovely as others have said. It’s malty and almost sweet but not quite. I didn’t get overly cocoa notes from this one, but there is a sense of that coming through in the background. Overall, i really nice cup of tea! thanks cookies!

Enjoying this tea now. I didn’t find this tea on the website so I suspect it’s sold out for this year. Hopefully they’ll get more of it with next year’s harvests.

Because this is FANTASTIC! I’ve had quite a few different Fujian black teas – I love them because of their chocolaty notes. This might just be the most chocolaty of all! I’ve had infusions of cacao shells and this tastes a lot like I infused cacao shells with the tea – I kid you not!

So, so, so good – I’ve had the opportunity to try quite a few different teas from What-Cha and this one might just be my favorite. This one is ahhh-mazing!

Glad you enjoyed it!

I just put it back on the website, had to remove it for a while as my previous website plan only allowed me to list 100 products.

I recently upgraded to plan which now allows me to list an unlimited amount of teas, must try to resist the temptation now of keep adding teas

LiberTEAS

Awesome! I will now do a full-length review of it for SororiTea Sisters. It will probably publish after the holidays though.

I love this tea. This is probably my current favorite black tea.

What-Cha

Wow, I’m equal parts proud to hear that you enjoyed it so much and embarrassed that I had removed it

i have a sample of this in a swap…looks like i’m going to try it tmrw haha

Anlina

Oh man, my What-Cha wish list just keeps growing. I want to try everything!