Ahh, this is the tea I remember falling in love with! Last time I brewed it, it tasted mineral and flat, but this time it’s just right. A nice balance of sweet green base, jasmine, and something else undefinable. I still think it’s orange or orange-blossom that I’m tasting.

Something new this time: after given the chance to cool down, there’s a sharp, almost peppery flavour on the tip of my tongue when I sip this. Hard to define, almost acrid, but somehow pleasantly so.

I think today, instead of focusing on trying new teas, I’m going to attack the ones that I have a LOT of in my cupboard so they can be used up more. This tea is lovely, but it came in a 100g package, which will last a long time if I don’t do something about it.

Edit: This tea really deserves multiple steepings, as the pearls don’t unfurl completely the first time around. The second steep retains as much character as the first. Yum.

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada