Malt, Maple, Maple Syrup, Bitter, Smoke, Smoked
Edit tea info Last updated by Dorothy

From Metropolitan Tea Company

The mighty Maple Tree provides us with a most unique syrup-coveted by many as he finest flavor in the world. Early settlers to North America’s shores were shown by the Indians how to make maple syrup and to this day the process remains virtually unchanged. This premium tea captures the fine flavour and spirt of the Maple Tree.

About Metropolitan Tea Company View company

1957 tasting notes

Purchased this one at the tea meet in Victoria yesterday. :) Mine is loose-leaf.

It’s a nice black tea, but the maple flavour is really mild. I was hoping for a stronger maple flavour. Oh well. The tea has a good black base, takes a little milk and sugar well, and I will definitely drink it all. It’s not likely I will repurchase, though.

1 heaping tsp in 12 oz water. (I couldn’t find brewing instructions on this one. Hmm.)

Haha, darn. I got all excited when I saw this note hoping for an end all maple flavored black tea. I’m an absolute FIEND when it comes to maple. FIEND. xD

Sorry! I don’t know if the store doesn’t have great turnover so it’s a little old, or if the tea just isn’t very mapley. Do you have any recommendations for decent maple black teas?

Have you tried Steam’s maple black?

I think I ordered one or two maple blacks from Tealux recently – will try to drink and log them asap so you know if they’re good or not!

Oh, thanks Karys! I hadn’t realized they have a Maple Black. I’ll have to check it out.

And thanks, Kittenna. I’d love to know what you think of them. I want to make another Tealux order this summer sometime… :)

Never tried this from the bagged tea box, mine is from a large vacuum sealed plastic bag (and is Orange Pekoe grade loose leaf).

Smelling the dry tea leaves, it reminded me of a root beer float (doesn’t taste like it though).
I found this to be a nice flavored black tea. I thought it might be a bit too sugary but that wasn’t the case. It has a subtle maple flavor and the black tea (which is from Sri Lanka) itself mixes very well with it. The black tea isn’t too bitter or sharp tasting. Sweet enough by itself, you shouldn’t need to add anything extra to it.

The other tea reviewers mentioned a dry feeling at the back of your throat. I sort of get that, but it doesn’t seem too bad. Maybe it has something to do with the bagged version?

Surprise! Maple syrup taste is found in this black tea…it is best straight, I tried it with milk and I prefer it plain. Not too shabby.

It’s not a tea that I can get used to. That’s not to say that I don’t like it, it’s just not what I expect from a tea!

This has a very sweet smell, sickly and sweet. Luckily it doesn’t taste so sweet, although it is sweet compared to most teas.

In the taste, the ceylon tea balances out the sweetness of the maple, and they are probably in about the right balance. But somehow the two flavours don’t quite mesh together.

I have enjoyed it, but I can’t say that it stands out as being my favourite tea – just as being a bit interesting and a bit different. Worth a try, but do like I did, and get a pack of a dozen bags, not a hundred!

Amazing with the Canadian Ice Wine flavored cookies…..same with the ice wine tea. Otherwise, another malty Ceylon with a syrupy taste. I like it in the evening in the cold despite my inherent restlessness. Also, honey really pushes forward the syrupy nature of this tea. Again, my friends love it but I wouldn’t recommend this tea to every one on here. If you were looking for a decent bagged tea, though, I would say that this company would leave you with a more satisfied, full taste.

Flavors: Malt, Maple, Maple Syrup

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’ve had this tea 3 or 4 times at a local tea room, and it’s been lovely. It’s nice clear, but it’s better with milk & sugar. I bought some loose leaf because I’ve enjoyed it so much, but first impressions upon opening the bag weren’t great. It smelled very smoky, and there was almost no trace of the maple at all. Tasted better once I’d brewed it, but I’m worried I used too much tea and brewed for too long.

The first steep was actually pretty good, although the smoky scent still lingered. I resteeped the same leaves about 8 hours later…bad idea, don’t recommend it. Had to add a ton of sugar and a bit of milk to make it drinkable.

Flavors: Bitter, Maple, Smoke, Smoked

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 250 ML

It leaves a dry cracking feeling at the back of my throat. I have to drink water and still I can’t get rid of it. It has a weird smell and doesn’t taste like maple.

Fairly smooth and buttery. A little dry on the back of the throat, but not a bad bagged tea.

Super sweet! I added some lemon and it made it divine…