Yuzu Temple

Fruit Green Blend
Lemon Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “This is more of a (temporary) farewell than a tasting note. I have two full pots of tea beside me to help me get through this fifteen page paper. Yuzu Temple is one of them. Honestly, I don't think...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 496 tasting notes
  • “Will this sample ever end, *CrowKettle*? Haha. I think I have one more cup left. This is a really nice tea. I've seen reviews that say it's super picky, but I steep at about 170F, and no problems....” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1471 tasting notes
  • “oh yummm lemony, i mean lemonesque, goodness. cuz, ya know, it's yuzu not lemon. and stuff. but it is very nice. pepper lemon is a good description. cuz it's slightly tart but not sweet. and has a...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 739 tasting notes
  • “So my friend had allegedly (the guys at the Selfridge's location are always so slithery - sweet, but still very very slithery) bought too many sweet, fruity and floral teas, so the sample she got...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

This surprising blend, with its evocative name, is based on a fine green tea. It boasts the pleasantly round acidity of citrus fruit, the aromatic richness and peppery notes of mild spices, plus the rind of real Japanese Yuzu (halfway between lemon and mandarin orange). Resolutely exotic.

“Ce nouveau mélange au nom évocateur à base d’un beau thé vert a une rondeur d’agrume fruitée et acidulée, la richesse de belles notes aromatiques, poivrées et légèrement piquantes et les écorces éparses d’un vrai yuzu du Japon, entre citron et mandarine, pas tout à fait rond et résolument exotique.”

About Mariage Frères View company

This is more of a (temporary) farewell than a tasting note. I have two full pots of tea beside me to help me get through this fifteen page paper. Yuzu Temple is one of them. Honestly, I don’t think this one is going to get done on time but I can only keep working!

The citrus is strong with this one and at times it has salty and peppery notes. It has that sticky, cleaning, invigorating quality that you may notice in fruits of the same variety. It can be somewhat overwhelming like a perfume if you don’t keep it in check. I accidentally poured some into my cup that had previously been filled with English Rose and they surprisingly weren’t as oppositional as you would think. Hope the sweet and floral perfume overload doesn’t make me feel faint. It can do that sometimes. Need. TO. Be. Awake!

Anyways, I’m already excited to resume reading everyone’s tasting notes on the 16th! No sooner because I don’t want to see any spoilers for the twelve days of tea from 52teas. I don’t get to open mine up until I’m back on the mainland for the holidays. Happy tea drinking, everyone! :)

Cavocorax

I’m surprised you’re still working on your paper! I would have assumed you had to turn it in on the last day of class. Anyways… good luck! I found I did my best writing when I was up til 3AM. :P (Maybe not best, but.. quantity-wise I did well).

CrowKettle

Thank you!I’ve had to turn in three papers since class ended on the 3rd. This is the last of them and has the weird due date of Dec. 14th at 4PM. Whining about it is so much easier than actually doing it. :)

Will this sample ever end, CrowKettle? Haha. I think I have one more cup left.

This is a really nice tea. I’ve seen reviews that say it’s super picky, but I steep at about 170F, and no problems. Today I iced it and added a little honey (to celebrate buying more ice trays, FINALLY). Delicious. Yuzu is a somewhat floral citrus, more like pomelo than any other citrus I’ve tried, but it’s not really pomelo either.

Really delicious, a bit of bite from the green base today, but refreshing and light. Not something I need in my cupboard all the time, but I do quite like it.

Thanks so much for sharing!

(Brewed as below, poured over all the ice!)

oh yummm lemony, i mean lemonesque, goodness.
cuz, ya know, it’s yuzu not lemon. and stuff.
but it is very nice. pepper lemon is a good description. cuz it’s slightly tart but not sweet. and has a kinda delicate bite in the aftertaste.
thank you Scheherazade for this wonderfully aromatic tea!
i definitely like it even more than i thought i would.

Ysaurella

I’ve always been very curious about this tea but never dared buying it yet

So my friend had allegedly (the guys at the Selfridge’s location are always so slithery – sweet, but still very very slithery) bought too many sweet, fruity and floral teas, so the sample she got when she asked to try something not on her shopping list was Yuzu Temple.

I steeped this a little hot, which really brought out the peppery notes (I don’t like peppery or chilied teas at all). As it cools down, it gets increasingly perfumey, but it’s surprisingly smooth for a citrus tea. The main body is exactly that – a mouthful of smooth, tart citrus. Not bad at all, but it’s not as light or understated as either of the (potentially hallucinated) teas I mention in this review: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184901.

In complete accordance with the Mariage Frères profile, this tea is somewhat eccentric; the tea equivalent of a fur stola-clad grande dame with very fixed ideas, leaving a cloud of citrus perfume behind as she sweeps out of the room.

In terms of citrus, I’m still going to be stocking the brutal and refreshing Kusmi ginger-lemon, but I won’t mind finishing the rest of this sample at all.

[Sample surreptitiously acquired from Mariage Frères in London, August 2013.]

I was scared of this one for a long time. I think I expected it to be bitter and astringent, but I don’t really know why. A hangover from my early bad green tea experiences, I guess. In any case, this was a really pleasant surprise. I gave it two and a half minutes, because I was too worried to give it any longer than that. I may in future, though. I was rewarded with a fairly bright medium yellow-green liquor, with the vague scent of citrus.

To taste, I’m getting a flavour somewhere between mandarin and lemon, which makes sense as that’s what a yuzu is, more or less, as far as I know. There are slight notes of peppery sharpness almost like lemon, but also hints of juicy, almost orangey, sweetness. They balance each other out perfectly, and make for an interesting and unique combination.

The green tea base is pleasant too. It’s smooth and almost sweet, with no astringency at all. This cup came across fairly weak, I think because I gave it such a short brew time, but I can remedy that in future. I have almost a whole 100g tin, after all. I was worried about that, but now I’m not! Great stuff.

Hot for chilly spring days and cold for sweaty summer days. Anytime of the year, I can taste the flavor of my favorite agrum: the yuzu. Drink this tea, Japan is calling you!

Sent by OMGsrsly via Crowkettle

Honestly I didn’t get any flavour out of this one. Didn’t really taste like anything. I’m trying to get through a lot of teas right now so I actually ended up dumping it, no sense drinking tea that tastes like nothing!

Though I appreciate getting to try it :)
I think I’m more a fan of MF’s black and gourmand teas.

Ysaurella

I didn’t like this one neither. MF proposes a lot of nice green teas even if I am not very green but this one is really meh.

CrowKettle

I enjoyed this one when I first got it ages ago, when I first started drinking loose leaf, but it was never a dynamic blend even when it did have flavour.

I love yuzu. I really do. When I noticed Mariage Freres had a yuzu flavoured green tea, I just had to go for it. However, I remained a little disappointed. Sure, it’s good. Sure, it tastes of yuzu, but it’s just not that evocative for me. Would rather go for a non flavoured green tea like Fuji Yama for example. NOt bad, just not anything spectacular.

Flavors: Lemon Zest

Thank you Scheherazade for this sample. I was curious about this one since a while.
Unfortunately this is not a tea for me.
Green but without astringency, flavoured but without any notable taste (some pale citrus maybe and on aftertaste)…I’m not able to taste the tea base neither…It is a pleasant cup of hot water tainted with a pale yellow herbal something.
Clearly the right tea for those who keep thinking tea is nothing but hot water…really…What have you done Mariage Frères ? it clearly doesn’t match with your habitual quality…

Another bonus from my swap with Scheherazade but unfortunately this one isn’t right up my alley. I first steeped it in the timolino at work the other day and worried that the metallic taste I was getting from it was due to the timolino, but today I’ve brewed in glass and served in china and it’s still tinny in my mouth. I guess that’s green tea though! I haven’t had green for a while, maybe I’ve just forgotten how to drink it…