Yellow Buds - Huo Shan Huang Ya

Yellow Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat

• “New experiment here for me - I've only had two other yellow teas, one was from Upton and I wasn't too keen on it, the other was from the Vital Tea Leaf and was very good. I've liked everything I've...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2179 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the samples Mandala generously sent me. So nice of them! This brews up incredibly light, as to be expected given the nature of yellow tea. It's a beautiful color in the cup. ...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 610 tasting notes
  • “I have a raging addiction to green tea and normally, I like it thick as pond water, sweet, dark, heavy on the tongue with powerful grassy notes (gyokuro is my baby). But this tea was a nice...” Read full tasting note
    cedarvillelady 1 tasting notes

From Mandala Tea

Yellow tea is a rare variant on green tea, in which the yellowing process mellows out the bitterness that is sometimes present in green tea. Light green tea flavor with a hint of chestnut.

Our Yellow Buds are from the An Hui Province which receives pure air and water that feeds these tea bushes. The quality and purity can be experienced in each steeping of this fine tea.

About Mandala Tea View company

New experiment here for me – I’ve only had two other yellow teas, one was from Upton and I wasn’t too keen on it, the other was from the Vital Tea Leaf and was very good. I’ve liked everything I’ve had from Mandala so far so I figured it was worth a shot.

I followed the instructions pretty carefully & used about 1 tsb of leaf in a 10 0z. cup. The tea liquor is a very light yellow (almost clear). I was pleasantly surprised to get a light floral aroma here. This is very pleasant, a bit reminiscent of a dragonwell. Some light nuttiness and a clover like flavor are what impresses me about this, as well as a hint of sweet corn. This tea is a bit light for my personal tastes but I have no doubt it’s a very quality tea. I think this will need to be cold brewed to see what else I can coax out of the gentle character, and perhaps I will use a bit more leaf even next time around!

Anyway this will be very nice to have around when I’m in a mood for something mild. I can see this would also be a nice choice on a day when I’m feeling sick because it’s nice and delicate.

This is one of the samples Mandala generously sent me. So nice of them!

This brews up incredibly light, as to be expected given the nature of yellow tea. It’s a beautiful color in the cup. Smells fresh and wonderful dry and steeping. At first it was so, so light, but the flavor builds as you drink more of it. It’s way different from the yellow tea I had from Zen, which was surprisingly dark and tasted like if you took qualities from every basic kind of tea—black, green, white, and oolong—and mixed them all up. This is more the way I expected yellow tea to be—light, refreshing, with elements of green tea (nutty, buttery) and white tea (lightly floral, gently sweet) and none of the bitterness greens can sometimes have. It’s delicate and delicious, so sweet and clean tasting like sweet corn (it tastes like fresh corn silk smells, if that makes sense), but with a very subtle creamy nut element too. It would be perfect on a warm summer day; it calls to mind crisp sugary-sweet spring and summer vegetables. Yay!

Stephanie

Oh, cool! I was eyeing this one :) Sounds yummy!

ifjuly

I really like it! Definitely a respite when you’re a little burned out on heavy black teas.

greenteafairy

This sounds delightful! Adding it to my shopping list now…

I have a raging addiction to green tea and normally, I like it thick as pond water, sweet, dark, heavy on the tongue with powerful grassy notes (gyokuro is my baby). But this tea was a nice variation on that theme, lighter, but still distinctly vegetal. The first time I worked with this tea I did they way it was recommended and the flavor was too much of a tease. The second time I did it my way… steeped low and slow to bring out its darker side. It was a wise choice for my palate.

The first term that comes to mind when tasting this tea is comforting. There’s a sweet, almost creamy quality to it on the front end…I think they’d say it was the chestnut referenced in their description but I’m not tied to any particular nut :) Now we’re not talking cream like the milk oolong (be still my heart), but nevertheless, the characteristic is present. It recedes against a vegetal background and you’re left with a satisfying, mild astringency and the faintest reminder of fresh mown hay that lets you know you’ve done something with your time. When work sucks, this is like a hug.

As for the shop itself, I couldn’t be more impressed with their model. Jamie says they visit the sites themselves and have actually abandoned sites due to a lack of quality in soil, air pollution or lack of sustainability. I asked Jamie about the notes he and Garrett leave in the shipping and he said they’re love notes to their customers. I’ve loved every tea I’ve ever tasted from this shop (milk oolong WHAT?!?!!), I appreciate their philosophy on business and life, and then I receive regular love letters from them? Is it possible to fall in love with a tea shop?

Garret

awwww…. this makes our day! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience(s) with this tea. 50% of the time I brew this one up “grandpa style” in a glass or a tea thermos. I like the bolder cup of this tea as it sounds like you do.

I was just going through some photos with customers in the shop of the area this tea was grown in. What a nice visit that was. Climbing the mountains to get to the tea, breathing that misty cool air. Oh, I must have some of this tea now!

Garret

That was such a treat to speak with you today on the telephone! Glad I had the time and the opportunity!