drank Mi Lan Black Tea by Verdant Tea

I couldn’t find any definite info on this tea from Verdant’s website; I want to say it’s the same as their “Mi Lan Black” offering but I’m going to stick with the exact labels used on my packet for the sake of filing. My tea doesn’t quite look like those long big twirled leaves either, although the dry leaf was a kind of twine strip.

The flavour profile is practically on par with their Mi Lan page description; dark, rich honey, spicy sandalwood, charred sweet potato, etc. This first steeping has a comfortable note of bitter leather too. Citrus notes come out in subsequent steeps.

Anyways, this was a nice break after mostly drinking teas on the greener side of the spectrum. Like a nice scotch or whisky after a rainstorm of vodka. Or a blackberry after so many strawberries. I love silly comparisons.

Steep Count: 3

Sample provided by Verdant Tea. Thanks!

Flavors: Citrus, Earth, Honey, Leather, Spices, Sweet Potatoes

-Anise, but not licorice
-Ginger or Clove-forward chai
-Rosemary
-Grass/Marine/Vegetal/Nutty Green teas
-Florals: Rose, Lavender, Jasmine…
-Musky and/or Woody Incense-like stuff: Sandalwood, Frankincense, Eucalyptus
-Berries: Blackberry, Raspberry, Currants, Blueberry, Elderberry
-Bananas, and most fruits actually.

Less Preferred Flavours/Ingredients:

-Stevia and most sweetners
-Cinnamon-forward chai/blends
-Apple & Cranberries
-Mango pieces (love mango outside of tea though)
-Coconut pieces (as a sub/filler ingredient)
-Metallic or overly artificial teas
-Cocoa Nibs, 95% of the time.

Subjective Rating System 3.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. I’ll impulsively buy in large quantities and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. I’ll try to keep this one around when it’s practical.

76-84: A good tea, but not one I’m likely to order again.

70-75: Alright, but I may have a few problems with quality, consistency, ingredient chemistry and/or personal preferences.

50-69: Average to mediocre cup.

11-49: Varying levels of undrinkable tea. I don’t give a lot of these ratings out, since I tend to grab tea I know will appeal to me.

1-10: Nightmare tea from the chaos realms. This tea is the embodiment of the primordial swamp, the unholy abomination that is a chimera. It’s very gross and I’m almost positive it doesn’t exist.

BC, Canada