Sencha of the Summer Sun

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Freshly Cut Grass, Hay, Kale, Spinach, Vegetable Broth, Earth, Grass, Smooth, Summer, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Beany, Camphor, Clove, Vegetal, Seaweed, Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by pkmnnerdfighter

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Medium-light in body, Summer Sun has a light astringency with gentle kiwi undertones. The liquor is a bold brass yellow with an aroma of moist timber. The lingering aftertaste is floral and sharp. Grown in full sunshine and made from the summer harvest, Summer Sun is a bright July tea.

Taste: Astringent
Body: Medium
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Unshaded
Processing: Lightly Steamed, Rolled, Dried

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

Very nice, and quite different from other Japanese Senchas I’ve tried. This tea is very much like the description depicts: it starts off with a savory bitterness which wanes into a smooth sweetness toward the tail, and then there is an astringency that cleanses.

I enjoy this for how different it is. It is probably not a Sencha I’d drink every day, but, it is one that I’d enjoy on occasion, and it would definitely make a pleasing palate cleanser after meals.

Azzrian

Never heard of this tea vendor – thanks for someone new to check out! :)

TeaBrat

I want to try this company too – waiting for the 2012 season!

I finally opened this sencha! I was trying to finish my Sencha Fukamidori from Den’s first, since these types of greens apparently spoil rather quickly.

This is very different from the senchas I’m used to. It is still buttery and spinachy, but there’s a haylike or grassy quality as well. Kind of like sencha with some white tea thrown in? I find it interesting that this is the summer harvest sencha, because the hay notes really make me think of summer time!

There is a little sweetness but not as much as other senchas, so this one seems pretty savory to me. No bitteness at all though (I made sure to steep at a nice low temp) and very little astringency. Nice sencha, very glad I won it from a Yunomi.us giveaway! :)

Fjellrev

Congrats on the win!

An Exceptional Green! Very lovely! A SS Gift from Brian! Thanks so much! :)

Very clean and crisp and spring and a true green! YUM!

I drank this iced. I love love this tea. Tastes like buttery spinach. Used 1 tablespoon for 16 oz. This is my kind of sencha. No real astringency, slight sweetness.

Their description is right, this is a very bold tea for a Japanese green.
The loose leaf had an interesting look… there were a few leaves that were compressed together like a pu-erh tea cake.

The first steeping wasn’t as bitter as they described. It mostly tasted like a low quality sencha, in my opinion. I think I over brewed the 2nd steeping, as it was incredibly astringent and not much else. This would go well with strong tasting foods, as it is strong enough itself to not get masked.

Another very nice tea from Obubu Tea Plantations in Kyoto. I have been drinking this today using the parameters specified by Obubu, and it makes for a very pleasant set of infusions of a very bright and lightly buttery character. Nice vegetal taste with only a slight touch of bitterness in the first steep. It doesn’t take much imagination to taste the “early summer sun shining brightly.”

A really nice healthy green taste; It goes well with food, but I am enjoying it all on it’s own!

A lot more savoury and less bitter than I was expecting, especially as I brewed this tea with near-boiling water. I really like this tea – it has a surprisingly strong taste for a sencha, very vegetal and buttery as you might expect, but with more umami than I would have expected. The taste becomes less rounded and more bitter as the tea cools.

This tea is taking me back to my childhood summertimes in an agricultural town, and it is such a winner from the sampler!

It is deeper than the Spring Sun, though maybe a little less complex. Dry leaf is gorgeous – a few shades of green varying in the leaf, and smelling like fresh cut grass (a big summer signifier for me). In the warmed kyusu, that became the scent of hay, then finally in the cup, a very vegetal taste – big leafy greens, like a rich salad in a cup.

I did not find this particularly astringent, though there were light notes to the bitterness (think kale stem), and more savory than sweet. Absolutely pair this with something bolder in flavor, as it has the strength to cut through.

Flavors: Freshly Cut Grass, Hay, Kale, Spinach, Vegetable Broth

165 °F / 73 °C 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I followed the steeping instructions from Yunomi for this one and it tastes like crap to me. First sencha I’ve not liked. It’s not grassy and fresh like most sencha’s. Just tastes old and astringent with a bit of bitterness. I’ve got some sencha’s a year old that tastes better than this. This is supposed to be a 2016 tea. Glad I only got a sample. Most others on here left a good review so I’ll try some different brewing of this tea before rating.

I really enjoy this tea. It’s sweet and grassy but doesn’t have that slight astringency that other senchas have. It’s very smooth and bright.

Flavors: Grass, Smooth, Summer, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass