2016 A&P

Caramel, Chocolate, Fruity, Malt
Bulk
Edit tea info Last updated by Kornknarr

From White2Tea

The A&P is a pressed black tea, suitable for aging in the short term. Intentionally processed on the lighter side with traditional sun drying, this black tea has deeper chocolate flavors. This tea was a special commission for white2tea using large leaf Puer varietal.

Each cake is 100 grams

About White2Tea View company

My cake is long gone but so that I remember.

Black teas made with large leaf pu-erh varietals can be hit or miss for me but I did enjoy this nice malty leaf.

Just got to trying this w2t club offering. I think it was pretty tasty. The dry leaf had a raisin and malty aroma with a slight hint of chocolate. After a rinse, they smelled mostly malty and fruity.

Thankfully, I enjoyed this tea a lot more than the last w2t hong I tried. It started out sweet and malty with a slight hint of caramel. The next few steeps got stronger quickly, and picked up a pleasant chocolate note on the finish. The tea continued much the same for a few steeps before it started to drop off around steep 6. I still got a few more nice steeps out of it before I declared it dead.

I think the fact that I’m so behind on teaclub drinking is because of those two months in the spring/early summer that were back-to-back black tea. It’s really not my favorite category of tea, though most from the teaclub have been enjoyable. I have to decide now whether I want to keep this tea around and see what happens to a caked hong over the next few years or swap it off. I’m leaning towards swapping it. I know a few teafriends who are pretty hyped about this tea, so I might try to exchange it for something I more readily grab to toss in my gaiwan, like some sheng puerh. Definitely recommend this one if you’re a black tea fan, though!

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Fruity, Malt

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I’d be interested, though I’m not sure what all you would want from me. I have a bunch of sheng samples I barely drink, a Shui Xian and Milan Dan Cong from Berryleb, and a few other oolongs.

The weather has been so awesome the last couple days, I have been loving it! Previously this week it has been cool, mostly sunny, but cool…perfect windows open days. Yesterday the fun started, first with a bit of drizzles then intermittent storms, and then wow, last night was a storm party! Granted it was when I was trying to sleep, and I am pretty sure a tree up the road was lightninged into oblivion meaning very loud booms, but I don’t care. I will lose sleep anytime to storms! In fact it just finished another storm about half an hour ago, with more promised during the rest of the week, this makes me giddy!!

Today I am taking a look at White2Tea’s 2016 A&P, a Dianhong they included with the July teaclub (along with some killer sweet balls) which is conveniently also for sale in their shop for when I inevitably run out and need more. It is how I am with the deliriously tasty reds, they are addictive and I always need another fix, ALWAYS. Honestly I am tempted to get another cake to just put away for aging, since it was made from Lincang Puerh materials and sun-dried leaving it a bit raw meaning it should improve with a few years age on it.

Except for a few exceptions I love most my reds with a little age on them, usually I find any harsh notes will mellow out after a year or two…assuming they last that long around me. So after admiring this lovely dark cake in its pristine form I hacked a bit off for closer examination, with my nose.

Well hello there you chocolaty cake of goodness, it smells like the batter for the rich triple chocolate molasses cake I make when I am desperately craving chocolate, very sweet and thickly chocolate. There are also undertones of cooked plum, sandalwood, myrrh, and malt. Fun fact, when I first opened this bad boy up it smelled lightly of cocoa, a few weeks later the cocoa increased, and now in the middle of August when I am writing this it smells like a blasted cake! I think in a year it will gain sentience as the embodiment of chocolate, it is the only explanation.

So after a first steep the aroma is nothing short of oomph, it is a little bit malty and a touch nutty, but the strongest notes by far are sweet cocoa and woody sandalwood. The combination of this tea’s notes are mouthwatering, sandalwood is a great love of mine, like on a primal level…is this tea trying to seduce me? The liquid once free from its leafy restraints blend notes of creamy milk chocolate, peanuts, sandalwood, molasses, and caramelized brown sugar…it is like all the parts of a really tasty candy but separate, and with sandalwood. Yum.

So I make a show saying that I am not a social person which is why most my teaing is done in the privacy of my tea lair, but really I think it is because the noises that good tea elicit out of me are just not sociable, and I don’t like holding back! I have this same problem with food. This tea had that effect on me for sure, from the first sip I was dancing in my chair and making all sorts of happy noises. Starting with a thick mouth (this is a theme that will stick around) it is sweet, like the most perfect ripe cherry and plum exploding in my mouth with a fantastic chocolate shrapnel to the face. Then for the finish it is like someone gave me just the caramelized sugar top of a creme brulee, the aftertaste of brown sugar lingers for a while.

The aroma of the second steep ramps up, stronger cocoa, more intense molasses, juicy plum and brown sugar dance with sandalwood for one outstanding thing to sniff. It is still thick as all get out, like almost fruit nectar thick but blissfully without the sticky, super creamy and dense. It starts with overly ripe bordering on cooked plums with malt and molasses, building slowly until the midtaste is chocolate. Starting with milk chocolate and moving to dark, never getting to bittersweet. The finish is a blend of pine sap, myrrh, and sandalwood, cutting down the sweet ever so slightly but adding a richness that is almost blinding.

Surprisingly my mind is not mush by this point, it feels like it is almost at the point, sensory overload for sure! This steep does not change much from the second, it pretty much stays at status quo until steep five where it starts fading away into chocolate, plums and molasses until nothing is left several steeps later. This tea has longevity, aging potential, and it almost turned me into a gibbering mess (I needed time to process before I could get this written, it was like a chocolate tea Eldrazi…the MTG card no one knew they wanted) so yeah, if you have the money I say give this one a get. I plan on attempting to leave my cake alone for at least a few months to see how it changes.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/08/white2tea-2016-a-tea-review.html

Hoálatha

I just drank this for the first time, unfortunately in the form on multiple gaiwan steeps piled into a mug for a meeting, but I got a lot of the same flavors you did. It was soooo great! I can’t wait to drink it again and do a full writeup!

Good lord, I would not mind having a few cakes of this twinofmunin. This is one of those “chocolate note” Dianhongs to the max.

I’m getting a sweet, sweet malty chocolate taste to this tea, which I can only say for a few Dianhongs that I’ve had before. The kind of malt is on the border of sweet potato that you normally get in this variety of tea, but it is there. The chocolaty profile is also there and pretty obvious compared to the others that dared claim the taste. The sweet black base for Thai Iced tea is the only other thing that I can realistically compare it to since it is so “sugary” for a straight tea gong fu.

I brewed this starting at 15 sec with lord knows how many grams-probably 4-5 in 6.5 ounces, but darn it is good. The flavor overall is not super complex, but again, it’s that sweet malty chocolate goodness that you normally get from an Alishan black or a Laoshan in Dianhong cake form. If only this were released sooner when I was looking for a daily black.

I have a lot more to say, but I’ll leave it at this.

Or I don’t. Steep five and six are purely malty. A good malty black, but just that. I’m still impressed.

twinofmunin

i hoped you might like it. :) i like it a lot, myself.

Hoálatha

Just got a sample, and thanks to your review I can’t wait to try it!!

Daylon R Thomas

I highly recommend it Gong Fu. Steeping it longer tasted more like a regular black tea, but a good one at that.

First Steep – 1 minute

Tea Colour and Scent – The colour is burnt orange and it bares a thick, malt scent.

Tea Flavour – This has a lot of flavour for a one minute steep. It has both malt and dry wood attributes with sour cocoa that transcends into chocolate for the after taste. Some sweetness though mostly sour and with a rich mouth feel.

Second Steep – 2 minutes

Tea Colour and Scent – Red colour with a sour malt scent.

Tea Flavour – Thick and rich with sweet malt dominating a sour wood undertone. The aftertaste is cocoa like and sour but smooths out quickly. Also slightly drying in the after taste.

Third Steep – 3 minutes

Tea Colour and Scent – Orange/red colour with a sour wood scent.

Tea Flavour – It’s toned down but still thick in malt and sourness. Whilst still sour it has at least relaxed and it doesn’t last for long. The after taste is just as thick but evermore drying. Perhaps my favourite steep as the balance is better.

Overall – A thick and flavourful tea which is more like a classic black, albeit better quality than average. It’s a good quality everyday black tea which has it’s pro’s and con’s. I found it became sour very quickly but I did enjoy the richness of it.

The processing tastes more like a classic black tea and what I am more familiar with, so this method must be quite common in production. It’s also my usual preference in a black tea, I like them strong and rich.

It says that this tea should improve with age and I am very tempted to test that theory, given that it’s a new tea it should smooth out in a couple of years. If I can leave it alone for that long!

Pics and more information: http://www.kittylovestea.co.uk/2016/07/13/white2tea-club-july-2016/

looseTman

“It’s also my usual preference in a black tea, I like them strong and rich.” +1

This is a very tasty black tea. It is really good but not what I would call spectacular. There are strong notes of malt and notes of chocolate in this tea. I steeped the hell out of this at twelve steeps. That’s quite a lot for a black tea. And it held up to all twelve steeps without getting too weak. It did of course weaken a little but that is to be expected. To anyone who is not in the club and want’s to buy this it is I think worth the price. I think he gets $17.50 for this if my memory serves me. At that price per 100g it is worth it. I doubt I would buy more but it is good to have the one. The writeup on this says it is smooth, that is also true. This was a very good tea, unless you compare it to something expensive from Whhispering Pines that is. It doesn’t hold up to that standard but is still pretty good.

I steeped this twelve times in a 150ml gaiwan with 8.2g leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 10 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

Boiling 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Nicole

It looks like this is a pressed black cake, not pu-er, is that correct?

bromeliaceae

Yes it is! Interesting…

AllanK

Yes black tea

Nicole

It sounds like something I need to put on my wishlist.