Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “So lately I have been looking through my tasting notes and finding which teas do not have short steeping notes. I don't write about every cup of tea I brew, but I like to make one note for long...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 302 tasting notes
  • “Opening my recently-arrived pouch, this tea just screamed CHOCOLATE at me. Rather amazing! The chocolate is a lot less apparent in the liquor's aroma, which smells more green, but does show up...” Read full tasting note
    nomadinjeopardy 658 tasting notes

From Camellia Sinensis

This black tea from Fujian (Wuyi Mountains) has beautiful full leaves, slightly rolled into thin twists. The vegetal aromas and malty, nutty and chocolatey notes are superimposed on the bittersweet character of the liquor. The presence of buds is also manifested by a floral and sweet finish.

About Camellia Sinensis View company

So lately I have been looking through my tasting notes and finding which teas do not have short steeping notes. I don’t write about every cup of tea I brew, but I like to make one note for long steeps and one note for short steeps. Anyway,

I brewed this tea today and the flavours were pretty consistent up until the third or fourth cup. It doesn’t keep the main flavour of one long steep, but it’s similar enough. And then came the expected downward spiral of weakening tea flavour, but what really shocked me was the CIGAR aroma in my fifth cup.

Whoa whoa whoa, what?!?!

I’m not disgusted or anything but it’s a strange thing to suddenly appear in my tea. I’ve tried some young raw puerh before and that’s given me a similar cigar aroma.

Okay so with these turn of events I had to keep resteeping. The sixth cup had an even stronger cigar aroma. I mean there is a hint of the original tea flavours but this was completely unexpected. By the time I got to the seventh cup the cigar aroma was almost completely gone. I kept resteeping it but the eighth and ninth cups were so weak and full of my original water flavour.

What a weird experience… I almost want to believe my senses just felt like trolling me this morning. ;) I’ll have to try and redo this again sometime to see if I can duplicate the experience. (edit: Tried this short steeped at a later date and it still had the cigar aroma with 5-6)

100ml gaiwan, 2 tsp, 9 steeps (30s + 15s resteeps)

Opening my recently-arrived pouch, this tea just screamed CHOCOLATE at me. Rather amazing! The chocolate is a lot less apparent in the liquor’s aroma, which smells more green, but does show up flavour-wise. It takes a back seat to the nutty sweetness, though. Smooth and medium-bodied and delicious!