Phoenix Pearl

Bitter, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Honey, Tannin, Wood, Citrusy, Malt, Sweet, Baked Bread, Smooth, Caramel, Chocolate, Drying, Creamy, Tobacco, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Lupiressmoon

2 Images

From Zen Tea

Naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Expertly rolled into a pearl-like shape.

Hailing from the Yunnan province, this Phoenix Pearl is naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Comprised of only the highest quality leaves and buds, expertly rolled into a pearl-like shape. Subtle cocoa notes whisper gently as each pearl unfurls delivering a superior tea experience not to be missed. Recomended to steep 2-3 times for different nuances of flavor.

Price: $10 / 100g
Ingredients : Black tea from Yunnan, China
Preparation(1 cup) : 3min, 1 teaspoon, 90C(194F)

About Zen Tea View company

Backlog…didn’t really look like pearls much, and I found the flavour lacking, by comparison to other black pearl teas like Teavivre’s Fengquing Dragon Pearls. Those were rich, this was thin. Maybe it was my brew. I have more sample from Cavocorax so maybe a steeping down the road will yield a better brew.

I’ve seen cocoa in tasting notes for black teas many a time, but none of the others, besides this tea, have really delivered for me. The cocoa flavors and sweetness hit you with the first brew and continue on throughout subsequent infusions, carrying a warm ceylon cinnamon body taste with subtle hints of licorice. There’s no real signs of major astringency, even brewing gaiwan style, holding a good flavor for 8 infusions if not more. Overall this tea has been another really positive experience in my foray into Yunnan black teas, with it being in one of the best in comparison to the others I have tried.

205 °F / 96 °C

Steep 1: 300 mL 95 deg. C water, 45ish seconds
-Earthy, similar to a good puerh
-bittersweet cocoa, woody, lots of tannin (a bit bitter and overly tannic, maybe try a shorter steep time)

Steep 2:300 mL, 95 deg. C, 15 seconds
-very aromatic, it smells like a Chinese black with some honey and cocoa in the background
-less Earthy, still slightly bitter

Steep 3: 300 mL, 10 seconds
-still very flavourful, more cocoa
-hints of wood
-honey (but I wouldn’t say it is very sweet)

Flavors: Bitter, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Honey, Tannin, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C

Yeah, I can see why these are rated so highly. They are delicious. Malty, slightly sweet, slightly citrus-y and bright, very smooth. I’m happy that I discovered Zen tea before they stopped selling actual tea but also sad that I discovered them this late in the game. Everything I have tried so far has been really top notch.

Flavors: Citrusy, Malt, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Here’s Hoping TTB

Mmm, so good! After 3 minutes, the tea was a deep coffee brown and I was thinking I’d over-steeped and would need to add milk to offset the bitterness. But not so. This was a cup of smooth, full-bodied, malty deliciousness! I’ve been so impressed with most of the samples I’ve tried from Zen Tea. Definitely going to have to place an order one of these days!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Malt, Smooth

Evol Ving Ness

I like this one a lot too. Most definitely have a number of favourites from Zen Tea Life.

GCTTB

So this is one of the teas that had just one teaspoon left so I pulled it from the box and honestly I am very glad I did. This is a lovely black tea. Sweet and bready with notes of caramel and perhaps even the slightest bit of smoke.

Evol Ving Ness I’m quite a fan of this one too. :)

I keep tripping over the box of teas I put aside when I doled them out for Sil. Yeah, yeah, I know it’s been a month, but the opportunity for revisiting them all sooner rather than later presented itself, so here we are.

I love this tea. I often carry it with me throughout the day. It’s a tea that when I don’t want to make tea decisions of what to drink never fails to please me: slightly chocolatey, slightly caramel, slightly sweet, malty and yet smooth, a not in your face kind of Chinese black—I was under the impression that this one that I have is from Yunnan, but their website claims the new one in stock is from Hunan— with each steep bringing different nuance. My favourite steep is the second and the third. The trick, I think, with this tea is to steep it with cooler water to bring out the scented notes. I don’t find it to be too finicky. Nonetheless, sometimes I get better results on different days.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Malt

I’m going to have to try this again, Evol. I attempted to gong fu it sipping on a lightly sweet and woodsy splash, then decided to make it western. It was a decidedly black black tea with some the tannin and malt qualities that I’ve gotten from an Assam, but with the Yunnan sweet potato hints along with more of that sweet wood quality. That was at 3 minutes, and much the same in the later flash steeps I had of it.

Like I said, I’ll have to try it again to get more cocoa.

Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box

Another wonderful black tea! Nice notes of cocoa, and baked bread abound in these lovely little pearls. I infused them 6 six times (all day!) I did however brew these at 180 degrees, which is slightly less than the requested temperature I believe. I was able to watch the leaves unfurl a bit each time which was really quite lovely. It was interesting to see a black tea pretending to be a green oolong. You know what I mean. Hehe.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa

Had to make a second review of this tea, because using 190 degree water instead of 205 made a huge difference. The lower temp, combined with my being sure to keep the steep times down, almost totally eliminated the issues of mouth-drying I got from my last session and made this a purely sweet experience. Got rich malt and chocolate notes, along with caramel. It was like a dessert. Body wasn’t particularly thick, but there was some almost creamy mouth feel going along with the sweet flavors. Glad I got two 10g samples of this, as I’m looking forward to drinking this a couple more times!

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Creamy, Malt, Sweet