Hattialli Golden Paw Assam

Astringent, Baked Bread, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Earth, Floral, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our Hattialli Golden Paw Assam originates from the Hattialli Tea Estate in the Dibrugarh District in the South Bank, Assam region of India. The name Hattialli comes from the words “Hatti Alli”, which means Elephant Road. This name came about since there was a nearby elephant camp. The Hattialli Tea Estate is known for golden tippy handpicked teas and the balance of briskness and mellowness of their teas. This phenomenal malty second flush Assam has baked bread, raw cacao, and oak notes. Sweet potato and dried apricot notes are also detectable with fleeting lighter floral notes. There is a fruity sweetness and with little to no noticeable astringency. Hattialli Golden Paw Assam is truly an exceptional second flush Assam.

Ingredients: Indian Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more info, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

I purchased this one from Ost in her stash sale. The second I saw two of Butiki’s straight blacks on her list, I pounced! They just so happened to be two blacks that I hadn’t purchased but was curious about. Gotta love how that works out sometimes. :P Anyway, I decided to cheat this morning and try this tea instead of drinking one of the black teas I’m supposed to be sipping down. Naughty! The leaves look surprisingly similar to a very tippy Yunnan. There are a ton of fuzzy metallic golden buds mixed with darker leaves. Dry scent is slightly malty and sweet (I confess, I stored this in a tin that used to house a fruity tea and I don’t think I let it air out long enough, so it smells slightly fruity too). I followed the recommended instructions aside from the water temperature.

Brewed, the tea smells very strong and malty/bready with some earth notes and a bit of sweetness. Whoa, I was not ready for the taste. I don’t have any experience with Assam teas, and I’m finding this to be extremely strong and quite earthy. I think I now know what “brisk” means when describing tea. Once I got past the initial taste, I found a fruity sweetness in the second half of the sip. There’s definitely a dark cocoa flavor that almost borders on bitterness, and a little spurt of floral in the aftertaste which was rather unexpected!

Overall, I was really surprised by the strength and intensity of this tea, especially after looking at the dry leaves. But the experience was a pleasant one for me, and I feel like my tongue got more and more used to the strong earthy flavor as I kept drinking. I think in the future, I’ll try this one with sugar or milk and see how that changes it. :)

Flavors: Astringent, Baked Bread, Cocoa, Dried Fruit, Earth, Floral, Malt

Oops! logged under the wrong tea.

Cameron B.

Yum, I love bready teas. :D

christeana1

I have some of this to try!:)

Tea Sipper

I think the one you tried from the tea box is actually the ‘lion’ and not the ‘paw’. :D

Oh, this is a sad sipdown. I almost ordered more of this on Monday when I heard Butiki was closing, but I decided not to, since I have other teas that are similar. The idea that once it’s sold out it won’t ever be available again is sad though. This is a delicious bread-y tea.

TTB&C 2

If there’s a Butiki tea in a traveling box, I am totally having it!

This Assam is not as malty as I expected it would be (because the dry leaf looked so cunningly Chinese golden tips like), at least not upfront. And I think I would be quick to designate it to the space of “Assams that don’t really do it for me” except this aftertaste… The aftertaste is doing this whole tea for me! So imagine this, upfront you are getting a slightly astringent, basic and ascetic kind of assam notes and then from the background emerges this creamy kick of sweetness that lingers on your tongue like a caramel candy. It’s such an amazing trick you want to pause whatever you are doing for every sip of this tea that you take. I am totally getting an ounce of this next time I shop at Butiki!

Ost

Sounds amazing! :O

T&C TTB Tea # 4 – Backlog May 23

I usually use my ipad all the time but I am SO behind on my TTB reviews that I wanted to log on with my actual computer (GASP) to hopefully crack out a bunch now.

This was a tea I’d been wanting to try…everytime i see the word “Golden” as part of a tea name I instantly get interested, because of the Golden Monkey teas I’ve had which are basically the best ever.

This one wasn’t nearly as flavorful as I’d hoped.
It was slightly bready with a very faint smoke note.
The liquor was a medium amber color, not very bold or rich.

It was a decent black tea but didn’t really stand out, i’m looking for major fruity/honey/bready/cocoa notes and I didn’t seem to find them here.

Glad to try it though!

Courtney

I knew there was smoke! I thought maybe I’d gone round the bend when no other tasting notes (at the time), or Stacy’s description mentioned smoke. Thank goodness it’s not just me.

whatshesaid

Nah you’re not crazy, unless we both are!

This was a sample, and I can’t really remember what it tastes like, but I remember staring into my cup and saying “Oh wow!”, taking another sip, staring into my cup again, and feeling sad that I didn’t have more. Must buy this. I’m also almost out of Premium Taiwanese Assam. Looks like I’ll be ordering soon :)

Sipdown (143/149)!

I start work at 4:30 today so that means I have a few extra hours to myself this afternoon so I decided to spend them drinking tea and trying to finish season two of Orange is The New Black. I mean, what better way to ease into the day?

This was an easy sipdown to take and starting the morning with a straight black seemed like an excellent idea! I have to admit this second cup was significantly better than the first which I found so disgusting so there’s a plus! But still, I don’t think this is one I’d ever want to have stocked up. I just still found it to be very astringent and choppy.

There were cocoa notes to it though and that made it more pleasant to drink; and I also got some interspersed notes of baked bread (I was reminded of Bannock for whatever reason) and some very light floral notes. I could have done without the floral quality, but the “Bannock” was nice. I suppose I can see why this appeals to people; it’s just not my preferred straight black it seems.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Floral

whatshesaid

You did a much better job describing it than I did!

Butiki Teas

Hmmmm, I didn’t notice any astringency. I think I may have to change the steeping recommendations to 190F.

My Butiki samples have arrived! I’m very excited to try so many new Butiki gems. I’m not sure if it’s just Stacy picking the teas, but someone over at Butiki REALLY knows how to find the right teas. I wanted to start with the Hattialli because the Hattialli Golden Lion was probably my favorite tea of all time.

Steep #1 //2 tsps // 13 min after boiling // 3 1/2 min steep
I waited 13 minutes for the water to cool because somehow that worked better for me with the other Hattialli than boiling water (though it could have also been just five minutes after boiling.) This one isn’t QUITE the same, but it’s still an amazing tea. Maybe better than the second harvest I tried of the Lion, but not the first harvest I tried. The flavor isn’t as detailed to me, it’s missing the plum, apricot, more chocolate, sweet potato. All of those things are very subtley there, and I probably wouldn’t even notice them if I hadn’t known to look for them in the other tea. This isn’t supposed to be the same tea anyway, though it shares the Hattialli name.

Steep #2 // 8 min after boiling // 3 1/2 min
The second steep loses even more of those extra flavors, but it gains a ton more chocolate. I don’t think it’s a very strong chocolate tea compared to others, but I’m surprised at how much chocolate is actually here, since the leaves are mostly golden colored. Golden leaves usually taste like honey, not chocolate. But man this cup was addicting and I just sat there zombie-eyed sipping and sipping. I sure do wish I had bought truckloads of the first harvest of the Lion. High standards with my most favorite tea! This one is still definitely worth trying, as I haven’t tasted this type of tea anywhere else before.

ETA: Steep #3 // half a mug // just boiled // 3-4 min
This steep was an afterthought, but it was still very tasty! I thought it would be a lot worse. I’ll have to remember to do a full third steep with the rest of my sample the next time.

OH and if anyone is selling any of the first harvest of the Lion (I think it was before July 2013), I’ll buy it!

I received this as one of my sample teas on my last order and I will be ordering more! This was delicious! I didn’t bother with milk or sugar and am glad I didn’t! There was definitely some good hints of sweet potato and bread and I personally think this would make an amazing afternoon tea as its not astringent at all and is quite soft in its flavors, a good afternoon pick me up! Yum!

I really enjoyed Golden Lion, & I’m really enjoying Golden Paw. I can’t really say how they differ, because it’s been awhile since I had Golden Lion.
This is a nice Assam, not as bold as some, but with a thick mouth, a rich malty flavor, & an aftertaste & slight tartness of apricot.