2017 Turtle Dove

White Tea
Apricot, Flowers, Grass, Honey, Bitter, Citrus, Malt, Medicinal, Sweet, Tangy, Thick, Floral, Forest Floor, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Anonimo Nonlodico

• “It is very tightly pressed so it makes more sense to get it as a tuocha. That’s how I got it: White2Tea slipped it in as a free sample. Because it is pressed so tightly it is a bit tricky to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very consistent and flavorful! The citric/tangy notes are always there and the smell kind of reminds me of a black tea. The tea kind of gets bitter for a while but you can get like 10+ steeps...” Read full tasting note
  • “I got a Teawarehouse order in the mail today with a couple pretty new teacups, so I figured I’d pick something to Gong Fu today and test out one of my pretty nice pieces of teaware. I didn’t have...” Read full tasting note
  • “Turtle Dove is a bargan for a white tea, considring how complex ansd how powerful it was. I got tea drunk off of a mini gong-fu session with it, and even broke out in a sweat! This tea became...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The 2017 Turtle Dove is a pressed white tea from Yunnan. Made from large leaf varietal material, the tea is sun dried, with no machine processing involved. The tea has a thick body, soft mouthfeel, and a unique natural fragrance. This tea is very forgiving with any type of brewing, including gongfu, western, or grandpa style. A perfect tea to drink daily without much fuss.
Drink now or age for the long haul.

This tea has been tested and passed the test for 440 of the pesticides and herbicides on the EU MRL list.

About White2Tea View company

It is very tightly pressed so it makes more sense to get it as a tuocha. That’s how I got it: White2Tea slipped it in as a free sample. Because it is pressed so tightly it is a bit tricky to determine the steeping time at first. First infusions are very light and floral, later it develops nice apricot notes and a little touch of bitterness (in a good way).

This tea has an absolute great aftertaste: long, lingering and gradually changing. You can get many infusions out of it. Quite robust for a white tea.

I am not a big fan of white teas but this one is quite special and satisfying. This is one of those teas that one has a difficulty to come up with a set opinion about because there is a lot going on and you feel like you need to try it several times to process all and arrive to a set conclusion. I am definitely intrigued by this Turtle Dove and probably will order more.

Flavors: Apricot, Flowers, Grass, Honey

Very consistent and flavorful! The citric/tangy notes are always there and the smell kind of reminds me of a black tea. The tea kind of gets bitter for a while but you can get like 10+ steeps without an issue.

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Honey, Malt, Medicinal, Sweet, Tangy, Thick

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

I got a Teawarehouse order in the mail today with a couple pretty new teacups, so I figured I’d pick something to Gong Fu today and test out one of my pretty nice pieces of teaware. I didn’t have to do much thinking about which tea to choose though; I actually got a coin of this tea as a freebie with my order so I just went for that.

I actually have a sample of this that I bought from W2T but I haven’t tried it yet, so this gives me a way to without cracking into that sample! Oh, and this is the cup that I’m ‘breaking in’ today:

It’s a nice size/shape to hold in my hand, and appearance wise it’s even prettier in person than it was on the site. Perhaps the best thing about it though, and the most pleasantly surprising, is the texture of the glaze on the cup. It’s satisfying/kind of stimulating to touch, especially on the inner lip where there are so many nerve endings. It’s just making me really happy to drink out of…

I’m initially a lot less impressed by this tea though – I broke the coin in half and gave it a rinse to try and open it up a little bit but I’m three steeps in now and I’m finding it pretty bland tasting/unexciting. It has very basic hay/straw notes a the tiniest hints of cream and floral finishing notes but I have to really push myself and focus to get them. I’m doubtful this is going to be a great session, but I’ll keep going for a little while and see if anything changes for me. I’ll just update the rest of this note steep by steep with any in the moment thoughts and we’ll see where that gets me…

Steep Four/Five

- These ones have a little more body to them; a mix of floral, straw, hay and honey
- I don’t know why I’m so surprised this tastes so generic white tea to me
- I mean, it is white tea; I guess I’ve just come to expect a little more from W2T?

Steep Six/Seven

- More of the same, hints of autumn leaf though
- And like a wood chip-y sort of finish
- Still blannnddddd

Yeah, I’m bored with this one to be honest. Kind of surprised I even gave it seven steeps if I’m really laying it all out there. Maybe part of it is that it was a coin? I find coin teas are sometimes a bad representation of a tea’s flavour. Thankfully, I do have a regular sample of this one so I can revisit it again and see if the different pretty style does anything to improve the experience for me – as well as try it Grandpa/Western.

Song Pairing: https://youtu.be/Gcu-fOQ7iDg

Turtle Dove is a bargan for a white tea, considring how complex ansd how powerful it was. I got tea drunk off of a mini gong-fu session with it, and even broke out in a sweat! This tea became surprisingly aggressive, and seemed to turn into a highly oxidized black/oolong tea half way through. One thing I liked about Turtle Dove is that it has a wide array of tasting notes that seemed to keep transforming throughout the session. Despite this tea’s aggressiveness, I believe that Turtle Dove was intended to be bought for aging purposes. I say this because this tea has a lot of positive characteristics that shows that this tea will age beautifully, and will probably become tamer over time.

You can read my full review (with photos) here…

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Malt

Great to drink now grandpa style or daily drinker, or age for later. This brick is compressed very tightly and you will need to be cautious. White tea bricks are always a disaster.

The notes are hot forest floor, honey, paperback book, light molassess, and malt. Grandpa styles gives you more of a meld of malt, milk, and floral, almost like a dian hong with 6 infusions.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2017-turtle-dove-white-tea-brick-white2tea/

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 g 1 OZ / 18 ML
M Mack

Well that just sounds lovely.