Gold Thread Reserve

Brown Sugar, Malt, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by Blodeuyn

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Our Gold Thread Reserve is the first pick of the Spring 2011 season, from the same Feng Qing tea garden that produced our regular Gold Thread. It is comprised of young tender leaf buds, each individually hand-picked to not only deliver the aromatics for which this tea is known, but also the sweetness and exceptionally smooth mouth feel that can only come from early stage tea buds. The tea buds used in our reserve grade was gathered a week and a half before those used in our regular Gold Thread.

Developed in the late 1930’s, Gold Thread Reserve is alternatively known as Jin Ya Dian Hong. “Jin Ya” means “gold bud” in Chinese, and “Dian Hong” means Yunnan red. The tea was crafted from the buds of the Da Ye tea plant, an ancient cultivar indigenous to Yunnan Province and one traditionally used to produce Pu-erh teas.

Once harvested, the tea is left to sun wither, a step that breaks down the tea’s cell walls and begins the enzymatic oxidation process. Once withered, they are bruised and allowed to sit until the light green color of the buds take on a yellowish golden hue, at which point the tea is given its final roast.

The result is exceptionally smooth, breathtakingly aromatic and complex. The golden red infusion yields a malty sweetness (maltiness is enhanced by sun withering), with notes of orange, raisins, maple syrup and brown sugar.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

This is the second tea I ordered from Red Blossom and I am excited to finally do a tasting and prepare my notes.

Dry leaf aroma: Sweet potato with a malty background.

Dry leaf appearance: http://instagram.com/p/rnyl0zlcCK/

Preparation: Brewed western style in a glass infuser cup (which I also purchased from Red Blossom – and love – I think it is a Bodum).

First steeping: 1 minutes 45 seconds at 200 degrees. The aroma stays true to the dry leaf – sweet potato and malt, with a slight suggestion of orange. The liquor is a beautiful amber brown which seems appropriate paired with the aromatic suggestions of malt and sweet potatoes (perhaps I am ready for autumn; this color and fragrance combination is lulling me into nostalgia this evening). The flavor is multifaceted and at first it is hard for me to separate the different layers. Foremost is a pleasant maltiness with a delicate sweet potato undertone and I find as I let the cup cool notes of brown sugar appear. I was a bit disappointed I did not detect any raisin or maple syrup in this steeping (as per their website tasting notes). However, when I smell my empty cup the aroma is a heady raisin. The aftertaste is a reminiscent of sweet potatoes, with a slight starchy mouth-feel.

Second steeping: 2 minutes 5 seconds at 200 degrees. A sweet potato and malty fragrance still prevails. I do not detect any scent of orange with this steeping but as the cup cools I pick up notes of raisin. For this infusion the brown sugar and raisin notes are shining through the base flavors of sweet potato and malt. The aftertaste is also sweeter, with a refined raisin finish.

Third steeping: 2 minutes 35 seconds at 200 degrees. The third brewing has a much weaker aroma; sweet potato and malt again. The flavor is much the same as the second steeping though not as strong. The aftertaste is malty raisin and the starchy mouth-feel is still present.

The fourth steeping was unremarkable though not unpleasant. I think three steepings is a good cutoff for me.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Malt, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes

200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 45 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Cameron B.

Wow gorgeous leaves! Sounds delicious, I love Yunnan teas. :)

Very smooth, tasty black tea. Not as flavorful as I would like, but I may have used not enough tea in too much water.

Had this tea hot to warm up to. I love the smell, to begin with. The dark color of the tea looked like coffee brewed and there was definitely a texture to the tea. I brewed it a little bit longer than I was supposed to (I got distracted!) but it never got bitter. I’ll reserve this for a treat on foggy mornings.