Another purchase from the Toronto Tea Festival! And these are the guys behind my new favourite, Shincha Kuro.

Packaging/Instructions: This tea came in the kind of bag that uses a flexible metal bar to keep the bag closed. The instructions on the label said to use 1 tsp of leaf for 1 cup of tea, and to steep it in 80°C water for 3 minutes. I ended up using about 2 tsp of dry leaf for 24 oz of water, and steeped it for the recommended time.

Dry leaf: The dry leaf looks about average for jasmine pearls: little tightly-rolled balls of green tea with white streaks of jasmine visible. The smell of the dry leaf is very jasmine-y, but there’s also a sweetness alongside it that’s similar to honey or orange. In any event, it’s an unexpected yet lovely scent.

1st infusion: The liquor is a nice clear greenish-tan, and the jasmine smell is very strong. However, the taste is a really nice balance of green tea and jasmine – it’s not astringent, and the jasmine is noticeable without tasting “soapy”. Overall, this is a really nice, light jasmine. I’m looking forward to seeing how it holds up to multiple infusions.

Flavors: Honey

Dexter3657

I’ve been happy with everything I’ve tried from Capital Tea Ltd. Glad you are enjoying your purchases :))

Comments

Dexter3657

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

That said, I drink green tea most often. I’m trying to learn more about herbals and oolongs, and have just come to the realization that I like flavoured black teas and flavoured rooibos teas. I’m still trying to find my footing with white teas, and have barely gotten started with pu’erh teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada