Ceylon & India (Orange Pekoe)

Edit tea info Last updated by Ryan Burress

From Harney & Sons

Also known as Orange Pekoe, this classic blend of strong Assam and smooth liquoring Ceylon, this tea produces a mellow, satisfying cup. The “Orange” in the name refers to the size of the tea leaf, Orange Pekoe leaves being the largest style leaves. A traditional staple in many households, John drinks this tea whenever he needs a comforting cup.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

Horrifying! This is the only tin of this tea I have ever purchased, and I see here I bought it about four years ago. Well, the tin is almost empty. I guess the reason it has stayed around so long is that I bought it back when hubby only drank black tea with milk and sugar, so I bought lots of Ceylons for him so we could have tea together and I just bought more than we could drink. Plus, he finally developed a taste for other teas and finds that he prefers them plain, so now he usually asks for green, white, puerh, or oolong.

Wednesday Tea Party was moved to Monday this week because we are supposed to stay off the roads tomorrow and I knew this storm was coming! Miss tea party? No! Reschedule!

I served this first so that the flavors of the other teas would not conflict with our cookies. My guest really liked it, and said it tasted like a very high quality tea to her. I agree. This is a nice every day drinker. When I first started loose leaf five years ago I preferred the milder Ceylon Extra Fancy and found this one to be a little strong to me for drinking plain. Now? I like it plain just fine and don’t find it too strong at all. I would reorder it gladly, but first I have to drink the backlog of other Ceylons I bought around the same time.

It went wonderfully with our cookies, and is always great with cheese.

My city had the most snow in the state today. In a couple of hours, ice is supposed to start coming down and continue for a full 24 hours at least. We have brought up wood and have the Buck Stove fired up so if the power goes out, we will at least still have heat, and can even cook a bit!

Ysaurella

so after 4 years your tea was still good.It is not so surprising.
What a lovely day : snow, cookies and good tea :)

gmathis

Careful around that ice!

ashmanra

Apparently there was a tiny shift in the isothermic lines and we are getting more snow! Big snow! Huge snow!

gmathis

Good! Snow doesn’t generally snap power lines like pretzels and cause 3" gashes in your roof! How many inches did you get?

ashmanra

By big and huge I meant the flakes were coming down in big clumps! I am not sure how many inches we got but it is about the deepest I have ever seen here. Ice is falling now, and more snow is expected tomorrow.

Found a bag of this lingering in my work stash. Finishing it off…it’s pretty darn good for being as old as it is!

This is often my early morning wake-up tea. I find it best if mellowed by a splash of milk.

I had a sample of this tea at the bottom of my tea box. It was the loose leaf, rather than the sachet. I’m glad I found it.

This is straight black tea. It’s not trying to be anything else and that’s refreshing. I brewed up one cup hot and it was a nice, well rounded tea without any bitterness. I then brewed the rest of it up as iced tea and found it delightful. Add some ice and a twist of lemon and you are in business.

So if you’re looking for a no nonsense black tea, this is it.

In comparing this to Assam, I can definitely taste the Assam, but there is a light briskness atop the Assam in which I think I can attribute to the Ceylon. Just like Assam it takes milk well. But that Ceylon adds a little bit extra on the pallet.

The color is lighter than Assam, more translucent and more of a malty color.

Aroma: Toast, light body
Liquor Color: Golden red
Liquor Flavor: Bitter, brisk, bold
Notes: I can’t say I like this at all, it’s pretty strong but it could take on cream and sugar quite well. Anyway, I bought this to make iced tea, and it works well for that purpose. Once sugar is added it’s quite smooth with minimal bitterness. Not something I’d drink plain, but decent with mix ins.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The aroma is light and the color dark and translucent. The usually hearty Assam taste is quite subdued and mellowed by the Ceylon. The flavor is only slightly dry, which seems to be hidden by a little sugar. In my opinion, the flavor blossoms quite nicely when a little cream is added as well. This is an excellent anytime tea. It has that delicious Assam flavor by with a slightly smoother and more complex character. Take care, however, as this tea turns very bitter very quickly if left to steep too long. I recommend four minutes just to be safe.

My first Harney & Sons…and I overbrewed it! This tea is a fine crushed blend and a little goes a long way. My “normal” amount of tea resulted in a brew too strong to drink. The immediate resteep was good though. I turned the strong stuff into iced tea. Not bad, needs sugar and maybe a twist of lemon for me…definitely some sugar. The brew was clear and bright, like I expect from ceylon teas, with body of Indian teas (not sure what the blend is, but I’d guess Assam). Not giving a thumbs up or down on my mistake.

Brisk but not overpoweringly so.