Yuzu Temple

Green Tea
Citrus, Lemon Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by cteresa

From Mariage Frères

This surprising blend, with its evocative name, is based on a fine green tea. It boasts the pleasantly round acidity of citrus fruit, the aromatic richness and peppery notes of mild spices, plus the rind of real Japanese Yuzu (halfway between lemon and mandarin orange). Resolutely exotic.

“Ce nouveau mélange au nom évocateur à base d’un beau thé vert a une rondeur d’agrume fruitée et acidulée, la richesse de belles notes aromatiques, poivrées et légèrement piquantes et les écorces éparses d’un vrai yuzu du Japon, entre citron et mandarine, pas tout à fait rond et résolument exotique.”

About Mariage Frères View company

This is more of a (temporary) farewell than a tasting note. I have two full pots of tea beside me to help me get through this fifteen page paper. Yuzu Temple is one of them. Honestly, I don’t think this one is going to get done on time but I can only keep working!

The citrus is strong with this one and at times it has salty and peppery notes. It has that sticky, cleaning, invigorating quality that you may notice in fruits of the same variety. It can be somewhat overwhelming like a perfume if you don’t keep it in check. I accidentally poured some into my cup that had previously been filled with English Rose and they surprisingly weren’t as oppositional as you would think. Hope the sweet and floral perfume overload doesn’t make me feel faint. It can do that sometimes. Need. TO. Be. Awake!

Anyways, I’m already excited to resume reading everyone’s tasting notes on the 16th! No sooner because I don’t want to see any spoilers for the twelve days of tea from 52teas. I don’t get to open mine up until I’m back on the mainland for the holidays. Happy tea drinking, everyone! :)

Cavocorax

I’m surprised you’re still working on your paper! I would have assumed you had to turn it in on the last day of class. Anyways… good luck! I found I did my best writing when I was up til 3AM. :P (Maybe not best, but.. quantity-wise I did well).

CrowKettle

Thank you!I’ve had to turn in three papers since class ended on the 3rd. This is the last of them and has the weird due date of Dec. 14th at 4PM. Whining about it is so much easier than actually doing it. :)

1927 tasting notes

Will this sample ever end, CrowKettle? Haha. I think I have one more cup left.

This is a really nice tea. I’ve seen reviews that say it’s super picky, but I steep at about 170F, and no problems. Today I iced it and added a little honey (to celebrate buying more ice trays, FINALLY). Delicious. Yuzu is a somewhat floral citrus, more like pomelo than any other citrus I’ve tried, but it’s not really pomelo either.

Really delicious, a bit of bite from the green base today, but refreshing and light. Not something I need in my cupboard all the time, but I do quite like it.

Thanks so much for sharing!

(Brewed as below, poured over all the ice!)

oh yummm lemony, i mean lemonesque, goodness.
cuz, ya know, it’s yuzu not lemon. and stuff.
but it is very nice. pepper lemon is a good description. cuz it’s slightly tart but not sweet. and has a kinda delicate bite in the aftertaste.
thank you Scheherazade for this wonderfully aromatic tea!
i definitely like it even more than i thought i would.

Ysaurella

I’ve always been very curious about this tea but never dared buying it yet

So my friend had allegedly (the guys at the Selfridge’s location are always so slithery – sweet, but still very very slithery) bought too many sweet, fruity and floral teas, so the sample she got when she asked to try something not on her shopping list was Yuzu Temple.

I steeped this a little hot, which really brought out the peppery notes (I don’t like peppery or chilied teas at all). As it cools down, it gets increasingly perfumey, but it’s surprisingly smooth for a citrus tea. The main body is exactly that – a mouthful of smooth, tart citrus. Not bad at all, but it’s not as light or understated as either of the (potentially hallucinated) teas I mention in this review: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184901.

In complete accordance with the Mariage Frères profile, this tea is somewhat eccentric; the tea equivalent of a fur stola-clad grande dame with very fixed ideas, leaving a cloud of citrus perfume behind as she sweeps out of the room.

In terms of citrus, I’m still going to be stocking the brutal and refreshing Kusmi ginger-lemon, but I won’t mind finishing the rest of this sample at all.

[Sample surreptitiously acquired from Mariage Frères in London, August 2013.]

I was scared of this one for a long time. I think I expected it to be bitter and astringent, but I don’t really know why. A hangover from my early bad green tea experiences, I guess. In any case, this was a really pleasant surprise. I gave it two and a half minutes, because I was too worried to give it any longer than that. I may in future, though. I was rewarded with a fairly bright medium yellow-green liquor, with the vague scent of citrus.

To taste, I’m getting a flavour somewhere between mandarin and lemon, which makes sense as that’s what a yuzu is, more or less, as far as I know. There are slight notes of peppery sharpness almost like lemon, but also hints of juicy, almost orangey, sweetness. They balance each other out perfectly, and make for an interesting and unique combination.

The green tea base is pleasant too. It’s smooth and almost sweet, with no astringency at all. This cup came across fairly weak, I think because I gave it such a short brew time, but I can remedy that in future. I have almost a whole 100g tin, after all. I was worried about that, but now I’m not! Great stuff.

Hot for chilly spring days and cold for sweaty summer days. Anytime of the year, I can taste the flavor of my favorite agrum: the yuzu. Drink this tea, Japan is calling you!

This is the first tea I’m trying from Scheherazade! Her swap package arrived this morning while I was at work; definitely earlier than I expected it to. I really hope mine makes it to her soon!

I guarantee I would have never picked this for myself, and that’s why I love that my most recent swaps have all been “pick out some random teas for me” kind of deals. I’ve tried a lot of tea that I would have otherwise ignored. Case and point, when I pulled everything out this was the one that jumped out the most to me that I was all “I have to try this tonight” about.

It’s interesting; the green base has a lot of marine notes to it and is pleasantly mild despite that. And I don’t love green tea, but paired with lemon it’s actually quite nice. This lemon in particular is kind of semi-sweet and reminds me a lot of lemon rind and pith what with the gentle, pleasant bitterness. I didn’t taste the ‘pepper’ element of the tea until halfway through the mug when it had cooled down a fair bit. I’m not 100% sure I liked it, but I certainly found it really interesting. Totally pulls together to create a lemon pepper flavour. It seems like it should be obvious that’s what it would taste like, though.

Not living with my family anymore it’s weird not knowing if things I remember about them are still true, but before I had moved out a few years ago my brother was obsessed with lemon pepper; he’d garnish just about anything with it. If that’s still true today I bet this is one tea I could very easily talk him into trying…

A friend of mine gave me several bags of this tea and i am on my last bag. Now that I am on my last bag I can agree that the brew can vary quite a bit depending on the temperature and steep time.

My favorite brew so far has been todays. I let the water cool down a little bit before I steeped and the brew came out rather nice. Green base, nice hit of citrus and the faintest amount of spice (peppery) for a nice kick.

I made this again, this time a cold steep, and this is sadly still not a tea for me.

The cold steep is still quite bitter, as a steepsterite mentioned to me, there is a lot of pith in here somehow. And very strangely maybe there is a touch of cinnamon here? a hint of a spice, lurking in the cold infusion? I sweetened this a lot, iced tea seems to call for it, and it does improve the tea a bit, but still a frustrating tea for me.

Ysaurella

It wasn’t a tea for me neither Teresa.

cteresa

It is an interesting idea though. Glad I only got 50 grams! (thanks to you).

I got to tell you about Route du Temps though, but I must make it again, for a proper taste note and it´s hot (hot is overrated) and I am being wary of caffeine so it might take me a while longer to do a proper taste note of it.

Ysaurella

I’m looking forward to get your opinion about Route du Temps Teresa.

cteresa

I finally wrote a note! It is a very unusual tea IMO, but one I unexpectedly liked very much.

I had fun on that airport shop – it was small, but they did not mind I opened every sample tea. I thought of you, they had The de Paques en vrac, and I also got (for myself) Rouge Opera en vrac which they did not have in the Marais shop except in tins. Though that was a dud, it turned out.

If I’m honest, I’ve absolutely mangled steeping parameters on this tea a couple times. (Ever accidentally forget you heated the water to 200F for something else and then pour it on green tea. That moment, man.) But I’ve never actually had a bad cup of it.

I think it tastes best with a 90 second steep at 175F. The green base is vegetal and bright without being astringent, and there’s an underlying semi-sweet floral element in the aftertaste. I don’t know if I read the yuzu as strictly yuzu, but it’s a bright orange/lemon hybrid citrus note, that pairs well with the rest of the cup.

Perfect for sunshine and spring days.

cteresa

I just brewed it for the first time, and I think i used the water too hot as well. But it works!