Another purchase from the Toronto Tea Festival! And these are the guys behind my new favourite, Shincha Kuro.

Packaging/Instructions: This tea came in the kind of bag that uses a flexible metal bar to keep the bag closed. The instructions on the label said to use 1 tsp of leaf for 1 cup of tea, and to steep it in 80°C water for 3 minutes. I ended up using about 2 tsp of dry leaf for 24 oz of water, and steeped it for the recommended time.

Dry leaf: The dry leaf looks about average for jasmine pearls: little tightly-rolled balls of green tea with white streaks of jasmine visible. The smell of the dry leaf is very jasmine-y, but there’s also a sweetness alongside it that’s similar to honey or orange. In any event, it’s an unexpected yet lovely scent.

1st infusion: The liquor is a nice clear greenish-tan, and the jasmine smell is very strong. However, the taste is a really nice balance of green tea and jasmine – it’s not astringent, and the jasmine is noticeable without tasting “soapy”. Overall, this is a really nice, light jasmine. I’m looking forward to seeing how it holds up to multiple infusions.

Flavors: Honey

Dexter

I’ve been happy with everything I’ve tried from Capital Tea Ltd. Glad you are enjoying your purchases :))

Comments

Dexter

Updated February 2014:

I’m a writer and editor who’s fallen for loose-leaf tea hard. Within a year of joining Steepster, I’ve spent at least $500 on tea, and gotten a whole bunch in swaps! At this point I’ve got a better handle on what I like and dislike, but I’m sure that there will always be more to discover.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger, Ceylons, Chinese blacks.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: pu’er teas.

I rarely score teas anymore, but if I do, here’s the system I follow:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada