Temi Sikkim

Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I've had this in my cupboard for a couple of years now. Can't believe I've yet to log a tasting note for it! When I was first exploring darjeelings, this was something I picked up along with a...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 510 tasting notes
  • “This is my first Temi Sikkim. I was hesitate at first since this is a Darjeeling *style* tea. I have not quite mastered my way around Darjeeling. But, upon first sniff, I became quite...” Read full tasting note
    hesperjune 168 tasting notes
  • “The short, twisty, multi-colored leaves have the same sweet, biscuit fragrance I’ve been getting from a lot of H&S teas. This one is dead-on for a Lorna Doone cookie. The dark copper colored tea...” Read full tasting note
    paulmtracy 141 tasting notes
  • “The dry leaves of this lovely Darjeeling-style tea range from deep brown curls to fuzzy silver tips. The light spicy notes reveal the Darjeeling influence, while the rich and smooth honey body sets...” Read full tasting note
    harneytea 157 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Sikkim is located just north of Darjeeling in India. The only garden there, Temi, does its teas in a Darjeeling style. This is a mid-year tea, so it makes for a dark brew. It is light in body with honey notes. Also there is the Darjeeling “spicy nose”.

About Harney & Sons View company

I’ve had this in my cupboard for a couple of years now. Can’t believe I’ve yet to log a tasting note for it!

When I was first exploring darjeelings, this was something I picked up along with a cart load of other H&S teas. I found that I liked this as a darjeeling even though it isn’t technically one. The dry leaves are lovely and the steeped leaves are the multi-colored small to medium leaves I expect from a darjeeling kind of tea.

This has a medium body with a lightly sweet smell. Dryness in the background is what reminds me most strongly of darjeelings. I oversteeped this cup by a few minutes and while it got a little bitter, it isn’t undrinkable. I don’t get honey but I do taste the woody.

This is my first Temi Sikkim.
I was hesitate at first since this is a Darjeeling style tea.
I have not quite mastered my way around Darjeeling.
But, upon first sniff, I became quite excited.
The odor of toasted nuts, baked bread and leather come out in the steeped tea.
Taste has a nice little bite, but not too astringent, with some notes of the previous mentioned toasted nuts.
I really enjoy drinking this tea.

oooh sounds good! esp if you’re not a darjeeling lover, it might be up my alley heh

Hesper June

It is yummy, Sil.
I am not a Darjeeling hater…just have not been able to find my rhythm yet with one.
I blame myself not the tea;)

haha i’ve found a couple darjeelings that work for me, but overall i just never seem to do right by them

The dark copper colored tea has a clean tea fragrance that’s sweet but also has a slight burnt paper quality. The flavor is very mild; it’s light in body and has little to no astringency. There’s a subtle lingering sweetness.

I had this first thing in the morning but I need something bolder to kick me into gear. This would, however, make for an excellent afternoon tea.

The dry leaves of this lovely Darjeeling-style tea range from deep brown curls to fuzzy silver tips. The light spicy notes reveal the Darjeeling influence, while the rich and smooth honey body sets this tea apart from its lemony neighbors. This tea endures well in the mouth, with the rich tea body outlasting the spicy notes. My preference is to drink this tea in the early afternoon and think of distant mountains.
-RA

Just getting into Darjeelings. I sampled this at the H & S tasting room in NYC, then brought some home. I do like it, a lot… it’s on the light, mild side, and is perfect for late morning/early afternoon… plus, I think, better without milk than with. Very pretty pale amber color! And the leaves do have a slightly sweet smell, which is pleasing. It’s really different from the Assams I’ve been drinking (and which I have lots of trouble telling apart… though maybe I will get better at this over time…)—it IS mild, but has a subtle bite (tannic taste?) that the Assams don’t.

Tea of the morning, and the last of the samples I picked up from H&S. I was curious about this tea since it isn’t technically a Darjeeling but is done, “in a Darjeeling style”. I am also a fan of Nepali teas which have also been compared to Darjeeling, so I though it would be fun to see how this tea compares.

Teim is mellow with a sweet – almost floral – smell. The taste is also sweet with strong honey notes. Delicious! There is a woody flavor that reminds me of Darjeeling as does the moderate amount of astringency at the end of the sip. A floral note is present as the tea cools, and between the honey and floral flavors I’m reminded of the wildflower honey I once bought at a road side farmer’s stand when I was driving through Texas. This is definitely a pleasing cup.

Yes, there are similarities between Sikkim and Darjeeling teas, but this tea is different enough, and unique enough, to warrant me buying a tin at a future date. This will make a really lovely afternoon tea. In fact, I might have it again this afternoon.

Nicole Martin

This is one of my favorites. It’s quite inexpensive compared to Darjeeling so it’s a great alternative for making iced tea.

Veronica

I didn’t even think of iced tea with this one. I bet it’s really good! When I buy a tin of this I’ll have to remember to try it iced.

My internet’s been acting up lately to the point it’s just broken for half the day no matter what we do, so I’ve been a bit AWOL and might be scarce for a few days. Sorry guys.

Had this for morning tea and was taken aback at how sweet and peachy it smelled at the top, almost like the old fashioned Formosa Oolong. Delicious. I didn’t read the copy before making the cup so didn’t know what to expect, and then when I saw the Darjeeling-ish light ruby hue I was like “a ha!” Needless to say it’s right up my alley. A shame it doesn’t resteep well past a second steep, but so sweetly Darjeeling-like while being a little different, with yeah, almost old fashioned oolong characteristics, that I could easily see gulping down more of this. Perfect for early spring when you still want the comfort of the black teas you’ve grown addicted to over the long winter but with hints of something more spring-like, fruity-sweet (indeed, a little musky-sweet; I sense that honey mentioned by others) and floral, lighter. Thumbs up.

TheTeaFairy

Hope you solve your Internet problems ASAP, we like having you around :-)

Dag Wedin

Oh i really enjoyed this one aswell! Sikkim is an area just north of darjeeling on the border of nepal and chinam so no wonder its “darjeelingy” :)

ifjuly

Aw, thanks TheTeaFairy! Yeah, it was awful all last week and then completely dead a long period this weekend…then as soon as I bothered to mention it and my predicted absence via hard-to-type mobile devices it started working again. Eh!

Dag Wedin, thanks for the info! I wondered…I do love that style. A really good Nepali tea or lovely Darjeeling, mmmm! It’s cool to know yet another source name to keep in mind. (:

TeaBrat

I like a good Temi tea myself…

This one is a nice, mild tea. It’s not really exceptional in my opinion, but there’s nothing wrong with it either. It brews up on the light side and has some pleasant fruitiness—there’s grape like you would expect from a Darjeeling but there’s also something citrusy. Almost like a tangerine. The aftertaste is honey-like, almost to the point of being like caramel. That said there is an astringency to it that’s just a bit too much for me.

Very mellow tea, resembles a 2nd flush Darjeeling with its light to dark brown leaves and medium liquor color. Very interesting tea as I am a huge Darjeeling fan I thought this would be an interesting try and was not disappointed, very reminiscent of the Darjeeling I have had while a little different in its more sweet, honey like taste compared to the dry muscat of its cousin.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Nuts

Meh. It was okay. Not great.