2017 Turtle Dove

White Tea
Apricot, Hay, Leather, Straw, Sugarcane, Flowers, Honey, Floral, Sweet, Thick, Grass, Bitter, Citrus, Malt, Medicinal, Tangy, Forest Floor, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Anonimo Nonlodico

• “I received a sample of this with my Teaware.House order of an adorable 50ml gaiwan. Fun opportunity to try it out for the first time, as I’ve never had a gaiwan this small. The scent of the dry...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very tightly compressed, to the point that I actually find it annoying. It is somewhat tricky to get a decent chunk without turning too much tea into dust, and it takes a long time for the tea to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very tightly compressed, easy does it. The leaf can be bitter which I don’t like in a white tea but hang in there, after experimentation it became sweet and long lasting. This is an interesting tea.” Read full tasting note
  • “I haven’t tried many white teas, but I very much enjoyed this one. It has a very floral aroma with a sweetness and thickness which both give it qualities of a black tea to me. The taste lingers...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The 2017 Turtle Dove is a pressed white tea from Yunnan. Made from large leaf varietal material, the tea is sun dried, with no machine processing involved. The tea has a thick body, soft mouthfeel, and a unique natural fragrance. This tea is very forgiving with any type of brewing, including gongfu, western, or grandpa style. A perfect tea to drink daily without much fuss.
Drink now or age for the long haul.

This tea has been tested and passed the test for 440 of the pesticides and herbicides on the EU MRL list.

About White2Tea View company

The scent of the dry leaves in a pre-warmed gaiwan is like leather, hay, and dried flowers

The aroma of the leaves after the first infusion is really rich like dried fruit, particularly apricots. Judging by the smell, the taste of the first infusion is not quite what I expected. It’s a bit rustic with hay and leather notes, more similar to the scent of the dry leaf. There’s also a bit of drying feeling in the mouth, the taste of sugarcane, and just subtle hints of dried fruit flavor. I guess I was expecting a lighter and brighter flavor since this is a white tea, and that’s what I’ve come to expect from the best white teas I’ve tried.

Further infusions followed along in this same flavor spectrum. This tea is easy drinking and enjoyable, calming, rustic. If you like those energies, go for it. I think for me, I prefer white teas to be lighter and sweeter than this, and if I want a tea of this flavor type I tend to go toward a sheng. If you blindfolded me and had me drink this without knowing what it was, I’d have guessed it was a sheng.

Flavors: Apricot, Hay, Leather, Straw, Sugarcane

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Very tightly compressed, to the point that I actually find it annoying. It is somewhat tricky to get a decent chunk without turning too much tea into dust, and it takes a long time for the tea to open up.

The tea however is nice. It can go for many infusions, which might be related to the tight compression, and has a pleasant flavor profile with floral notes and honey. I enjoy drinking it but the compression unfortunately makes me lesss excited about the tea as a whole.

Flavors: Flowers, Honey

Very tightly compressed, easy does it.

I haven’t tried many white teas, but I very much enjoyed this one. It has a very floral aroma with a sweetness and thickness which both give it qualities of a black tea to me. The taste lingers for a while after you sip it. Definitely packs a punch and reveals nuances in the taste as you brew it — gongfu style in this case.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 tsp

I received this as part of the W2T club and liked it so much I ended up buying a brick of it. I also ended up spreading the rest of the coins around to others to enjoy.

Clean, sweet, thick, very floral with a long lasting floral aftertaste. There was a little bit of sharpness/citrus? present at the beginning, but it ended up being a very enjoyable session.

Flavors: Floral, Sweet, Thick

195 °F / 90 °C

Loved this one! It’s a compressed white tea – I got a small coin as a sample, and split it up so I could gongfu some now and try the rest grandpa-style later on. I’m using 5g in about 120ml gaiwan, boiling water, 15 second steeps.

It took a long time to open up, and after the 6th steeping I manually pulled the tightest bit apart and found that the center was still pretty dry. I think this actually did interesting things for the flavor progression, though.

It started out like a dark zambian honey, then got a bit maltier and oxidized tasting, then after I broke it up and exposed the center it turned into strong orange blossom honey. I started getting that sweet sensation over my front teeth afterwards, and watering in the sides of my mouth. It was honey through the 9th with just enough bitterness to make it interesting. Then the 10th-11th moved towards a gentle black tea taste and a bit more mouth-watering astringency, but still with some honey aroma to bring it all together, and finally a bit of that cool air feeling in my mouth after the 11th.

I tried a few longer steeps to finish it off, 25s and then 90s, but it felt done to me – no off flavors or anything, just getting blander than I’d prefer. Still, a nice long run until it hit that point.

I can’t wait to try this one grandpa-style too, and I ran off and ordered a whole brick immediately.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

It is very tightly pressed so it makes more sense to get it as a tuocha. That’s how I got it: White2Tea slipped it in as a free sample. Because it is pressed so tightly it is a bit tricky to determine the steeping time at first. First infusions are very light and floral, later it develops nice apricot notes and a little touch of bitterness (in a good way).

This tea has an absolute great aftertaste: long, lingering and gradually changing. You can get many infusions out of it. Quite robust for a white tea.

I am not a big fan of white teas but this one is quite special and satisfying. This is one of those teas that one has a difficulty to come up with a set opinion about because there is a lot going on and you feel like you need to try it several times to process all and arrive to a set conclusion. I am definitely intrigued by this Turtle Dove and probably will order more.

Flavors: Apricot, Flowers, Grass, Honey

Very consistent and flavorful! The citric/tangy notes are always there and the smell kind of reminds me of a black tea. The tea kind of gets bitter for a while but you can get like 10+ steeps without an issue.

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Honey, Malt, Medicinal, Sweet, Tangy, Thick

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

I got a Teawarehouse order in the mail today with a couple pretty new teacups, so I figured I’d pick something to Gong Fu today and test out one of my pretty nice pieces of teaware. I didn’t have to do much thinking about which tea to choose though; I actually got a coin of this tea as a freebie with my order so I just went for that.

I actually have a sample of this that I bought from W2T but I haven’t tried it yet, so this gives me a way to without cracking into that sample! Oh, and this is the cup that I’m ‘breaking in’ today:

It’s a nice size/shape to hold in my hand, and appearance wise it’s even prettier in person than it was on the site. Perhaps the best thing about it though, and the most pleasantly surprising, is the texture of the glaze on the cup. It’s satisfying/kind of stimulating to touch, especially on the inner lip where there are so many nerve endings. It’s just making me really happy to drink out of…

I’m initially a lot less impressed by this tea though – I broke the coin in half and gave it a rinse to try and open it up a little bit but I’m three steeps in now and I’m finding it pretty bland tasting/unexciting. It has very basic hay/straw notes a the tiniest hints of cream and floral finishing notes but I have to really push myself and focus to get them. I’m doubtful this is going to be a great session, but I’ll keep going for a little while and see if anything changes for me. I’ll just update the rest of this note steep by steep with any in the moment thoughts and we’ll see where that gets me…

Steep Four/Five

- These ones have a little more body to them; a mix of floral, straw, hay and honey
- I don’t know why I’m so surprised this tastes so generic white tea to me
- I mean, it is white tea; I guess I’ve just come to expect a little more from W2T?

Steep Six/Seven

- More of the same, hints of autumn leaf though
- And like a wood chip-y sort of finish
- Still blannnddddd

Yeah, I’m bored with this one to be honest. Kind of surprised I even gave it seven steeps if I’m really laying it all out there. Maybe part of it is that it was a coin? I find coin teas are sometimes a bad representation of a tea’s flavour. Thankfully, I do have a regular sample of this one so I can revisit it again and see if the different pretty style does anything to improve the experience for me – as well as try it Grandpa/Western.

Song Pairing: https://youtu.be/Gcu-fOQ7iDg

Lion

Aha, another reviewer of this tea that wasn’t too charmed. I thought maybe I was losing my touch, or my taste buds. Haha. Yeah, I’m with you on your impressions. As a white tea, this didn’t really do much for me. It’s not bad but those hay/straw notes and this dry bitterness just didn’t do it for me. Maybe give these bricks 10 years and this stuff’ll be delicious. I have an aged white tea brick from another company that just turned 10 and it is wine-like in complexity, but then again maybe they started with better materials.

Turtle Dove is a bargan for a white tea, considring how complex ansd how powerful it was. I got tea drunk off of a mini gong-fu session with it, and even broke out in a sweat! This tea became surprisingly aggressive, and seemed to turn into a highly oxidized black/oolong tea half way through. One thing I liked about Turtle Dove is that it has a wide array of tasting notes that seemed to keep transforming throughout the session. Despite this tea’s aggressiveness, I believe that Turtle Dove was intended to be bought for aging purposes. I say this because this tea has a lot of positive characteristics that shows that this tea will age beautifully, and will probably become tamer over time.

You can read my full review (with photos) here…

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Malt