I’m not getting the cocoa notes from this that the rest of you are getting. Just honey. That same honey flavor that I used to describe as mushroom and that I’ve recently discovered morphs into “muscatel” in a darjeeling. Clearly, I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to describing black teas. But According to my own personal tea descriptors, I dub this mushroom tea and it shall not be my tea.

It tastes similar to Jin Jun Mei also from Yezi, which I compared to Zhen Qu from Butiki. Should I be finding such overlapping characteristics between these teas or am I on my own little tea planet?

(I keep wanting to type random German in the middle of my English. . .this is a good sign. .. well, not for all you reading my notes, probably. haha)

ok, back to the tea: The one thing ‘mushroom’ black teas have going for them is that they do not upset my stomach the way a ‘mushroom’ oolong or a darjeeling does.

Here’s to hoping that the real tea gurus out there don’t make a fuss at me for trying to compare such individual categories of tea, likely deserving of their own unique taste descriptions. :)

Name: Shelley Lorraine Limegrover
Location: Wyoming
Occupation: Student and Evil Genius
Ward: 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, 1 Cocker spaniel, 1 super cranky but lovable siamese cat, one bipolar black turkish angora, and my husband’s black and white cat.

Hobbies: Learning, reading books, math, physics (have a degree in it), literature (have a degree in it too), anthropology, traveling, piano, and making TEA, of course (^o^)

Future plans: World domination >-)
Graduate school for Comparative literature (in German, Latin, and Greek) (this will be my 4th degree, but first/only graduate one :) )

Favorite teas: Kukicha, Green teas in general, aged oolongs, charcoal roasted oolong, taiwanese oolongs, Assam . . .

Don’t like: Genmaicha, Earl Grey, Darjeelings, ginger, coconut, smokey teas (even mild ones), nut flavors, overwhelmingly strong floral flavor (esp. Jasmine), most della derra and adagio teas. . .

My Rating System

100 My happiness absolutely depends on it

95 Will definitely repurchase

85: Might repurchase (teas that depend on my mood)

75 Won’t repurchase (but I would drink it again if offered).

65: meh

45: I reluctantly finished a cup.

15: Couldn’t finish a cup.

I simplified my ratings to single numbers rather than ranges because I can’t precisely compare so many teas with a system more detailed than this.

An unrated tea most often one that I recognize as having significantly notable quality, but that does not suit me personally. Sometimes, I leave teas unrated for other reasons, such as I am undecided or I brewed it wrong, etc.

Note: Boiling temp. barely reaches 200 where I am (and a few times it sticks at 195, I assume due to unexplainable shifts in altitude or the position of the moon. . .aliens?. . .).

Wyoming