Green Tea
Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lychee, Peach, Rose, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “If Bali smells like this, I need to go there (I need to go there, anyway, but still). This is what scented island-life travel ads would smell like - floral, fruity and with a dash of something...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “This tea was super smooth and lovely today. Fruity, floral and refreshing. I love this rose so for me it is not overwhelmingly floral, but I could see how it might be too floral for some. To me it...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2036 tasting notes
  • “A sample from a friend and wow this is fruity and flowery - though I admittedly used a very generous dosage. The green tea base is innocuous, nice enough, with some bitterness which I blame on not...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 333 tasting notes
  • “*Dammann Frères Advent Calendar - December 15th* Time for another flavored green! And looking at the ingredients... this one may not be for me. But that's okay, I'm willing to try it anyway. It...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 833 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

With fresh, floral and fruity notes, this deli-cately flavoured blend is to be appreciated year-round, hot or chilled. Sencha tea from China, jasmine green tea and flower petals, lychee, grapefruit and rose flavours.

Subtil équilibre de notes fraîches, fleuries et fruitées pour ce mélange délicatement parfumé à apprécier tout au long de l’année, tant chaud que glacé : thé Sencha de Chine et thé vert au jasmin, pétales de fleurs, arômes litchi, pamplemousse et rose.

About Dammann Freres View company

If Bali smells like this, I need to go there (I need to go there, anyway, but still). This is what scented island-life travel ads would smell like – floral, fruity and with a dash of something boozy.

The florals, however, amount mostly to a distinct rose flavour in the cup, drowning out the fruit notes. Rose is not one of my favourite flavours, and DF’s take on it is far too perfumey for my tastes; it’s a very cosmetic rose.

I understand why this is a bestselling tea, and why so many people like it – it’s just another case of DF not being a good match for me.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

2036 tasting notes

This tea was super smooth and lovely today. Fruity, floral and refreshing. I love this rose so for me it is not overwhelmingly floral, but I could see how it might be too floral for some. To me it was fruity and delicious.

It’s nearly identical to Fauchon’s Rose et Litchi, but unlike Fauchon I can order this one any time. But I have a 50g tin of it that hasn’t been hit very hard (not to mention 100g of Rose et Litchi), so I will be set on rose and lychee blends for a while!

Anna

This IS the same tea, though, right?

Dinosara

Well the Fauchon-branded tea is just rose and lychee, I think, whereas Bali also has jasmine and grapefruit. So they are indeed very slightly different.

Anna

Ooh, okay! I do get pretty confused by the Fauchon/DF/Hédiard lines crossing.

A sample from a friend and wow this is fruity and flowery – though I admittedly used a very generous dosage.

The green tea base is innocuous, nice enough, with some bitterness which I blame on not having been careful enough with temperature and time. The leaf I used was full of jasmine blossoms including the cutest whole blossom just starting to unfurl. So for me there is definetely a strong jasmine note, just behind the lychee, and the rose coming third to the jasmine.

I do not know quite what to think of this – it´s really intense, maybe too intense for my tastes though a nice enough blend to have now and then.

Ysaurella

would you say DF uses always the same green tea base for flavoured greens as well ? I didn’t have very much DF greens to have an idea

cteresa

This is probably my second DF green and can hardly recall the first. And this is hard to tell much about the base, it is such a busy blend. I did think it was one way to make sure I was not bored by the same base!

Dammann Frères Advent Calendar – December 15th

Time for another flavored green! And looking at the ingredients… this one may not be for me. But that’s okay, I’m willing to try it anyway. It has fruits that I really love, like grapefruit and lychee, and then it also has a double dose of floral. We shall see! The sachet itself definitely smells very heavy on the rose. I can see the green tea leaves along with large pieces of flower petals inside.

The steeped tea actually smells quite nice – yes, I can smell the jasmine and rose, but they’re tempered a bit by the sweet lychee and peach, and a touch of grapefruit. You know what? I don’t hate this. In fact, it’s quite tasty. Luckily for me, the rose is somehow kept very light and non-heady, perhaps from the citrus and jasmine? And the lychee complements the flowers so well, but at the same time it keeps them in check with its sweetness and allows me to taste the other fruits. I think the grapefruit is really the saving grace for this tea, it’s so light and refreshing that it completely neutralizes any perfumey quality this tea could have had. I could still do without the rose here, but at least it’s not overpowering the entire blend. Progress! :)

I really need to get a grapefruit tea in my cupboard… Anyone have any suggestions?

Flavors: Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lychee, Peach, Rose, Sweet

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

Although I haven’t tried it yet, many West Coasters have been raving about Bayswater’s Grapefruit Earl Grey. I recently tried Acquired Taste Tea Co’s Grapefruit Sencha and I liked it more than I thought I would since I’m not a huge fan of sencha.

Red Fennekin

If you can hack the shipping, the “Blue Sky Blend” by J Atkinson and Co. is absolutely incredible – it’s another Grapefruit Earl Grey and it’s spectacular! :D It also isn’t overly bergamot-y, so it may suit you.

OMGsrsly

I couldn’t post earlier, but the grapefruit EG is really good. And for an herbal, “The Tea Guy” has a grapefruit that’s nice, especially cold brewed in the summer.

Nicole

If you want a black grapefruit, you might give Single Origin Tea a try. They are at least very inexpensive if you find you don’t care for it. :)

Day 15.

This tea smells delicious. But I am scared to try it becuase the deliciousness appears to be quite perfumey. There are scents of sweet jasmine and lychee.

This tea is interesting. There is definitely a jasmine base. It is not as strong as I would have thought in comparison to the smell. There are hints of lychee flavour. Lychee fruits are delicious. But the bad thing is that often in tea is comes across as very perfumey, and I am getting that in this case. This tea is strongly floral. Strong hints of rose. The tea liquor is light and thin, but the flavours remain quite strong.

My snippet review for this tea would be: smells perfumey, tastes perfumey.

Bought at Oronero – Palazzo Pitti – Firenze