drank Canton Orange by Silk Road

Mmm… This smells so delicious! When my judgement was based solely on the aroma I thought this was going to be a fun, funky flavoured tea. It smells fiery and “orange-y”.. ok, that word looks a little awkward but there’s a lot of orange to it.

I was a little on guard when a fellow shopper volunteered that, in fact, this was an Earl Grey and the best one she claimed to have ever had. I was not expecting that whatsoever! And yes, the slogan for this tea reads “Absolutely Earl Grey”. Shocker. In my small experiences, Earl Grey teas are simple and generic and definitely not capable of giving me the impression these leaves did. After finding all of that out I was very curious to go home and “run some tests” with it. When steeped the damp leaves still retain their high citrus notes but that standard “Grey” smell kicks in. It also has that very same standard overall taste.

I’ll admit I’m a bit disappointed despite the “warning”- that awesome orange citrus smell was such an exciting build-up to the most amazing orange tea I would never have… but for an Earl Grey this is a very impressive specimen. It has enjoyable tart and smoky hints- keeping it simple but with a twist. When I finally get over the leaves I’ll be able to say that this is a fine cup of Earl Grey.