Yuzu Temple

Fruit Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “This is more of a (temporary) farewell than a tasting note. I have two full pots of tea beside me to help me get through this fifteen page paper. Yuzu Temple is one of them. Honestly, I don't think...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 450 tasting notes
  • “Another green tea today. I thought I only had a cup of this left, but it looks like after this one, there are THREE more cups in my package! What a generous sample from *CrowKettle*. :) This one...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1172 tasting notes
  • “oh yummm lemony, i mean lemonesque, goodness. cuz, ya know, it's yuzu not lemon. and stuff. but it is very nice. pepper lemon is a good description. cuz it's slightly tart but not sweet. and has a...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 722 tasting notes
  • “So my friend had allegedly (the guys at the Selfridge's location are always so slithery - sweet, but still very very slithery) bought too many sweet, fruity and floral teas, so the sample she got...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 263 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

This surprising blend, with its evocative name, is based on a fine green tea. It boasts the pleasantly round acidity of citrus fruit, the aromatic richness and peppery notes of mild spices, plus the rind of real Japanese Yuzu (halfway between lemon and mandarin orange). Resolutely exotic.

“Ce nouveau mélange au nom évocateur à base d’un beau thé vert a une rondeur d’agrume fruitée et acidulée, la richesse de belles notes aromatiques, poivrées et légèrement piquantes et les écorces éparses d’un vrai yuzu du Japon, entre citron et mandarine, pas tout à fait rond et résolument exotique.”

About Mariage Frères View company

This is more of a (temporary) farewell than a tasting note. I have two full pots of tea beside me to help me get through this fifteen page paper. Yuzu Temple is one of them. Honestly, I don’t think this one is going to get done on time but I can only keep working!

The citrus is strong with this one and at times it has salty and peppery notes. It has that sticky, cleaning, invigorating quality that you may notice in fruits of the same variety. It can be somewhat overwhelming like a perfume if you don’t keep it in check. I accidentally poured some into my cup that had previously been filled with English Rose and they surprisingly weren’t as oppositional as you would think. Hope the sweet and floral perfume overload doesn’t make me feel faint. It can do that sometimes. Need. TO. Be. Awake!

Anyways, I’m already excited to resume reading everyone’s tasting notes on the 16th! No sooner because I don’t want to see any spoilers for the twelve days of tea from 52teas. I don’t get to open mine up until I’m back on the mainland for the holidays. Happy tea drinking, everyone! :)

Cavocorax

I’m surprised you’re still working on your paper! I would have assumed you had to turn it in on the last day of class. Anyways… good luck! I found I did my best writing when I was up til 3AM. :P (Maybe not best, but.. quantity-wise I did well).

CrowKettle

Thank you!I’ve had to turn in three papers since class ended on the 3rd. This is the last of them and has the weird due date of Dec. 14th at 4PM. Whining about it is so much easier than actually doing it. :)

Another green tea today. I thought I only had a cup of this left, but it looks like after this one, there are THREE more cups in my package! What a generous sample from CrowKettle. :)

This one is a bit tricksy. You have to steep it cool or it goes bitter. 160F works for me, and brings out the lovely citrus flavour. Mmm.

I really like this green tea, but not enough to buy a whole tin. :) I just don’t reach for green teas often enough to make it worthwhile.

Now I’m going to make another mug of tea and go for a walk, and pop into work to pick up my mittens and kitty toque.

oh yummm lemony, i mean lemonesque, goodness.
cuz, ya know, it’s yuzu not lemon. and stuff.
but it is very nice. pepper lemon is a good description. cuz it’s slightly tart but not sweet. and has a kinda delicate bite in the aftertaste.
thank you Scheherazade for this wonderfully aromatic tea!
i definitely like it even more than i thought i would.

Ysaurella

I’ve always been very curious about this tea but never dared buying it yet

So my friend had allegedly (the guys at the Selfridge’s location are always so slithery – sweet, but still very very slithery) bought too many sweet, fruity and floral teas, so the sample she got when she asked to try something not on her shopping list was Yuzu Temple.

I steeped this a little hot, which really brought out the peppery notes (I don’t like peppery or chilied teas at all). As it cools down, it gets increasingly perfumey, but it’s surprisingly smooth for a citrus tea. The main body is exactly that – a mouthful of smooth, tart citrus. Not bad at all, but it’s not as light or understated as either of the (potentially hallucinated) teas I mention in this review: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184901.

In complete accordance with the Mariage Frères profile, this tea is somewhat eccentric; the tea equivalent of a fur stola-clad grande dame with very fixed ideas, leaving a cloud of citrus perfume behind as she sweeps out of the room.

In terms of citrus, I’m still going to be stocking the brutal and refreshing Kusmi ginger-lemon, but I won’t mind finishing the rest of this sample at all.

[Sample surreptitiously acquired from Mariage Frères in London, August 2013.]

I was scared of this one for a long time. I think I expected it to be bitter and astringent, but I don’t really know why. A hangover from my early bad green tea experiences, I guess. In any case, this was a really pleasant surprise. I gave it two and a half minutes, because I was too worried to give it any longer than that. I may in future, though. I was rewarded with a fairly bright medium yellow-green liquor, with the vague scent of citrus.

To taste, I’m getting a flavour somewhere between mandarin and lemon, which makes sense as that’s what a yuzu is, more or less, as far as I know. There are slight notes of peppery sharpness almost like lemon, but also hints of juicy, almost orangey, sweetness. They balance each other out perfectly, and make for an interesting and unique combination.

The green tea base is pleasant too. It’s smooth and almost sweet, with no astringency at all. This cup came across fairly weak, I think because I gave it such a short brew time, but I can remedy that in future. I have almost a whole 100g tin, after all. I was worried about that, but now I’m not! Great stuff.

Hot for chilly spring days and cold for sweaty summer days. Anytime of the year, I can taste the flavor of my favorite agrum: the yuzu. Drink this tea, Japan is calling you!

Another bonus from my swap with Scheherazade but unfortunately this one isn’t right up my alley. I first steeped it in the timolino at work the other day and worried that the metallic taste I was getting from it was due to the timolino, but today I’ve brewed in glass and served in china and it’s still tinny in my mouth. I guess that’s green tea though! I haven’t had green for a while, maybe I’ve just forgotten how to drink it…

This is a tea that Scheherazade shared with me. I have never heard of anything by the name of Yuzu before, so I had to look it up. Initially I thought it was the name of the type of green tea, but it turns out that it’s the fruit it’s flavoured with. Further investigation reveals that it’s a kind of citrus fruit that grows in East Asia. It looks like a mandarin and supposedly tastes like a mix of grapefruit, mandarin and lemon. So I’m left to expect something that can somehow manage to be sweet, bitter and tart at the same time. How is that going to work?

Citrus-y conundrums aside, I tend to find that green tea and citrus go quite well together, so I’m rather looking forward to tasting it now.

It does actually manage to smell like all those three citrus fruits mentioned earlier all at once. Imagine a triangle with grapefruit, lemon and mandarin at the corners. Right there in the middle of the triangle. That’s what it smells like. I wouldn’t have thought it was possible. Now, the danger of lemon-y things is that they might wind up smelling a bit like washing up liquid, but I don’t think this one does. It smells rather like a fruit I would like to taste.

There’s a good deal of bitterness in the flavour. It’s not oversteeping-bitter or too-warm-water-bitter, it’s more like grapefruit-bitter. Like when you get a bit of the peel as well as the fruit. Apart from that the flavour isn’t really reminding me all that much of grapefruit, mandarin or lemon, although it is decidedly citrus-y. More sort of bergamot-ish to me. Like a bergamot that has been tarted up a bit with some lemon. It does go really well with the green tea though.

Hmmm… I’m not sure what I think of this. It seems to be rather refreshing, but I’m not sure I can drink very much of it without getting a bit tired of that bitter note.

The citric tartness of Yuzu Rind, complement the drink, it’s not a tea for those who don’t like tart teas, but its a good tea if you are wanting an inbetween from an herbal fruity tea and a pure green tea.

Brewed at 70°C in a big teapot.
I’m not a big fan of the Yuzu flavor. It was ok though, the flavor is strong enough without being overwhelming. This tea is only avaible in metal box for now, making it way over-priced.